Hellfire(Fish)
Your Favorite Whiny Liberal
+8|6476|Alabama, United States
I've checked around this forum for other posts like mine but everyone else's are "I D/C'd from the server, etc."
My problem is that when I get into alot of servers I get random lag spikes, and generally jumpy game-play.
Most of the time my ping will "show" 20ms-60ms, but occasionally it will show 600ms-800ms.
I haven't had this problem until fairly recently when I started playing regular BF2 again.... (Come to think of it, I haven't had this problem until patch 1.4)
Anyway, I have no idea what's going on.
It's not my game slowing down or lagging out, becuase I always get "problem with your connection"
It's not my internet, because I've been monitoring it for packet loss, ping spikes, etc.
It isn't anything I can think of.
Here are my system specs...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ ~2.0GHz
1024MB DDR2 800 RAM
EVGA Nvidia 7900 GT CO
Onboard HD Audio by Asus
ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP
TuataraDude
+115|6493|Aotearoa
I'm not going to be able to help you, but I have noticed it lately as well. Not all the time, just the odd occasion. Playing last night, we all had issues like that, yet the day before was no problem. So although this is no help, at least you know you're not alone.
aujt74
+11|6665|Scotland!
You didn’t mention how your connected to the internet, I assume you are wired but if you are wireless, try using the manufacturers wireless software to control the wireless connection rather than the inbuilt Windows Wireless Zero Configuration service.
When I use it to configure my wireless connection, I get the odd 400-1000ms ping spike and "problem with your connection" messages. However if I close BF2, and disable the WZC service and start BF2 again I get flawless play. Restart WZC and it lag spikes away.

So with the WZC service permanently disabled, I have installed my manufacturers software as a service so the wireless connection comes up with the computer (like WZC) , and not after I login (normal for manufacturers software).

If you use wired, then at the moment I cant think of anything other than network performance issues with your router/modem/ISP. There may be issues with how your ISP deals with game traffic, which may be handled differently from any traffic generated by network tests, pings, traceroutes etc... Maybe EA screwed up something with the netcode in 1.4, who knows .
So really, using wireless with the inbuilt Wireless Zero Configuration service is the only real idea I have for what is causing your issues.

Edit: Hey my BF2s sig has screwed up since I last posted .

Last edited by aujt74 (2006-09-26 15:36:49)

PspRpg-7
-
+961|6668

Are you on TeamSpeak at the same time this happens, by chance?
HaywoodJablowme
Baltimore Blowfish
+46|6550
This is going on with me too.  Just today.  Running smooth last night.  No adware, viruses, running on servers I normally run fine on and just today it's hiccupping.  Don't think it's just us or our connections, no clue...
LT.Victim
+1,175|6533|British Columbia, Canada
Try turning down your graphics and seeing if it helps at all..

It most likely wont make that much of a difference, but.. its good to check these kind of things anyways.

Your PC seems pretty powerful, so i dont know if its a graphics issue, but cant hurt to try.
Brasso
+1,549|6601

Wireless?  That's my problem.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Hellfire(Fish)

PspRpg-7 wrote:

Are you on TeamSpeak at the same time this happens, by chance?
Actually, I've had this problem while on TS and Vent.
Don't know if it's related directly since it does happen when not on them too.
I am on wired internet by the way, (Who would play an FPS on wireless )
And I have tried turning down sound/graphical settings with no help.
I will call my ISP and see if they discriminate my gaming traffic....
Anyone else have some ideas?

Last edited by Hellfire(Fish) (2006-09-27 10:32:28)

aujt74
+11|6665|Scotland!
About playing BF2 on wireless, once I got rid of the inbuilt Microsoft service for handling wireless connections, gaming has been as lag free and smooth as wired. Although that is with full connection strength and no big walls in between.
Roomba
You will pay the price for your lack of vision.
+26|6463|Land of Cotton

Hellfire(Fish) wrote:

I've checked around this forum for other posts like mine but everyone else's are "I D/C'd from the server, etc."
My problem is that when I get into alot of servers I get random lag spikes, and generally jumpy game-play.
Most of the time my ping will "show" 20ms-60ms, but occasionally it will show 600ms-800ms.
I haven't had this problem until fairly recently when I started playing regular BF2 again.... (Come to think of it, I haven't had this problem until patch 1.4)
Anyway, I have no idea what's going on.
It's not my game slowing down or lagging out, becuase I always get "problem with your connection"
It's not my internet, because I've been monitoring it for packet loss, ping spikes, etc.
It isn't anything I can think of.
Here are my system specs...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ ~2.0GHz
1024MB DDR2 800 RAM
EVGA Nvidia 7900 GT CO
Onboard HD Audio by Asus
ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP
Hey dude.

I have had the exact same problem. I have been posting on two other forum pages and this other guy(Mr.Maverick.MDK) may have found a solution. I will put the forum link in this. Check his suggestions. I am going to try them later. This problems may be related to punkbuster after the 1.4 patch was issued.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=45886

Best of luck!
Hellfire(Fish)
OK, I've tryed alot of different stuff, still no help...
I've also noticed this same problem now in single player.
It's like bf2 is lagging behind...
Everything I do will feel delayed by about .5-1.5 seconds for about 5 seconds at random intervals.
It only seems to happen when i'm using my keyboard too.
If i'm using my joystick to fly or something I don't seem to have this problem.
Now I DO use a wireless keyboard, and I DO have the latest drivers for it and I've never had any trouble with it before...
For reference I use a Microsoft Wireless Multimedia keyboard.
And the base station is less than 1 foot from the keyboard at most times, so I don't think my problems have to do with interference... though it IS possible.
lvi
+0|6390|Texas, USA
I would have to say it is most likely your wireless keyboard. Try swapping out with a wired one and see if that helps. If not it could be a ram issue. Bf2 uses a little over a gig a ram peaked. Bf2+TS+Xfire+windows services+anything else means things get pushed to your paging file which is too slow (hd light blinks like crazy and you lag?) Still it is most likely your keyboard. Also I had a similar problem on an old pc with an opengl based game, and it was related to video card cooling. Hope this helps.
alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6644|Houston, Texas
If you are running evanbalance's ingame punkbuster message notification (it puts all punkbuster messages in the bottom left of your screen where "You Kill joemama" is located.. shows you why people were kicked via punkbuster, etc) you will notice that a lot of those random spikes are due to punkbuster checking into the main server. Sometimes the check lags out a bit, and your game will freeze in the meanwhile. The alternative is if it doesnt connect in time, you get kicked via punkbuster for your client not responding in time.

Chances are thats the problem, and it's not your fault. BF2's PB is getting almost as bad as America's Armys.
Roomba
You will pay the price for your lack of vision.
+26|6463|Land of Cotton
To all,

My connection problems were related to my cable modem. I had it replaced and viola! I played for an hour or so last night. Minor hiccups when the map loaded but that was there before.  It was a 44 player (?) map and it was loaded with people. It was good to be back.

So if you have tried everything else, call your ISP. I will let you know if I have any problems.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard