acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6662|NAS Jacksonville, Florida
So, I've always wanted to be a Navy SEAL, and have been working at it since I recovered from breaking my thumb and fracturing my elbow.

After I enlisted in the Navy last August and went to Hospital Corps School from October through February of this year, I've learned about various jobs I can do as a Corpsman.

Now it's between this...

Navy SEAL

or

Special Amphibious Reconnaissance Corpsman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland
Dude I have learned everything I know about Navy Seals from "GI Jane" ( which I quite liked as a movie) . From what I know they are pretty kickarse but thats all I know. I know nothing about the Special Amphib Recon Corps. Could you say a bit about both, and what you will have to do to qualify ( keep it short of course). For what its worth kudos for aiming so high, and good luck.

I do think that Navy Seals have to wear especially tight shorts, which may be a problem, but thats from the movie as well so that may not be the case.
acEofspadEs6313
For a SARC, the pipeline is such...

Field Medical Training Battalion --- 7 Weeks
Basic Reconnaissance Course --- 12 Weeks
Basic Airborne School --- 3 Weeks
Combatant Diver's Course --- 8 Weeks
ARC Diving Medicine Course --- 3 Weeks
Special Operations Combat Medic Course --- 24 Weeks
Special Operations Medic Sergeant --- 22 Weeks

Total --- 79 Weeks

To be a medic for the SEALs...

Indoctrination Course --- 3 Weeks
Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) Training --- 24 Weeks
Static Line Jump Training --- 1 Week
Military Free Fall Qualification --- 3 Weeks
Special Operations Medic Sergeant --- 22 Weeks
SEAL Qualification Training (SQT) --- 19 Weeks

Total --- 72 Weeks

Last edited by acEofspadEs6313 (2008-06-08 00:26:47)

Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland
Hardcore stuff mate. I wish you the best either way. I think SEALS sounds more impressive if thats important.
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6343|Kyiv, Ukraine
Go SEAL, then if you wash out, fall back on plan B.  No shame in that.  Just be ready for a plan C if you break yourself really well in training.  I've seen a couple of SEAL and SF washouts in wheelchairs without a plan B.  Safety first!
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6463|N. Ireland

acEofspadEs6313 wrote:

I've always wanted to be a Navy SEAL
Go with your dream.
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
SEAL, you've got more options when you leave the forces. Should you decide civilian life isn't what you want when you leave...
jamiecracker
+17|6717|Wollongong,Australia

kylef wrote:

acEofspadEs6313 wrote:

I've always wanted to be a Navy SEAL
Go with your dream.
always strive for what you really desire
SealXo
+309|6505
be a seal thats badass
noone knows what a sarc is thats whhy
Reciprocity
+721|6550|the dank(super) side of Oregon
do the seal thing, get the little seal diploma, quit and go work for blackwater, make real money.
Ghandi767
+17|6592|Hanging in the Balance
For those wondering, SARC is basically a Corpsman for Force Recon/MARSOC.

I'd say SARC, but ultimately go where your heart says. Personally, I'd find Recon/MARSOC more interesting than SEALs, but it comes down to you. None of us are going to be with ya on the beach. If you went one, would you eventually be able to switch? Other than the 22 week SF Medic Sergeant Course, nothing is exactly the same but I have to believe if you pass Basic Airborne they'll let you skip basic static line, and if you pass BUD/S they'll let you skip Combatant Diver.

Last edited by Ghandi767 (2008-06-08 18:25:05)

{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6729|San Antonio, Texas

Reciprocity wrote:

do the seal thing, get the little seal diploma, quit and go work for blackwater, make real money.
My dad's friend joined blackwater for six months. He came back for a month, then vanished. His mother doesn't even know where he is. It's been six months. >.>
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC

Reciprocity wrote:

gotta do your 8 years of service first
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5903|United States

HurricaИe wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

how do you know this stuff?
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5931|Washington DC

argo4 wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

how do you know this stuff?
I'm considering Army ROTC in college, started doing some reading on it last summer. Not having school = lots of free time = lots of time to sit around and read shit online

I believe you can do 4 years of active duty then 4 years of reserves if you straight up enlist. For ROTC, I think they normally commission you into a reserve unit (hence Reserve Officer Training Corps) but I'm pretty sure you can opt for National Guard or Active Duty.
Reciprocity
+721|6550|the dank(super) side of Oregon

HurricaИe wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

not if you fist the CO's wife.  That's the key to early retirement.
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6692|Eastern PA
SARC prepares you for deployment with a MARSOC unit.

Either choice is special operations...essentially you have to figure out if you would want to deploy with SEALs or a Marine special operations unit.
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6737

jord wrote:

SEAL, you've got more options when you leave the forces. Should you decide civilian life isn't what you want when you leave...
thats right.

Mitch Buchanan went onto be a lifeguard.

Good times.
jamiecracker
+17|6717|Wollongong,Australia
force recon are by far the more professional soldiers
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6634|NT, like Mick Dundee

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

My dad's friend joined blackwater for six months. He came back for a month, then vanished. His mother doesn't even know where he is. It's been six months. >.>
Sounds pretty typical of Blackwater.

jamiecracker wrote:

force recon are by far the more professional soldiers
Ice Station, Area 57 and Scarecrow are all awesome. Would be cool if Marine Force Recon were really like that.

But they aren't.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
beerface702
+65|6663|las vegas
SEAL training is much harder then SARC, which isnt a cakewalk. I watched this on tv though, so what do i know.

Navy seal is most impressive though, they are the elite few.
beerface702
+65|6663|las vegas
https://www.impawards.com/1990/posters/navy_seals.jpg

best movie!
13rin
+977|6449

BN wrote:

jord wrote:

thats right.

Good times.
I know a Ex-Seal from Alaska.  He was the asst. Scout Master.  We didn't play normal scout games... The game was usually "Hunt Mitch".  Then we would all end up hog tied by a campfire.  Forget the game "drown Mitch" at the pool.  I've never seen someone dissappear in a fucking pool before that.  Good times.  He's now a D.E.A. agent.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
acEofspadEs6313

Ghandi767 wrote:

For those wondering, SARC is basically a Corpsman for Force Recon/MARSOC.

I'd say SARC, but ultimately go where your heart says. Personally, I'd find Recon/MARSOC more interesting than SEALs, but it comes down to you. None of us are going to be with ya on the beach. If you went one, would you eventually be able to switch? Other than the 22 week SF Medic Sergeant Course, nothing is exactly the same but I have to believe if you pass Basic Airborne they'll let you skip basic static line, and if you pass BUD/S they'll let you skip Combatant Diver.
It's possible to switch, but it'll be extremely difficult to do so. Many Force Recon Marines go blue and try and be SEALs, and that's hard as hell. But, they can only spend 5 years in Recon, and there's a bunch of them. Currently, the Navy wants around 200 SARCs, and they only have about 100.

So... SARC to SEAL sounds like a bitch and a half with politics and papers.
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6692|Eastern PA

DBBrinson1 wrote:

BN wrote:

jord wrote:

thats right.

Good times.
I know a Ex-Seal from Alaska.  He was the asst. Scout Master.  We didn't play normal scout games... The game was usually "Hunt Mitch".  Then we would all end up hog tied by a campfire.  Forget the game "drown Mitch" at the pool.  I've never seen someone dissappear in a fucking pool before that.  Good times.  He's now a D.E.A. agent.
My first boss was an ex-Green Beret and Jiujutsu instructor. Weird guy and I've known a few Special Forces types, but he was clearly off his rocker.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard