Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6771|Noizyland

Dilbert_X wrote:

I was waiting for him to strap a kangaroo saddle on the back of a velociraptor and go hurtling around on that.
Wait for the sequel.

I was worried before seeing the movie with "Raptor Squad" as it seemed incredibly dumb but that turned out to be one of the more believable parts of the film. Which serves to illustrate just how ridiculous it is.

A lot of the problems suggested a director that didn't quite know how blockbusters work which would make sense as this is only his second film. Some of the character reactions are out of place, (kids laughing happily after a near death experience, passionate kiss while people are getting mauled,) and some of the sequences are amateurish, particularly the horror-movie style death of a character that served no purpose and just came across as cruel and out of place. Character development was a problem too, a lot of character traits were shoe-horned in for either convenience's sake or for no reason at all.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
The Purge - Anarchy

I enjoyed the ultraviolence, the addition of a sub-text I thought was annoying and superfluous.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6470|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Mad Max - Fury Road

10/10

No bullshit. Simple script. Awesome action. Almost zero CGI. Vehicles that blow your mind. Insanity. This is a masterpiece.

Godzilla 5/10

Do not watch. Go see Mad Max and hold a fluffy dinosaur in your lap. Much better.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3367

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Mad Max - Fury Road

Almost zero CGI.
Gunna need some sarcasm tags on that one.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6733|Oxferd Ohire

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Mad Max - Fury Road

Almost zero CGI.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
The feminist undertones of Mad Max annoyed me. I am usually not bothered by that stuff.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Ultrafunkula

RTHKI wrote:

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Mad Max - Fury Road

Almost zero CGI.
Wups. Forgot to mention that I meant them car chases Mostly man made stunts. Atleast what I read....
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6681|United States of America
My problem with Mad Max was as I started watching it, I was so confused about what was going on and felt that I was missing out on a lot of information. Who are these weird looking folk? Why are they doing whole blood transfusions from other folk? What is this fixation on Valhalla and chrome? It wasn't until I spoke to a friend who really liked it afterwards that I had learned that you're just supposed to go in blind and be like "Yup, that stuff sure is stuff, alright." So little was answered by the actual movie that I felt like I was watching a foreign language film.
uziq
+492|3448
how shit would the mad max sequel have needed to be in order to actually disappoint people. that movie is one of those rare franchises that is pretty much a license to print money. like stars wars and lord of the rings/the hobbit. there's a massive willing suspension of critical disbelief. people want to believe.
Ultrafunkula

Tbh, I wasn't expecting much of it, since Thunderdome was a mediocre film, so it was genuinely a very positive surprise. Plus a friend told me to watch it just like Desert's friend since it's basically a 2h car chase. Also Tom Hardy's grunting was funny.

The new Evil Dead was shit. If you enjoy the silly comedy of Campbell's Ash in the originals, stay away from this.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

uziq wrote:

how shit would the mad max sequel have needed to be in order to actually disappoint people. that movie is one of those rare franchises that is pretty much a license to print money. like stars wars and lord of the rings/the hobbit. there's a massive willing suspension of critical disbelief. people want to believe.
Muggles.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England
Network 10/10 amazing how relevant it still is 40 years later. Prescient.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6677|Disaster Free Zone
The man from UNCLE - 8

There were definitely parts throughout which I was constantly thinking, this is the direction James Bond films should have taken instead of the super gritty super soldier Bourne rip off they went with. Not quite to the extreme of this film as it has a very unconventional style and script.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The Martian - 0/10

The acting sucked, the script sucked, the casting sucked, the effects sucked, the science sucked.

That and the protagonist was changed from a mechanical engineer with a mild interest in botany to a fucking botanist.

Fuck you Ridley Scott.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Ex-Machina - 8/10
It was good, and I liked the Spoiler (highlight to read):
Asian sex robot thing.
Norway looks nice.
Have to agree, though I might give it a higher rating. Truly one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time...and not just because of all the full-frontal female robot nekkidness.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

Had to watch the first one once. It wasn't the worst thing in the world. I am not going to go see this in the theatre and I won't set time apart to watch it on television. I won't claw my eyes out of my head if I was forced to watch it though.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Pixels - 4.5 2.5 1/10

The CGI was great, and it was a neat feeling recognizing most of the stuff in the movie, but that was the high point for me.

The characters were a bit insulting, seeming to gamers what blackface is to African Americans. We get two media-endorsed stereotypes: the dead-end job burnout, and the dangerous, tinfoil hat guy who lives in his grandmother's basement. The other two may be less typical (POTUS and convict), but are still cringe-worthy dopes. And of course, to top it off they had to insert the easily-nettled, smarter-than-all-the-men, icy love-interest that was getting old when the 90's were doing it.

I know I shouldn't let all that interfere with enjoying a spectacle film, but it was really painful in hindsight.

e2: This is one of those rare movies where my opinion of it can be observed to degenerate in the time it takes to make a sandwich. It gets to keep a point because the tidal wave of old video game characters kept me completely distracted from its otherwise cynical dreck.

---

e1: JP4 - ?/10

I honestly don't know if it was the worst, because I don't remember much about JP2 or JP3. The CGI fights were cool enough, but the characters were either forgettable or ridiculous. Usually both. It's one of those movies that's so acceptably average that it defies rating by scale, but I went into it not expecting anything different.

https://i.imgur.com/C8pm4g8.jpg
meanwhile at InGen ...

Going to pick my next blockbuster with a bit more care.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6320|Graz, Austria
Primer - 8/10

Great Scott!
This movie is "Back To The Future" smashed hard into "Groundhog Day".
Only without the need of 1.21 gigawatts of energy or a sappy love story.

I would give this movie a 9.5/10 if the indie production ($7000 budget) wasn't so bad at times.
From now on I have to enable subtitles to be able to understand every dialog and every background chatter.

Granted, the movie was made in 2004 on celluloid film, way before cheap HD cameras became standard.

A time line as laid out by XKCD:
https://i.imgur.com/DD7grK7.png

And the real one:
http://i.imgur.com/eWB0PhL.jpg
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6677|Disaster Free Zone
Spectre - 2.5/10

The second worst Bond film to date. Horrible story, horrible CGI, horrible script, piss poor unbelievable action, exceedingly slow, boring and monotonous. Also when every scene has an 'epic' musical score in kind of loses its impact and just becomes loud annoying disruptive background noise.

The 21st century has not been kind to the bond franchise. I don't know why I keep going back.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6681|United States of America
Spectre - 7.5/10

In terms of story in recent films, it certainly seems to be more cheesy like those of the '60s and '70s, but it was a nice wrap-up for Daniel Craigs films. The cinematography was outstanding, though not quite as good as Skyfall, which did seem to be climax of the series and this was falling action. Still quite good on its own, though.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Kill The Messenger - 8/10

More for the story than the cinematography although it was perfectly good - the CIA were importing drugs into the US to fund the Contras - GG USA

Don't believe it? The US was cheerfully selling weapons to Iran for the same purpose, flooding America with coke and crack was trivial by comparison.
Ultrafunkula

Spectre - 8/10

Good Bond movie. The big plot twist was quite obvious, but so what.
Ultrafunkula

Star Wars - Force Awakens

I'mma give it a nice 9/10

One minus for a few silly things Spoiler (highlight to read):
and some 'yeah, I saw that coming' moments. not gonna tell 'em yet but all in all this was a very good Star Wars unlike the last 3 vomits by Lucas. Can't ofc compete with IV V VI, but this felt fresh and well made. The humor was good but it didn't go too far to be a complete comedy. CGI was a bit crummy in few parts, but nothing like I II III. Wonder why they just can't make all the alien masks by hand... Can't wait for VIII
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Tremors 5

not enough monsters / 10

am disappoint
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3956|SL,UT

Han shot first

https://i.imgur.com/VuRykrp.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard