ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6353|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR
For our physics class we are doing an egg drop lab.  we will be dropping our eggs off of the stands in the football stadium, which is about 35 feet high.  the egg needs to survive 2 falls to get a 100% on the lab. 

Requirements:
50 straws (given by teacher)
can use tape and rubber bands
must weigh less than 180 grams.  (50 straws weigh about 30 grams he said and the egg will probably weigh about 70 grams)
no parachute
no hardboiled eggs

I need some ideas on how to design my little contraption.  It needs to have protection completely surrounding it, not just on the "bottom" because my teacher will spin the contraption as he drops it.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6439|Chicago, IL
two spheres, one inner to hold the egg, one outer to buffer the impact, separated by about 3/4 straw lengths should work
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6758|Cambridge (UK)
Ah... 'tis a classic...

I'll let you work out the detail, but the best way is to suspend the egg in the centre of a kind of exo-skeleton.

Think about how sensitive electronics come packaged (hopefully) when you order them on-line - they're packed into a box, so that the delicate product is sat, in the centre, surrounded by packing material - if the box gets dropped the box and packing material crumples - soaking up the force of the collision with the floor.

F1 cars, if you know anything about how they're built, with a central mono-cock, surrounded by a carbon-fibre body work, or crumple zones on road-cars, are another good example of the same basic idea...

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-10-07 14:29:25)

Brasso
+1,549|6622

what a tight experiment, our h. physics class is just another fucking math class.  which i don't really mind, but 2 math classes a day = fried brains

best of luck.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York
I remember doing this in 6th grade...my egg survived.

...That is, until I threw it against a wall after I was told my grade.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6724|St. Andrews / Oslo

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Ah... 'tis a classic...

I'll let you work out the detail, but the best way is to suspend the egg in the centre of a kind of exo-skeleton.

Think about how sensitive electronics come packaged (hopefully) when you order them on-line - they're packed into a box, so that the delicate product is sat, in the centre, surrounded by packing material - if the box gets dropped the box and packing material crumples - soaking up the force of the collision with the floor.

F1 cars, if you know anything about how they're built, with a central mono-cock, surrounded by a carbon-fibre body work, or crumple zones on road-cars, are another good example of the same basic idea...
this.

Imagine you have a box. Each corner has elastic going into the middle, attached to the egg. Recreate that with straws, but probably not as a box.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6641|Washington DC

https://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/sahuber/rpd/Pictures/Broken%20Egg.JPG

Search "Egg Drop" on Google images, and you'll see a lot ...
Scorpion0x17
+691|6758|Cambridge (UK)
Of course, the whole point of this kind of thing is for the student to actually think for themselves...

That way they're more likely to understand the why as well as the how...
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6346|West NY

OrangeHound wrote:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/sahuber/ … %20Egg.JPG

Search "Egg Drop" on Google images, and you'll see a lot ...
Lol nice.
ceslayer23
IN YOUR MIRROR
+142|6353|CLOSER THAN I APPEAR
I was thinking making a strong, outer sphere, and then making another sphere inside that, connected to the outer one by half a straw length.  and then within the inner sphere i will somehow attach a bunch of rubber bands to whatever is holding the egg in the middle of that inner sphere.
^^^ rough sketch

sound good?
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6683|Devon, England
Thread needs more blueprints.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6758|Cambridge (UK)

FFLink13 wrote:

Thread needs more blue prints.

bf2s rules wrote:

Refrain from posting messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or are otherwise of questionable content (if you have to ask, the answer is 'No.')
Oh...

you mean blueprints...

not blue prints....

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-10-07 16:34:47)

Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6632|Your moms bedroom
birds nest, nature already built it for you

Last edited by Locoloki (2008-10-07 16:40:38)

Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6734|FUCK UBISOFT

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/44874/lolwut.png
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Scorpion0x17
+691|6758|Cambridge (UK)
It wasn't as funny if I didn't edited it...
eskimo_sammyjoe
Did someone say tea?
+112|6227|S.A. Australia

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

mono-cock
Bahahaha, funniest thing I've read all day
Serious Flex
VicktorVauhn
+319|6384|Southern California

eskimo_sammyjoe wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

mono-cock
Bahahaha, funniest thing I've read all day
Wow, your either an idiot or you have had a pretty bland day...

Just design an outer structure , then support the egg in a little cradle in the middle by rubber bands.

Spheres are strongest, otherwise use triangles.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6513|Austin, Texas
I did this last year. We were only allowed hot glue and toothpicks, though. We made a tight cocoon out of hot glue for the egg, and then covered the outside with toothpicks that would break to absorb shock at impact. We glued the toothpicks a bit too tightly though and it broke.

Anyway the basic concept is to have something OTHER than the egg absorb all the momentum of it falling. What you want to design is up to you, and the fun part.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum
triangles. lots of
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Bevo
Nah
+718|6513|Austin, Texas

FatherTed wrote:

triangles. lots of
negative. if it's too strong, it will splatter like a melon dropped off a skyscraper.
Brasso
+1,549|6622

tape straws around the egg, making a shell.  point some ends out like a blowfish if they're bendy straws.

(this is what my friend suggested)
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

MadKatter wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

triangles. lots of
negative. if it's too strong, it will splatter like a melon dropped off a skyscraper.
ill drop u like a melon
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Brasso
+1,549|6622

FatherTed wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

triangles. lots of
ill drop u like a melon
ill drop u like tom brady on a fantasy football team
VicktorVauhn
+319|6384|Southern California

MadKatter wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

triangles. lots of
that is what the rubber bands are for...
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum

haffeysucks wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

ill drop u like a melon
ill drop u like tom brady on a fantasy football team
ill drop you like the girl naked in my bed

BUUURN
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard