WienerBreath
Hai guys
+14|5472|Fort Hood, Texas
Well I shot a lot of guns on Sunday and didn't have any ear protection because it wasn't available. The guns didn't really seem to bother me, but when I shot a pistol (a .44 caliber I think) my hearing started to get lower. So I couldn't hear after I was done shooting, but now I can hear a little better, but I still have a ringing noise in my ear when I hear loud noises. Has anyone ever had any experience with these kind of problems?
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6417|Amsterdam‫
had the ringing when some fireworks exploded 1m from my face. that went away after 10min
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

There have been more than a few raves and concerts where I forgot to bring ear plugs There was one time where I pushed my way up to the front row and was next to a big wall of speakers for 6 hours straight. Definitely not good. However, I think I had tinnitus before these instances, so on one hand it's not that big a deal, but on the other hand, I was only making it worse.

The ringing will go away after a day or two, but when it gets really quiet, then you'll be able to hear the ringing again. I've never known what silence "sounds" like because every time it gets quiet I hear ringing. Fortunately it's not that bad since I'm not annoyed by it. (Just last night I went to sleep with earplugs in and was able to fall asleep despite constant ringing)
Lai
+186|6122
If it was a one time occasion, your hearing will return fully after a week or so. Unless of course your ear drums were ripped, but you probably would have known
Simon
basically
+838|6629|UK
aids
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6417|Amsterdam‫

Simon wrote:

aids
SARS
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6736|Cambridge (UK)
cooties
LT.Victim
+1,175|6533|British Columbia, Canada
The ringing you hear will go away in a day or so.. The damage (how very little it may be) that you've done to your ears won't.

Next time, wear ear protection.

I've made the mistake of going to way to many raves without ear plugs, I got a hearing test a few months ago and all though my hearing is still normal i know its on a decline.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5970|Vortex Ring State

menzo2003 wrote:

had the ringing when some fireworks exploded 1m from my face. that went away after 10min
Saaaaaaaaame. Yeah, the ringing is called called tinnitus.

Shooting anything unsuppressed above a .22 is bad, very bad for your ears.
I once was near somebody who shot a 20 gauge, and I didn't have hearing protection, damn, my eardrums sorta bled.

The effect will probably go away after some time, however, you still might have a bit of hearing loss.
GravyDan
Back from the Grave(y)
+768|5903|CA
Hearing is for pussies.  Besides, listening to deaf people try to talk is awesome.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6361

I have tinnitus, but only sometimes.  Other times I can be in perfectly silent surroundings and hear nothing.
bennisboy
+829|6617|Poundland

some_random_panda wrote:

I have tinnitus, but only sometimes.  Other times I can be in perfectly silent surroundings and hear nothing.
This.

Also, do soldiers wear ear protection> Its something I've always wondered, cos surely they need to be able to hear all the little enemy related noises?
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6424|USA
I have self-diagnosed tinnitus, havn't talked to anyone about it really...
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6692|Sydney, Australia
I've got tinnitus. I've had it for as long as I can remember.. and it's pretty fucked too. Mine's not related to loud music or anything like that, so I'll save you a rant about my tinnitus and hearing protection (ie. don't waste your fuckinig hearing) - I'm sure you could find it in one of my older posts.

Hopefully it will go away in a week or so. Your ears need time to heal, so no excessive noise mkay? If it doesn't go away, feel free to PM me.. before you freak out about it.

bennisboy wrote:

Also, do soldiers wear ear protection> Its something I've always wondered, cos surely they need to be able to hear all the little enemy related noises?
I've always wondered that too.
WienerBreath
Hai guys
+14|5472|Fort Hood, Texas
Well it's gotten better over the past day, but I'm just worried because when I hear really loud noises they seem to echo in my ear. I can hear perfectly fine, it's just that echo that's scaring me a little bit.

I can also notice higher frequencies a lot better too. Like my TV.

Last edited by WienerBreath (2009-04-14 18:06:21)

Runs_with_sciss0rs
Well butter my buscuit
+121|6162|14072

mcminty wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

I asked my buddy from work who was in the army and he said that they don't because they need to be able to hear orders n such
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6312|Atlanta, Georgia
Give it 1-3 days to clear up. Happens to me to.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5970|Vortex Ring State

Runs_with_sciss0rs wrote:

mcminty wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

I asked my buddy from work who was in the army and he said that they don't because they need to be able to hear orders n such
sucks 4 them. I always thought they wore earplugs in the ear closest to the gun...
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6361

fermatx wrote:

Runs_with_sciss0rs wrote:

mcminty wrote:

sucks 4 them. I always thought they wore earplugs in the ear closest to the gun...
Time to make coilguns.  Hurry up, technology.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6655|Espoo, Finland

bennisboy wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

This.

Active ear protection!

i.e. the kind with microphones and speakers inside.

Atleast we do in Finland.

Last edited by Gawwad (2009-04-15 04:29:56)

Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6168|Winland

mtb0minime wrote:

There have been more than a few raves and concerts where I forgot to bring ear plugs There was one time where I pushed my way up to the front row and was next to a big wall of speakers for 6 hours straight. Definitely not good. However, I think I had tinnitus before these instances, so on one hand it's not that big a deal, but on the other hand, I was only making it worse.

The ringing will go away after a day or two, but when it gets really quiet, then you'll be able to hear the ringing again. I've never known what silence "sounds" like because every time it gets quiet I hear ringing. Fortunately it's not that bad since I'm not annoyed by it. (Just last night I went to sleep with earplugs in and was able to fall asleep despite constant ringing)
I've got quite bad permanent tinnitus Had it since I was a kid. It's not just a gentle ringing when it's quiet, but a constant, loud 13-15kHz beep. Louder than sitting close to an old CRT TV.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

Gawwad wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

some_random_panda wrote:

This.

Active ear protection!

i.e. the kind with microphones and speakers inside.

Atleast we do in Finland.
Finland needs to harden the fuck up.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

That ringing in your ears? When that stops you will never hear that specific frequency again because you've permanently damaged your ear's ability to pick up that frequency of sound vibration.

Saw it in a movie once, can't remember the specific quote, dunno how true it is but it sounded pretty awesome.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6361

Flecco wrote:

That ringing in your ears? When that stops you will never hear that specific frequency again because you've permanently damaged your ear's ability to pick up that frequency of sound vibration.

Saw it in a movie once, can't remember the specific quote, dunno how true it is but it sounded pretty awesome.
I'm pretty sure that's not true.

The reason it rings is because the sound wave pushes the hairs of the innermost part of the cochlear down, and this takes a while to clear up again.  But do it enough and you start killing off the hairs of that area.  (So I suppose it's partly true, but only with very loud/extended sounds)
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

some_random_panda wrote:

Flecco wrote:

I'm pretty sure that's not true.

The reason it rings is because the sound wave pushes the hairs of the innermost part of the cochlear down, and this takes a while to clear up again.  But do it enough and you start killing off the hairs of that area.  (So I suppose it's partly true, but only with very loud/extended sounds)
Spoiler (highlight to read):
In the movie he had a bomb go off about 2m away from him. Had bleeding ears.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard