kylef
Gone
+1,352|6531|N. Ireland
So I've got Vista Ultimate all ready to install. But should I upgrade?

Why I should:

- Next Generation of Operating System
- I will have to install it sooner or later
- Will solve many current problems I face in XP (guaranteed)

Why I shouldn't:

- My one free day really
- Will have to sacrifice no gaming at all today and have to re-download all my STEAM games and 2142
- Will take a long time and I have a headache

.. so, should I upgrade?
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6603|Area 51
Nope.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6531|N. Ireland

RDMC(2) wrote:

Nope.
why pls.
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6595|Brisbane, Aus

negatory, unless you need DirectX10
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6754
No.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6531|N. Ireland
but its teh vistszors and i will have to upgrade eventually.
Fenix14
scout rush kekeke ^___^
+116|6595|Brisbane, Aus

i've heard the ammount of 'compatability issues'/resource hogging Vista brings sorta isn't worth it

edit: as many people have said: Wait for service pack 1

Last edited by Fenix14 (2007-02-10 06:25:49)

LawJik
The Skeptical Realist
+48|6569|Amherst, MA
Vista + Gaming = Bad

Windows XP vs. Windows Vista Performance Part 2

https://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_nvidia_forceware_performance/images/bf21600.gif

Last edited by LawJik (2007-02-10 06:27:08)

hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6426|USA, MICHIGAN
DO NOT UPGRADE TO VISTA, IT IS THE HELL SPAWN OF THE DEVIL!!!!  not to mention that unless you need dx10, you don't need it, and last time i checked there are no dx10 games out, and compatibility for most current online games blows.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6668|Washington, DC

If you've got a decent computer (AKA 2 gigs of RAM), and you've got drivers for all your hardware that works with Vista, go for it. I've heard great things from people who had proper drivers.
DaBigDragon
+3|6778|USA
You should only upgrade unless you're absolutely sure that all of your hardware has Vista drivers out for them.

But then again, you don't need DirectX10 now since there aren't any games out that take advantage of it.

If you're really intent on putting Vista in anyway, I'd do a complete delete partition>reformat (not a quick format)>install instead of upgrading since it presents a lot less problems.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6804|UK
In short. No.
jord
+2,382|6716|The North, beyond the wall.
I'm going to buy a new computer and most are in Vista now.

There's one i'm looking at,it's got Vista.

Should i get it?

If not whats wrong with Vista?
thebestshooter
Banned
+12|6353
HELLL FREAKIN NOOOOOOO>>>

RULE #1 : never ever ever ....ever....ever...ever  get an New OS or OS upgrade when it comes out. Wait at least 6 months to a year so stupid ass microsoft can fix some of the nasty bugs, glitches, security holes and so on .

I read alot of stuff from forums that BF2 and 2142 crashes nasty and some other games with windows vista.

Ill buy a game when it comes out whther the game is good or sucks.. that i can get away with.. Buying a new OS when it comes out, that is something i cant get away with. That will tear up your config settings and cause more problems than you can bargain for.

VISTA is going to create a crap load problems, much like when windows millenium editon of 1999-2000 came out. I ll prefer windows 98 over millenium anyday.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6668|Washington, DC

jord wrote:

I'm going to buy a new computer and most are in Vista now.

There's one i'm looking at,it's got Vista.

Should i get it?

If not whats wrong with Vista?
If you're buying pre-built you shouldn't have any problems; if it's a reputable builder like Dell or HP then the drivers will be loaded in.

I don't get all this nay-saying. If you've got the drivers, Vista's not bad. A full reformat's recommended, as usual when installing an OS. Kyle, do you have the Upgrade edition or Full edition? There's a guide in the Vista Q&A that shows how to upgrade without having XP installed.

I'll pull out this little thing again.

Windows 3.1 to Windows 95: It'll never work
Windows 95 to 98: If it's not broken, don't fix it
*Let's pretend ME was never released*
Windows 98 to 2000: I don't know...
Windows 2000 to XP: Fuck you MS we don't need your flashy eye candy
Windows XP to Vista: Fuck you MS we don't need your flashy eye candy

We said the same when XP came out, and look at us now. So many people clinging to XP like their life depends on it. When games are made for Vista (IE Crysis, Alan Wake, etc) then they'll run better than XP games (assuming you've got good hardware). Those of us who like having the latest and greatest will upgrade, we'll explore. Thank us, as it's these people who make the guides for making Vista leetz0rz once you buy it in July.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6531|N. Ireland

thebestshooter wrote:

RULE #1 : never ever ever ....ever....ever...ever  get an New OS or OS upgrade when it comes out. Wait at least 6 months to a year so stupid ass microsoft can fix some of the nasty bugs, glitches, security holes and so on .

I read alot of stuff from forums that BF2 and 2142 crashes nasty and some other games with windows vista.

Ill buy a game when it comes out whther the game is good or sucks.. that i can get away with.. Buying a new OS when it comes out, that is something i cant get away with. That will tear up your config settings and cause more problems than you can bargain for.

VISTA is going to create a crap load problems, much like when windows millenium editon of 1999-2000 came out. I ll prefer windows 98 over millenium anyday.
okay, just get out my thread.

currently, the only problem i face now is that i don't think audigy 2 zs drivers exist for vista.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6754

leetkyle wrote:

thebestshooter wrote:

okay, just get out my thread.

currently, the only problem i face now is that i don't think audigy 2 zs drivers exist for vista.
Actually I agree with his post. Don't get Vista.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Madhadda1
+270|6582|Cedar Rapids, Iowa
imo yes, i did and i LOVE it its pretty amazing a lot of cool features

with gameing yes i did see a difference the first round i ever played!
havnt had any more or less lag since and i left all my settings to same.
CrazyEChick
newblette
+6|6518|NH, USA
Too many bugs right now...  I'd recommend against it unless you use VMWARE to run a Virtual PC.  That way if anything gets messed up, nothing is compromised.
link52787
+29|6559
nope, make microsoft wait for their money and you don't really need it now.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6683

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

No.
XP is better for gaming also unless u plan to install it on virtual PC then go ahead
The#1Spot
+105|6577|byah
The soonest i recommend buying and installing Vista is when the 1st really good DX10 game comes out
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6390|uk

I have vista, and it looks amazing, it is more reliable, and contrary to what lots of people say, i have noticed certain aspects of naviagating around and doing general stuff, it is actually quiker that XP.

However, the major drawback is the lack of support from lots of programs and drivers

If i could be arsed, i would reinstall and have XP for another month until all the program manufactures get off their arses and make their programs vista compatible.

My verdict!- no
MURcarnage
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!
+86|6695|San Francisco, CA
wait until sp2 (or sp5) THEN buy it. Wait until they fix every single fucking thing..or..most of it.
Mad Ad
+178|6549|England, UK
dual boot it

btw you dont have to lose all the steam games if you back up the .gcf files (they are compressable too) and dump them back in the same folder on reinstall.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard