Phrozenbot
+632|6585|do not disturb

I have my crouch set to right ctrl, but it does absolutely nothing. I press it and I can't crouch. Instead if I press left ctrl, I crouch, but since I use the arrow keys, I must move my left hand across the board and it's an inconvenience. So, I thought maybe setting crouch to left ctrl would make me crouch when I pressed right ctrl. That didn't work. I got an error saying "Duplicate key found in common controls". I looked around, and no left ctrl was not in use. Is there anyways I can go into my BF2 profile folder and edit them? Any other advice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6597|Warlord

Hellogoodsir wrote:

I got an error saying "Duplicate key found in common controls". I looked around, and no left ctrl was not in use.
Yeah, this is a common glitch with the game, you'll read about it in a couple of places. I was lucky when I first mapped my keys to not come across it but my brother had the issue when first binding his and I just experienced it on my last reinstall... even with all the fields made blank it still insisted certain keys were already in use.

Hellogoodsir wrote:

Is there anyways I can go into my BF2 profile folder and edit them?
Yep, that's the solution: to manually edit the key bindings in the Controls.con file; it's a little tedious but worth the effort if you have any problems like this. Find your Profiles folder in the Battlefield 2 folder, inside My Documents.

Make a backup of the file before you start editing in case you make a mistake. Although worst case scenario you can start from a clean slate if you had to.

Look for

Code:

c_PICrouch
And change whatever follows that (after the space) to

Code:

IDFKeyboard IDKey_RightCtrl 0 0
There is more than one instance of this that you need to change so just paste this in place of every line

Code:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PICrouch IDFKeyboard IDKey_RightCtrl 0 0
Just to be on the safe side check to make sure that RightCtrl isn't also on any other line and if it is change it to something else.
C.Schaffer
+19|6568|Sweden
hey I want those (+2) things that u have in your sig:P
cmsgt_one_shot
+5|6613|USA
I have same problem with the s button.
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6597|Warlord

C.Schaffer wrote:

hey I want those (+2) things that u have in your sig:P
That's easy, go to your installation of BF2 and find Mods/Localization/English and edit the English.utxt file*.

The part you're looking for is this:
HUD_CHAT_YOUGOTAKILLSCORE       You killed §0#PLAYERNAME#§1

You change the right part only, to:
§3You killed §3#PLAYERNAME#§3 (§C1001+2§C1001)

This makes the kill message much larger too, they're actual size in my sig from 1024 x 768 screenshots. You can also add some other stuff like the scoring for kills (+2 in orange like above), kill assists, repair points etc. which I find a neat addition to track how your score is doing. You can also modify kill messages to track the classes who use a given weapon but I only do this for the sniper weapons to more easily keep an eye on enemy sniper kills so I can try to hunt them down and get them.

Here's the thread I learned this from if you want to do more editing:
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=19541

*Since you're in Sweden you might be changing a file called Swedish.utxt I guess and you'll have to look for equivalent wording, but the number codes and stuff will be the same.

Last edited by Todd_Angelo (2006-07-05 12:50:16)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard