sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6779|Argentina
As you may have noticed a lot of Religion threads have been posted lately trying to prove or disprove a Religion or a system of beliefs.
I found myself several times trying to disprove the belief of someone else.  And I think that's wrong.

Since this is an important time of the year for some Religions, we should follow some rules from now on, when it comes to Religious debates:

Do you want to believe in Jesus as the son of God?  Fine, you have the right to do so, and you have the right to do it without being persecuted. 
Do you want to believe in Muhammad, the 72 virgins and heaven?  Fine, you have the right to do so, and you have the right to do it without being persecuted.
Do you want to believe in any other Religion?  Fine, you have the right to do so, and you have the right to do it without being persecuted.
Do you want to believe there's nothing else than science and life on Earth?  Fine, you have the right to do so, and you have the right to do it without being persecuted. 
Do you want to believe that the existence of God is unknown, therefore you lack the necessary knowledge and it's impossible to prove or disprove?  Fine, you have the right to do so, and you have the right to do it without being persecuted. 
Do you want to disprove someone else's beliefs?  Don't do it, because you haven't the right to do so.  Show respect for them, even if you don't agree at all.

Let's try to discuss Religious beliefs without trying to convert other people to our own system of beliefs.

Happy Easter
Happy Pesah
Happy Holidays
Happy Weekend
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

Do we have "Hare" club for men members?
https://i10.tinypic.com/35ddq84.jpg

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-04-05 11:16:23)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6671|Washington DC

sergeriver wrote:

Let's try to discuss Religious beliefs without trying to convert other people to our own system of beliefs.

Happy Easter
Happy Pesah
Happy Holidays
Happy Weekend
Hey Serge, quit trying to convert me to your pluralistic ideologies .. OK?

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6779|Argentina

OrangeHound wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Happy Easter
Happy Pesah
Happy Holidays
Happy Weekend

My fault, sorry.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6671|Washington DC

sergeriver wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Happy Easter
Happy Pesah
Happy Holidays
Happy Weekend

My fault, sorry.
I was kidding, I hope you know.  Conversion to one's side is at the heart of any debate, so it is hard to avoid.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6671

Easter makes me happy because it brings the happy world of Creme Eggs to my stomach. Mmmmm...
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6541|Πάϊ
That mean I can just believe in the 72 virgins? Wiiiiii!!! 

oh and that spaghetti thing!
ƒ³
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6779|Argentina

OrangeHound wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

My fault, sorry.
I was kidding, I hope you know.  Conversion to one's side is at the heart of any debate, so it is hard to avoid.
I know, I'm just saying we should try to be more respectful with each other when it comes about Religion and personal beliefs.
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6731|Charlie One Alpha

OrangeHound wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

My fault, sorry.
Maybe that's why there's no point in debating religion. Logical points can be made both for and against religion, but nobody listens. People who believe will keep on believing and people who refuse to believe will keep refusing to believe. Not believing in God is a religion on it's own, in terms of 'blindly believing'. Logic has no hold on people when it comes to religious issues, people on BOTH sides.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6779|Argentina

oug wrote:

That mean I can just believe in the 72 virgins? Wiiiiii!!! 

oh and that spaghetti thing!
Regarding the 72 virgins, when you go to heaven, do you get special powers?  I mean, cmon 72 virgins, all for you?
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6541|Πάϊ
I don't know man, but you can bet yer bottom $ I'm willing to try! Then again, what the hell, I'm not a greedy bastard... we could share!
ƒ³
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6731|Charlie One Alpha

oug wrote:

I don't know man, but you can bet yer bottom $ I'm willing to try! Then again, what the hell, I'm not a greedy bastard... we could share!
One or two hot virgins would be enough for me.. you could have the other 70.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6779|Argentina

LaidBackNinja wrote:

oug wrote:

One or two hot virgins would be enough for me.. you could have the other 70.
Can you ask a nympho instead of a virgin?  You'd still have other virgins.
Jet Blast
Banned
+15|6255
So I can worship the devil now?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6738

Jet Blast wrote:

So I can worship the devil now?
Yes.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
herrr_smity
+156|6649|space command ur anus
Odin is my god, beware i will go viking soon

Last edited by herrr_smity (2007-04-05 12:50:54)

Wreckognize
+294|6507
Part of having different views is having those views dissected, frowned upon, and debated.  Don't like it?  Tough shit.  Get used to it, cause that's life.
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6444|San Antonio, TX
Freedom of Religion is a myth, a rumor.  It doesn't exist!
Skorpy-chan
+127|6367|Twyford, UK
Yeah, can we get the fundamentalists out of here? They're opressing my civil rights.
TigerXtrm
Death by Indecency
+51|6390|Netherlands

sergeriver wrote:

As you may have noticed a lot of Religion threads have been posted lately trying to prove or disprove a Religion or a system of beliefs.
I found myself several times trying to disprove the belief of someone else.  And I think that's wrong.

Since this is an important time of the year for some Religions, we should follow some rules from now on, when it comes to Religious debates:

Do you want to believe in Jesus as the son of God?  Fine, you have the right to do so, and you have the right to do it without being persecuted. 
Do you want to believe in Muhammad, the 72 virgins and heaven?  Fine, you have the right to do so, and you have the right to do it without being persecuted.
Do you want to believe in any other Religion?  Fine, you have the right to do so, and you have the right to do it without being persecuted.
Do you want to believe there's nothing else than science and life on Earth?  Fine, you have the right to do so, and you have the right to do it without being persecuted. 
Do you want to believe that the existence of God is unknown, therefore you lack the necessary knowledge and it's impossible to prove or disprove?  Fine, you have the right to do so, and you have the right to do it without being persecuted. 
Do you want to disprove someone else's beliefs?  Don't do it, because you haven't the right to do so.  Show respect for them, even if you don't agree at all.

Happy Easter
Happy Pesah
Happy Holidays
Happy Weekend
Yes! But! You left this one out:

You believe in whatever god and try to rub it off on other people any way you can? Nope, you do not have the right and should be persecuted and killed instantly.

Tiger
PureFodder
+225|6307
Most of the recent religion vs athiesm threads seem to have been started specifically trying to use logical arguements to reason for both sides of the arguement. The problem is that this directly leads to trying to fault the other sides logic, and hence disprove the relgion of the person.

If you attempt to use logic or science in your arguements you can expect to have that logic or science attacked if people believe your reasoning or evidence is wrong. If your faithful then that's just fine, but if you are trying to use logic or science to defend or prove your religious point of view then you have no basis for complaining if someone points out a fault with your logic/evidence.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6671

Obey_m0rph3us wrote:

Part of having different views is having those views dissected, frowned upon, and debated.  Don't like it?  Tough shit.  Get used to it, cause that's life.
The point is, as religion is based upon faith, debating it is pointless as no matter how hard you try, you cannot prove faith wrong. Which is why having hundreds of topics about practically the same thing is stupid, as it gets us nowhere.
agent146
+127|6408|Jesus Land aka Canada
despite being roman catholic all my life. i learned something that changed my thinking all together is this "who are I to say that they are wrong and we are right" -if you believe that if you blow yourself up in a city square you will  get 72 virgins in heaven ... well if you believe hard enough it just might come true.  I can't say that you are wrong. btw as for the virgins nah man 1 virgin is already enough HAHA.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6787|Cambridge (UK)

sergeriver wrote:

Nice idea. It won't happen. Everyone holds a belief system (whether religious or not). It is the most important factor defining 'who we are'. And deep down every single one of us has a drive to make the world in our image. To convert the 'wrong-believers'. To make our personal 'paradise on earth'. The trouble is, though we band together in groups that share a rough collection of similar beliefs, we all have a unique idea of 'paradise on earth'.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6787|Cambridge (UK)

LaidBackNinja wrote:

Logic has no hold on people when it comes to religious issues, people on BOTH sides.
Some of us are on neither side.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard