Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6607|SE London

That's right, no need to buy Vista to play DX10 games. You'll be able to play them in older Windows versions and in Linux using the Direct3D10 API from Wine.

http://www.winehq.org/?issue=320(That's very old but newer stuff on their site shows development to be well in progress)

Microsoft will NOT be providing a version of DirectX10 or any equivilent to play DX10 games in XP.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-12-05 15:04:11)

Brasso
+1,549|6656

Title wrote:

DirectX10 WILL be available for Windows XP!

Bertster7 wrote:

Microsoft will NOT be providing a version of DirectX10 or any equivilent to play DX10 games in XP.
You just contradicted yourself.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6869|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Linux ftw!

DX10 on wine? Man that's sweet, but wouldn't that be some kind of OpenGL ripoff? I don't believe they can legally make Direct3D work for Linux.
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6727|New York
Wonder how slow the games will be, and it wont be true DX 10 no matter how you slice it, Only DX10 hardware will produse true DX10 results. Ill just play in DX9 on them until i get a new card.
Sydney
2λчиэλ

haffeysucks wrote:

Title wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

No, he didn't,

You'll be able to play them in older Windows versions and in Linux using the Direct3D10 API from Wine.

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Wonder how slow the games will be, and it wont be true DX 10 no matter how you slice it, Only DX10 hardware will produse true DX10 results. Ill just play in DX9 on them until i get a new card.
Oh, you need a DX10 card to run it, we are talking about software only.

Last edited by PBAsydney (2006-12-05 14:26:17)

Brasso
+1,549|6656

PBAsydney wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Title wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

No, he didn't,

You'll be able to play them in older Windows versions and in Linux using the Direct3D10 API from Wine.

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

Oh, you need a DX10 card to run it, we are talking about software only.
Whoops.  I thought he meant older Windows versions as in "older than XP."
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6607|SE London

haffeysucks wrote:

Title wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

No I didn't. It will be available, but not from Microsoft.

It'll be out for Linux too (probably before the XP port) I can't wait.

I think it is a bit of an openGL ripoff, since they say about waiting for the Shader Model 4 API being out for openGL on their site (which it has been for quite a while).

As for the legality side, it's all ok. They use a few fancy workarounds to keep it all nice and legal.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6626|132 and Bush

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

You will never see this on XP guys.
https://tampastorm.smugmug.com/photos/115057247-L.jpg
They are planning on making DX10 backwards compatible however you will be playing in a DX9 environment with XP.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Sydney
2λчиэλ
Awesome

Remember this one?
https://www.cyberlaurentides.com/images/linux-tux-born-2-frag.jpg

Good old days of OpenGL ripped DX8 :p
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6607|SE London

Kmarion wrote:

<[onex]>Headstone wrote:

You will never see this on XP guys.
http://tampastorm.smugmug.com/photos/115057247-L.jpg
They are planning on making DX10 backwards compatible however you will be playing in a DX9 environment with XP.
Yes, you will.

Might run a tiny bit slower due to running through emulation layers. You can already get all DX10 features in XP through openGL, but no games use it

Oh, and they're NOT making DX10 backwards compatible at all.

What they are doing which is very similar (and quite possibly what you meant, but I'm just being pedantic) is to provide a DX9 render path for all games for the first few years. FSX is an example of this, it only has a DX9 render path at the moment, but will be patched to incorporate a DX10 render path.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2006-12-05 14:47:12)

Brasso
+1,549|6656

Man, that Crysis SS sucks balls.  Gotta get the high-def ones!
Sydney
2λчиэλ
It's actually quite simple, if you can get the cards to perform 100% using all their fancy stuff on XP, why wont it be looking just as good as on vista?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6607|SE London

PBAsydney wrote:

It's actually quite simple, if you can get the cards to perform 100% using all their fancy stuff on XP, why wont it be looking just as good as on vista?
It will. There's no reason at all why it wouldn't.

There could be slight differences in speed though. One of the advantages of DX10 in Vista is the level of integration with the OS which a Wine version running on XP would not take advantage of.
SkoobyDu
'CLICK JOIN NOW'... OK lets go... BOOM!!!! =FFS=
+120|6587|Cheshire, UK
The XP equivalent of Direct X 10 will be released within XP service pack 3, currently due for release 3 months after VISTA becomes available.... Which is strange considering that it has already been ready for months. Perhaps if they released SP3 the take up on VISTA would not be that great.

After looking at vista myself, personally I would say that it doesn't offer anything really different from XP.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6792|UK
Microsoft are bring out some newer version of DX9 that is basically DX10.
SkoobyDu
'CLICK JOIN NOW'... OK lets go... BOOM!!!! =FFS=
+120|6587|Cheshire, UK

Vilham wrote:

I believe thats what I just posted
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6647|London, England
If i'm ever going to splash out on a DX10 card i might aswell get Vista with it. I mean like.....whats the point then. You either do it all the way or you dont. But this is still kinda cool.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6607|SE London

SkoobyDu wrote:

The XP equivalent of Direct X 10 will be released within XP service pack 3, currently due for release 3 months after VISTA becomes available.... Which is strange considering that it has already been ready for months. Perhaps if they released SP3 the take up on VISTA would not be that great.

After looking at vista myself, personally I would say that it doesn't offer anything really different from XP.
No it won't. That was a rumour. A rumour that deceived me for quite a while. In fact I've made the same claim as you in several threads, but I was wrong and have admitted so.

SP3 is not due out for quite some time. Last official date I heard was 2008. Nor will it include any sort of DX10 update. Microsoft have been quite clear about that.

NO OFFICIAL DX10 FOR XP!

Wine are doing a fully featured implementation of the API.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6626|132 and Bush

[H]ardOCP published a whole article on this.
XP will not get DX10. The only way to game in DX10 is with DX10 hardware and DX10 software on Vista, only Vista, and nothing but Vista.

You can (for now) still install DX10 games on DX9 hardware/XP, but they will run in reduced eye candy mode. I'm not sure how long that will last though, with the new shader model and physics stuff on the way. Surely at some point there will be a DX9 cut-off, same as <DX6 is no longer supported, and most games require DX7 hardware (or higher) to even run in crap mode.

Can you put a DX10 card or software in an XP system? Yes. Will it run in DX10 mode? No.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6489|cuntshitlake

Bertster7 wrote:

That's right, no need to buy Vista to play DX10 games.
WTF?!?
Is some madman gonna BUY Vista??? I haven't ever bought any Microsoft-products...
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6607|SE London

Vilham wrote:

No they're not.

Again, leads back to same rumour.

DX9.0L as it was originally known (now DX9.0Ex or simply DX9X) is not for XP. The L in the original name stands for Longhorn.

It is a backwards compatibility fix for Vista to run DX9 apps.

IT is NOT for XP.

Microsoft are NOT providing any sort of DX10 for XP.
Sydney
2λчиэλ

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

That's right, no need to buy Vista to play DX10 games.
WTF?!?
Is some madman gonna BUY Vista??? I haven't ever bought any Microsoft-products...
Never had to
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6575|UK

haffeysucks wrote:

Title wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I thought he did to, but its a third party who made it.

Martyn
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6626|132 and Bush

BTW Bertster7, I have Vista on another machine and will not move it to my primary until they get drivers and all the other crap worked out. So no, I don't advocating upgrading at this point. Not until the hardware and software developers catch up.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6607|SE London

Kmarion wrote:

[H]ardOCP published a whole article on this.
XP will not get DX10. The only way to game in DX10 is with DX10 hardware and DX10 software on Vista, only Vista, and nothing but Vista.

You can (for now) still install DX10 games on DX9 hardware/XP, but they will run in reduced eye candy mode. I'm not sure how long that will last though, with the new shader model and physics stuff on the way. Surely at some point there will be a DX9 cut-off, same as <DX6 is no longer supported, and most games require DX7 hardware (or higher) to even run in crap mode.

Can you put a DX10 card or software in an XP system? Yes. Will it run in DX10 mode? No.
You're not listening.

The only official way to play DX10 games will be through Vista. But with a DX10 API on XP there is no reason DX10 games will not work in XP.

Once a fully working DX10 API is released for XP you will be able to use a DX10 card to run DX10 apps with all features. It can already be done through openGL, but no games due for release support openGL.

Wine are remaking DX10 for Linux and XP. It will have all the features and a similarly constructed pipeline.

I'd be interested to see a link to this article, because I'd bet that it doesn't make any claims about 3rd party solutions. DX10 can work in OSs other than Vista, just not the way Microsoft made it. It needs to be totally remade.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard