Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6601|USA
Caught in the act with her lover, Tracy Denise Roberson -- thinking quickly, if not clearly -- cried rape, authorities say. Her husband pulled a gun and killed the other man with a shot to the head.
CNN.com

what is your opinion on this? I'm especially interested in hearing Bubbalo's and Lowing's, as they both always have interesting points of view.

should this have happened? should the man still be charged? (the other guy WAS apparently fleeing.)

personally, I don't think a manslaughter charge should be handed out at all. I think it was an unfortunate thing to happen; but the woman definitely needs some kind of prison term.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6579|UK

Mmmm not so sure about him but she certainly should face some sort of action, you cant let the message go that saying something as serious as rape to be a justifiable means of escaping an unwelcome disturbance, IE ur husband walking in on u (same goes for a wife walkin in).

Though I am a bit confused as to how he got the gun, did he have it on his person?  Did he go and fetch it?  If the guy was running did he chase him down then shoot him (he must of been one hell of a marksman to get a head shot on a moving target)?  All of which I guess would come to light in any trial, but depending on those outcomes I think we can see what should happen to him.  Though I think, he probably knew what was going on and shot him in revenge.

Martyn

Martyn
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6692|USA
She couldn't be truthful about her whorish ways. Send her to SuperMax.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6810|Great Brown North
while i agree with him shooting someone while thinking he was defending his wife, once the guy is driving away i dont think he should have continued firing at him.

but at the same time i dont think he should serve any prison time for it, at the very least that could be called diminished capacity couldnt it?

how would you react to someone raping your wife in front of you and then trying to escape?
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6452|San Antonio, TX
I don't think shooting at the vehicle leaving the scene is justified.  I think it's right that she is being charged because she is the "cause" of the death.  I just think the husband was a little fast on the trigger, not sure what law or level of offense he may deserve though.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6601|USA
@ silo and others,

I agree completely.

he should have some kind of disciplinary action levied on him, but I don't think it should be prison. perhaps some community service and some classes concerning what constitutes legal defense and whatnot.

certainly, the wife should be punished, she was the cause, like silo said.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6475|The Land of Scott Walker
The husband should not be charged, he thought he was protecting his wife.  The wife should be charged, she cried rape, causing her husband to respond with protective force.
topal63
. . .
+533|6748

Stingray24 wrote:

The husband should not be charged, he thought he was protecting his wife.  The wife should be charged, she cried rape, causing her husband to respond with protective force.
That's almost a plausible legal defense argument (considering our legal-system)... and very liberal of you to consider it - bravo!

Last edited by topal63 (2007-04-04 10:20:21)

An Enlarged Liver
+35|6773|Backward Ass Kansas
What a whore...

Seriously You come home, Find your wife naked in the driveway, have a gun in your hand, she says she was raped, and your NOT going to shoot at the car as it drives away??? I think you underestimate even yourself.

Last edited by An Enlarged Liver (2007-04-04 10:26:09)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6612|SE London

Wow. An genuinely interesting moral dilemma.

I think I have to agree with this:

Stingray24 wrote:

I'm sort of in two minds about it though, because if the guy was fleeing then he wasn't a threat - but the husbands actions are very understandable to me. Perhaps something should be done to the husband, certainly not jail time, but maybe a suspended sentence to reflect this type of overtly violent behaviour just to show him that shooting someone who's running away in the head is a bit over the top no matter what the circumstances.
Fen321
+54|6528|Singularity
Only in Amuerica .....wait no....only in Texas....

Help me out here, killing someone after the rape takes place --how does that constitute self defense in any way shape or form? Sounds more like revenge .
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6692|USA

Fen321 wrote:

Help me out here, killing someone after the rape takes place --how does that constitute self defense in any way shape or form? Sounds more like revenge .
"Heat of Passion" Defense.

Basically a spouse catches thier significant other and they have no control over thier rage for a small length of time. Kind of a temporary insanity defense.

Last edited by Mason4Assassin444 (2007-04-04 11:16:43)

Sgt.Kyle
Kyle
+48|6513|P-way, NJ
She should be charge for her actions..
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6580|CH/BR - in UK

Both are responsible - the wife has the majority of the blame though, imo. I think she should get quite a sentence for it - not life, but def. a few years...

-konfusion
Fen321
+54|6528|Singularity

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Fen321 wrote:

"Heat of Passion" Defense.

Basically a spouse catches thier significant other and they have no control over thier rage for a small length of time. Kind of a temporary insanity defense.
hehe I gotta say this is a tad bit funny -- the fact people can't control their emotions that is, or the thought that emotions control people.

I definitely see your point though.
Volatile
+252|6734|Sextupling in Empire

That bitch knew that what she was doing was wrong. Now she'll have plenty of time to reflect on her failure of a life.
wileyford
+5|6738
Various courts to include the US Supreme court has ruled on deadly force issues.  The guiding principle is what did individual know at the time.  The courts can't rule with what has been called "20/20 hindsight".  It has been presented that at the time he witnessed his wife in what appeared to be distress and she verbalized that she was being raped.  Furthermore the "victim" was probably given little if any time to explain the situation.  The husband seeing this acts in such a manner as that he believes he is defending his wife.  I do believe in Texas it's still legal to carry, I'll have to defer to Texas residents on this.  He will more than likely see no charges as murder or manslaughter.  Now there is the possibility that he could face reckless discharge  or it's equivalent etc (sorry from Illinois and familiar with Illinois laws, not Texas).  The real kicker may come in the form of a civil lawsuit filed by the "victims" next of kin. 

If this were a case in Illinois it would be covered by what is termed the "Felony Murder Doctrine".  Simply put, if a person acts in such a way to further or facilitate the murder of another, even though they may not have committed the act of murder they can be charged with the crime. 

As far as killing someone after a rape, again I defer to residents of Texas.  In Illinois Rape is a Forcible Felony.  Rules for Forcible Felonies in Illinois differ greatly than for non Forcibles and Misdemeanors.  The to apply to this particular situation are:
1.     What is rape in Texas (Forcible Felony/ Felony etc) and what are the applicable use of force options for
         a subject fleeing the scene of said crime
2.     What does the laws are pertinent to define residence and property
3.     What are civilians permitted to do while carrying firearms and upon seeing what they believe to be a
         crime of force
4.     What was the husband's mental state at the time

And don't think that anyone else in that situation would not act similarly.  I've dealt with rape victims, and the victim's family.  You would be surprised what even the most mild mannered human is capable of in a particular situation.

Heat Of Passion defense only when the person comes across their spouse who is actually in the sex act or compromising situation.  The person then acts out of rage due to the fact that they have caught their spouse cheating.  In this particular circumstance she did lie to police to indicate she was raped after the "victim" had been shot.  So even after firing the shot, the husband was still in the frame of mind that his wife was being raped.

Last edited by wileyford (2007-04-04 11:43:26)

TuataraDude
+115|6553|Aotearoa

Bertster7 wrote:

I'm sort of in two minds about it though, because if the guy was fleeing then he wasn't a threat - but the husbands actions are very understandable to me. Perhaps something should be done to the husband, certainly not jail time, but maybe a suspended sentence to reflect this type of overtly violent behaviour just to show him that shooting someone who's running away in the head is a bit over the top no matter what the circumstances.
Agreed. The guy was already driving off and obviously one of the shots just happened to be lucky (or unlucky, depends on your point of view). By not charging him with anything, the courts send a dangerous message out to the public that self defense extends to having a shot at them while they are running away. As you say, they can always hand down a suspended sentence due to the emotional trauma of seeing your wife being raped (at that stage he thought that was what was happening).

It is interesting though that everyone seems quick to condemn the woman, who really was just being a slut, yet happy to forgive the guy who killed another human being. One could argue that he had such a bad temper that she was genuinely afraid of her own well being that she did not want him to realise she was being unfaithful. She thought by placing any blame on the other guy, he would have a better chance of defending himself if the husband got violent. Unfortunately, she was unaware her husband carried a gun, or she would have been more forthcoming with the truth. That's what I would say if I was defending her, but then my legal background extends to LA Law, Boston Legal et al.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6601|USA

TuataraDude wrote:

It is interesting though that everyone seems quick to condemn the woman, who really was just being a slut, yet happy to forgive the guy who killed another human being. One could argue that he had such a bad temper that she was genuinely afraid of her own well being that she did not want him to realise she was being unfaithful. She thought by placing any blame on the other guy, he would have a better chance of defending himself if the husband got violent. Unfortunately, she was unaware her husband carried a gun, or she would have been more forthcoming with the truth. That's what I would say if I was defending her, but then my legal background extends to LA Law, Boston Legal et al.
I wouldn't even bother going there, because its pure speculation. you could be right, you could be wrong. we don't really know the guy or the woman so we can't really say.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6320|Éire
Speaking for myself (in terms of personal justice) I'd have killed the guy too (believing him to be raping my wife). She's a cold hearted, manipulative whore for acting in the way she did. She is a disgrace to all the true victims of rape out there - a crime that is IMO almost as bad as murder, if not just as bad.

I hope the guy gets no prison time and I hope the wife is made an example of.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6683
if I were that man, I'd be in a fucking bad mood already:

killed a man. yes, he was getting busy with this guy's wife but he's probably just a man like any other.
lost his wife through authorita.
lost his wife anyhow, for what she did.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Reciprocity
+721|6611|the dank(super) side of Oregon
we've got a whore wife, a limp dick, loser husband that obviously cant please his wife, and a poor bastard just tryin to get some poon.

it sound like one of those situations where you'd have to be there to really judge what should be done with these people.  if the guy was driving away when he was shot and the woman was not in the truck then you're really pushing self-defense/protection claim.  If he was no longer an immediate threat, then you cant shoot him.  mid-bang is another story,  then he's protecting his wife and saving the tax payers some money. 

convict the whore for manslaughter and let her rot for a decade.  convict the husband of manslaughter, but give his some kind of suspended sentence.

if any of you ever have the opportunity to shoot someone who's invading your home, make sure you shoot them in your home or you will go to jail.  just like this husband should have made sure the 'rapist' was still in his wife.
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6452|San Antonio, TX
FYI... I change my vote... the husband should not be charged.  The wife was still in the vehicle when the man tried to "flee".  So the husband hears his wife screaming rape, then sees the man try to drive the truck off with her still in it.  (Not sure shooting at a vehicle with your wife in it is such a good idea!)  I find it odd that she was quick enough to come up with the idea to scream rape though.

And it is legal to carry a concealed weapon in the state of Texas as long as you have the proper permit.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6591
No comment.  I'm done talking on this forums because it hurts my faith in humanity.  The atheism thread is a slip-up.
ShellShock.PwN
+31|6817|Barrie Ontario
Well, i think he should get some punishment but not jail time, he thought he was trying to shoot a rapist so in his defense he was doing the right thing. but she needs to get some kind of punishment also because she in a sense was the cause of the other guys death. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard