Home
Section.80
+447|6818|Seattle, Washington, USA

So school just started again for me on Tuesday. At the end of the year last year, all the teachers were talking about how crappy it was going to be because the levy didn't pass, but I didn't think it was going to be this bad.

On the first day, none of the teachers had the usual handouts to give us, because they had to get rid of the copy machines because the lease was too expensive and they now outsource all copies to Kinko's. It takes at least 24 hours to get copies now. In my Spanish class, there are 3 more kids than there are desks and we have to buy our own books (32 students). In my AP Biology class there are more kids than there is lab equipment (31 students, 28 is the max limit) and we are 18 books short. My math class is the fullest I've ever had (32 students) because they don't have the money to replace the math teacher that retired last year. This year, we have English teachers teaching French and math teachers teaching Spanish because there is no money to hire more teachers. Is it this bad all over the country? The worst part is that we (the citizens of Spokane) easily have enough money for the levy, you've got 16 year old girls driving brand new BMWs and Mini Coopers in the parking lot.

On top of that:
Most Spokane high schools fail federal standards
As students headed back to class in many high schools Tuesday, educators faced a grim set of statistics.

Fifteen of 18 traditional public high schools in Spokane County failed last year to meet new tougher standards set under the No Child Left Behind act.

That includes every traditional high school in the Spokane school district, and every one in the Spokane Valley.

And the standards are scheduled to be ratcheted up twice more by 2014, unless Congress and the new president decide to change the No Child Left Behind act.
http://spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=16424

I go to Mt. Spokane High School, one of the schools that failed to meet standards. And we would have failed even harder if a group of math teachers hadn't lobbied to have the math WASL test results annulled.

Wtf is going on? Things are obviously not working. I know there are plenty of threads on the American education system, but I just thought I'd share my first hand experience.
Home
Section.80

Actually, could a mod change the title to "My school" or something? I really have no idea if this is representative of school in America as a whole.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

My girlfriend wrote a speech about the school systems, I'll post it again if you like
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

Mutantsteak wrote:

My girlfriend.
I loled.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Mutantbear

Miggle wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

My girlfriend.
I'm gay, girls are yucky
Don't be so hard on yourself, some people are just late bloomers
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
2tuff
Positive Karma Here!
+357|6746
Its not that way here, just outside philly. Things are peachy as far as I know.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6712|FUCK UBISOFT

Mutantsteak wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

My girlfriend.
I'm gay, girls are yucky
Whenever I see your posts I get a boner.
Wow, TMI.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Mutantbear

Miggle wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

Miggle wrote:

I'm gay, girls are yucky
I needa get me some of that.
You know you like it

Anyway @ Home. I live in one of the richest counties in the country, I haven't had to experience book shortage or overpopulation in classes but I'm forced to deal with pure incompetence when it comes to the teaching staff. We can afford everything but if only we could find intelligent teachers than we'd be golden

Last edited by Mutantsteak (2008-09-04 19:04:18)

Brasso
+1,549|6601

Mutantsteak wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

You know you like it

Anyway @ Home. I live in one of the richest counties in the country, I haven't had to experience book shortage or overpopulation in classes but I'm forced to deal with pure incompetence when it comes to the teaching staff. We can afford everything but if only we could find intelligent teachers than we'd be golden
Hm, maybe if you were in better classes you'd get better teachers.

My teachers are fine, same county, same school.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-09-04 19:10:17)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mutantbear

haffeysucks wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

Miggle wrote:

You know you like it

I disagree, I was placed in the wrong periods for my classes and I made several appointments with my guidance counselor, I even emailed the guy and eventually I was fed up with no response so I just went right into his office and he tells me that its too late to change classes, incompetence at its best.
Brasso
+1,549|6601

Mutantsteak wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

You know you like it

I disagree, I was placed in the wrong periods for my classes and I made several appointments with my guidance counselor, I even emailed the guy and eventually I was fed up with no response so I just went right into his office and he tells me that its too late to change classes, incompetence at its best.
Then that's guidance.  By teaching staff I thought you meant the actual teachers.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Mutantbear

haffeysucks wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Then that's guidance.  By teaching staff I thought you meant the actual teachers.
The school staff as a whole, I should have worded it better. There are good teachers but there are bad ones as well. Their teaching habits are so inconsistent between different teachers its ridiculous
liquix
+51|6424|Peoples Republic of Portland
Home, I went to Riverside. I find all of this quite odd because Mt. Spokane High School had it's first year during my education, and at that time was rolling in money. One specific example of that districts fiscal irresponsibility, was when your school had to TEAR OUT a row of tennis courts because Mead HS had one less court. Now, on the topic of failing average performance, your school's budget will shrink every year this happens. Again this is the foolish nature of the funding system, as every time the district loses money, tests scores generally fall. I can't speak to your question about other schools in the nation, though I do know Riverside high is in a hell of a fiscal situation as well.

It's quite a thing to see parents vote down their own childrens future. Though, they'll just blame it on the liberals...knowing Spokane.
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
So you didn't have to do the work or what?
Home
Section.80

liquix wrote:

Home, I went to Riverside. I find all of this quite odd because Mt. Spokane High School had it's first year during my education, and at that time was rolling in money. One specific example of that districts fiscal irresponsibility, was when your school had to TEAR OUT a row of tennis courts because Mead HS had one less court. Now, on the topic of failing average performance, your school's budget will shrink every year this happens. Again this is the foolish nature of the funding system, as every time the district loses money, tests scores generally fall. I can't speak to your question about other schools in the nation, though I do know Riverside high is in a hell of a fiscal situation as well.

It's quite a thing to see parents vote down their own childrens future. Though, they'll just blame it on the liberals...knowing Spokane.
Exactly what I mean... It's not like this is a poor part of town. It's just full of Republicans who always shoot down those kinds of levies. My next door neighbor has a sign in her yard for McCain and the next house has one for Dino Rossi.

And it's cool to see another local perpsective.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
I bet the teachers union voted themselves a big fat pension though.
Mutantbear

ATG wrote:

I bet the teachers union voted themselves a big fat pension though.
Teachers don't get paid much
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6676
The teacher's union has an absurd amount of power in California.  They are always demanding more, yet they have enough of it to spend on things like commercials supporting increased donations.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

The schools in this state have had issues like yours for a long, long time.  I had to deal with stuff like when I was in high school, and that was over 20 years ago.

In fact, Utah is dead last or second to last every year in dollars spent per student.  The funny thing is that we are like 5th in the nation for the percentage of the states budget that we spend on education.  Our problem is that age wise Utah is a very young state.  I think the last statistic indicated that roughly 40% of this state is under the age of 25.  It also doesn't help that the Mormons can't keep their legs closed, and feel it is their obligation to populate the entire planet.
jord

jord wrote:

Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6257|eng

Mutantsteak wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Mutantsteak wrote:

My girlfriend.
I'm gay, girls are yucky
Don't be so hard on yourself, some people are just late bloomers
Someone call the fire brigade, Miggle just got burned.
#rekt
Home
Section.80

jord wrote:

jord wrote:

What do you mean? Like, did I have to do homework or class work? If that's what you mean then yes I did. We just have to try our best, share books, some kids had to use counters and the teacher's desk as their desk.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US

Home wrote:

jord wrote:

jord wrote:

What do you mean? Like, did I have to do homework or class work? If that's what you mean then yes I did. We just have to try our best, share books, some kids had to use counters and the teacher's desk as their desk.
Your school has counters in the classrooms?! Lucky!

Seriously,
My HS had a lot of financial troubles too, but we managed to pass a tax increase.
We should really introduce a voucher system in this country.  Private schools often perform better with less money spent per student, because they have to be competitive.  If people had a choice of schools, all schools would have to become competitive.
jord

Home wrote:

jord wrote:

jord wrote:

Well if you're lacking materials I assume the lessons will be less demanding. We used to have TV days, we'd just watch "educational" films.

You don't do that?
Home
Section.80

RAIMIUS wrote:

Home wrote:

jord wrote:

jord wrote:

Your school has counters in the classrooms?! Lucky!
Haha, like in AP Bio you know the lab tables.

jord wrote:

Home wrote:

jord wrote:

Well if you're lacking materials I assume the lessons will be less demanding. We used to have TV days, we'd just watch "educational" films.

You don't do that?
Some of the teachers couldn't teach what they were supposed to, but most just improvised and basically gave us the same stuff. And no, I don't have TV days. We might rarely watch a movie in one period, but never for the whole day.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard