Brasso
+1,549|6619

i thought GOTG was fucking awesome. i didn't really know much about it going in, and it was super entertaining.

9.5/10
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6279|Washington St.
27 Dresses:

Easily 11/10

Katherine Heigl at the peak of her career and only looks go climb higher.
Judy Greer stole the show though!

I'm STILL laughing at the ending Spoiler (highlight to read):
SHE got married and every one of the brides that she was a bridesmaid as had to wear the same bridesmaid dress she wore for their wedding!!!! HAHAHAHAH

and of course James Marsden was absolutely to DIE FOR.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6702|Purplicious Wisconsin

Brasso wrote:

i thought GOTG was fucking awesome. i didn't really know much about it going in, and it was super entertaining.

9.5/10
I just came in to the theater on opening day thinking it would be decent and it turned out great. I felt 9/10 was too much of a rating for me personally, but to each their own.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Want a leg haffey?

Last edited by War Man (2014-08-04 22:36:28)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6763|Noizyland

What We Do in the Shadows

A lot of fun. Kind of oddball awkward humour but presented very well, (Jemaine Clement in particular knows the oddball humour craft well.) It's set in my home town so it was weird for the setting to be so familiar. A lot of the night time scenes are literally right around the corner from my place and a few of the bars I go to often. Even the cinema where I was watching it was featured. First Taika Waititi film I've seen even though I heard "Boy" was really good, ("Eagle vs. Shark" apparently wasn't great.)

Strangely enough the "vampire bar" in the film, (The Big Kumera which was a known awful student bar with a giant sweet potato hovering over the bar like a giant consecrated turd,) closed down a few years ago and was replaced by a theatre called Bats Theatre.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6705
id definitely watch it seeing jemaine is part of it and murray!

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6095|eXtreme to the maX
Gone Girl - 9/10

It worked on so many levels:
Rosamund Pike's ass in a dress
Rosamund Pike's ass in shorts
Rosamund Pike's ass in jeans
Rosamund Pike's ass in a mini-dress
Rosamund Pike's ass in lingerie

The social commentary about the superficiality of people and their media obsession these days was a bonus I guess.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The Imitation Game - 9.5/10
The Theory of Everything - 9.7/10

American Sniper - 6/10

Synopsis: A no-hope redneck signs up to fight a war he doesn't understand, and is instead sent off to fight another war. He takes part in an illegal invasion of a blameless country where he mercilessly slaughters hundreds of civilians.

I don't know if it was supposed to a be a simple statement of facts, or it was so subtle as to be indiscernible, but I didn't think it was very good.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-02-08 03:42:31)

CC-Marley
+407|6817
Silver Linings Playbook 9/10
Cooper did an excellent job. De Niro as well. Jennifer was hot as usual.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6279|Washington St.
Drive

Jeezum crow that was more graphic than I was expecting.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6698|England. Stoke

pirana6 wrote:

Drive

Jeezum crow that was more graphic than I was expecting.
Yeah I can remember when I watched that I was slightly taken aback by it, good film mind.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6731|London

50 shades

3/10
don't waste your time
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6313|Graz, Austria

Dauntless wrote:

50 shades

3/10
don't waste your time
3/10?
I've seen worse ratings on BF2s for objectively better movies.

Or did give those points for the popcorn, nachos and drinks?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Avengers - Age of Derptron - 3/10
All three of those points were for Scarlett Johansson

Ex-Machina - 8/10
It was good, and I liked the Spoiler (highlight to read):
Asian sex robot thing.
Norway looks nice.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6706|Riva, MD
I should've went to see Ex Machina on Friday with my brother.  Sounds like it's a good'n

He said he liked it, but didn't like its "execution" and didn't clarify on that

Last edited by _j5689_ (2015-05-11 04:03:10)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6763|Noizyland

Age of Ultron. It was fun. Standard Marvel fare except with a more star-studded cast than usual. James Spader delivered as Ultron but he's better in the flesh. I'd say it was better than the first one but it wasn't as iconic and it was kind of odd that the bad guy plan in the first and second was essentially the same, involving a lot of disposable peons for the Avengers teem to splat, zap, blast, or shoot while some MacGuffin works at destroying the world somehow.

Looking forward to seeing Mad Max: Fury Road. Even though I've never even seen the Mel Gibson films this one just looks brilliant. Apparently George Miller intended it to be an animation so every shot was meticulously storyboarded. It's likely to mean its assembly is completely different to the standard action movie over the last couple of decades. Very interested to see how it all works out.

Edit: Saw Fury Road. Phwoar.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6611|Little Bentcock
Fury

I don't know what the story line was.

Left a shadow in my mind though for a while so mae an impression nonetheless
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6698|England. Stoke

Adams_BJ wrote:

Fury
I don't know what the story line was.
Murica won the war.
jsnipy
+3,276|6511|...

Saw Selma, American Sniper, and, Birdman on plane deeeeeepressing trio.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6764|Moscow, Russia
interstellar: 9.9/10

nolan is as good as ever, zimmer is fantastic at what he does. -0.1 for sort of clumsy explanation/ending, but that's that. overall, awesome, will watch again to catch nuances later for sure.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6313|Graz, Austria

Shahter wrote:

nolan is as good as ever, zimmer is fantastic at what he does. -0.1 for sort of clumsy explanation/ending, but that's that. overall, awesome, will watch again to catch nuances later for sure.
I suggest Kip Thorne's "The Science of Interstellar".
http://www.amazon.com/Science-Interstel … 0393351378

He's a theoretical physicist and was the scientific advisor for the movie.
And it's pretty much scientifically accurate, apart from several parts where Nolan trashed science to get better drama.

Having said that, I would rate the movie a bit lower, because the blatantly apparent "love is a universal force" crap messed up what could have become the best hard sci-fi movie so far for me.

McConaughey as the ship's captain would never have allowed Hathaway's reasoning based on love and feelings in reality.
That would have been like the Apollo 13 crew deciding to trust in god, instead of fixing their carbon dioxide scrubber.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6698|England. Stoke

globefish23 wrote:

Shahter wrote:

And it's pretty much scientifically accurate, apart from several parts where Nolan trashed science to get better drama.

Having said that, I would rate the movie a bit lower, because the blatantly apparent "love is a universal force" crap messed up what could have become the best hard sci-fi movie so far for me.

McConaughey as the ship's captain would never have allowed Hathaway's reasoning based on love and feelings in reality.
That would have been like the Apollo 13 crew deciding to trust in god, instead of fixing their carbon dioxide scrubber.
There's discovery documentary they did with the same title it's in full on youtube somewhere.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6764|Moscow, Russia

globefish23 wrote:

Shahter wrote:

that's what -0.1 is there for. it's a very minor thing imo though.

am i missing something, or wasn't hathaway and her reasoning rejected anyway?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6763|Noizyland

So Jurassic World.

Incredibly dumb. Just ludicrous. So much wrong with this film.

And yet I enjoyed the Hell out of it. It's an exceptional exercise in fan service so much so that it even has a character that is effectively a surrogate for the fans and it creates sequences that tries to redeem the franchise from fan criticisms of the third film with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. It doesn't have any of the dialogue in the first and second films, its lead isn't believable in any way, the kids are annoying and unconvincing, the convenient plot devices are rampant, the human antagonist chews the scenery more than the dinosaurs do, there are record skips in tone and there are unresolved plot elements and it is by in large a mess. I don't think it will hold up to repeat viewings and I'm not convinced it'll be a Jurassic Park for the younger generation, (but that isn't up to me anyway,) but what the Hell, I had fun and as a fan felt well pandered to.

It will satisfy the fans of the original and it will satisfy people who want to see a big hammy blockbuster full of dinosaur chompings. I'd say in terms of ambition it stands apart from the standard summer blockbuster - or maybe just becasue we haven't seen a dinosaur-based creature feature for a long time. But still anyone going to it looking for anything more than that will be disappointed. Very much separated from its predecessors by being a film for the Marvel age.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I was waiting for him to strap a kangaroo saddle on the back of a velociraptor and go hurtling around on that.

Guardians of the Galaxy 8/10
It had every sci fi cliché in the book, but it was done well, the characters were more personable than the Avengers and the script didn't suck.
Also Zoe Saldana in lycra could not fail.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6621|949

I thought Guardians of the Galaxy was an awesome super hero movie.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard