Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6602

How to Make a Mini-Image

I made this guide, because I saw many people asking questions around here about Mini Images, Daemon Tools, and the like.

First of All:

This tutorial is only for people who have purchased their copy of whatever game they want to make a mini-image of. So, do not use this tutorial if you do not own a copy of whatever game you’re making a mini-image of.

Alcohol 120% and Alcohol 52% are registered trademarks of Alcohol-Soft (http://www.alcohol-soft.com/).

DAEMON Tools is a registered trademark of Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/announcements.php)
You know you hate putting in the CD for that game you want to play, because you’re so lazy, and refuse to move 5 feet from your chair. Here’s the quick, easy, legal solution.

At most this should take you 10 minutes.

What you need:

Any Version of Alcohol:This software will produce the mini image. This software isn’t freeware, so because you won’t be using it for long, just download the trial, or you can PM me if you want to “buy” it.

DAEMON Tools: This software is what will allow you to mount and run the mini image.
In my opinion the best image mounting software.

In order to make the mini Images:
1.    Put your Disk One into your CD drive and open up whatever version of alcohol you downloaded
2.    Once in Alcohol go to the ‘Image-making wizard’ Follow the steps they are self explanatory.
3.    It should start reading the disk and making an image of it.
4.    IMPORTANT STEP – After about 2-3 errors stop the scan. It will then ask you if you want to delete the uncompleted image files, click "No"
5.    In the wizard you set a place where the image was saved to. Open up explorer and find your files. There should be 2 files one with a suffix .mds and one with a suffix .mdf, both are needed. If you like the spot where these are saved than leave them if not. Make another folder and move them to wherever you like. It’s a good idea to get them where you want before you run the image so you don’t run into problems down the road.

You are done producing the image! You are through the hardest part, you will soon be playing your favorite games without disk one!

In order to use the mini Images:

With DAEMON Tools installed on your machine Running or ‘Mounting’ the image take a matter of seconds.
1.    If you haven’t already, make sure DAEMON tools if running. You will know this when there is an icon in your taskbar that is red and when hovering above it says DAEMON tools.
2.    Right Click on this and go into Virtual CD/DVD Drive emulation. Then go down to set the number of drives. If you plan on doing this one more than one CD change it so it fits your needs.
3.    Now in Virtual CD/DVD Drive emulation go to your Drive (Mine was called Drive G) and go to ‘Mount-Image’ Navigate to were you saved your mini-images and then double click on the one that shows up. There should only be one of your 2 files being shown (the one with a suffix of .mds)

Once it is mounted correctly a pop-up should appear with the contents of Disk-One. You are now done!
There you go!

Last edited by Gooners (2008-06-03 16:39:58)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6423|The Twilight Zone
Nice. Sticky for nubs like Finny.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6109|New Jersey
Also, gamecopyworld.com has pre-made mini images for just about every game out there.  Free to download.

Nice guide, it's spot on.

Last edited by SpIk3y (2008-06-03 16:42:00)

Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6602

SpIk3y wrote:

Also, gamecopyworld.com has pre-made mini images for just about every game out there.  Free to download.

Nice guide, it's spot on.
Yeah, but that ruins the fun of following my guide
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6576|Greenwood, IN
Except games with the newest copy protection.  Mini won't work anymore.  Example being 2142 or later.  Not say all games won't work but ones with that protection will not work anymore.  But, if you notice game makers are by passing this now in favor of the games running off the HDD.  Example being Supreme commander.  It started out requiring the CD but a later patch removed it.  COD4 allows you to play multilayer without CD.  What you should do is figure out what games on these forums most people play will support the mini image work around.  vvv

Work List:
BF2

Won't Work List:
BF2142
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6602

Naturn wrote:

Except games with the newest copy protection.  Mini won't work anymore.  Example being 2142 or later.  Not say all games won't work but ones with that protection will not work anymore.  But, if you notice game makers are by passing this now in favor of the games running off the HDD.  Example being Supreme commander.  It started out requiring the CD but a later patch removed it.  COD4 allows you to play multilayer without CD.  What you should do is figure out what games on these forums most people play will support the mini image work around.  vvv

Work List:
BF2

Won't Work List:
BF2142
Will Do, or try, a little busy right at this moment.
Stimey
­
+786|6090|Ontario | Canada
Sticky.
That is all.
­
­
­
­
­
­
.Sup
be nice

Stimey wrote:

Sticky.
That is all.
Thats it?? No " I love u G!!!!11!"? Cmon u can do better than that.
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

Naturn wrote:

Work List:
BF2

Won't Work List:
BF2142
Just download 2142 instead of having a silly plastic disk, problem solved.

@OP, Good post btw +1

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-06-03 17:01:59)

CrazeD
+368|6643|Maine

Naturn wrote:

Work List:
BF2

Won't Work List:
BF2142
One word: YASU.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6602

CrazeD wrote:

Naturn wrote:

Work List:
BF2

Won't Work List:
BF2142
Lol yeah, but I can't post that here
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6576|Greenwood, IN

CrazeD wrote:

Naturn wrote:

Work List:
BF2

Won't Work List:
BF2142
So why have you not posted this earlier?  I have created a thread as about 2142 and I saw numerous other threads on the same subject.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6282

.Sup wrote:

You mean Ted...who's PC went up in smoke when he tried to put it together.
.Sup
be nice

ebug9 wrote:

.Sup wrote:

You mean Ted...who's PC went up in smoke when he tried to put it together.
Ye but Ted belongs to the ubernoob category. No point in making guides for them, they can't be helped.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6590|Mhz

I vote sticky, it's something that's useful to pretty much everyone here.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6602

Thanks guys, feel free to leave any comments/suggestions.
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6103|Carnoustie, Scotland

.Sup wrote:

no u

But
https://www.fivefourteen.net/motivational-posters/sticky%20this%20thread.jpgp
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6602

Funky_Finny wrote:

.Sup wrote:

no u

But
http://www.fivefourteen.net/motivationa … hread.jpgp
I can't see it, but i can read... Sticky, this thread!!!!
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85
stuck
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

Neat guide Also, is Daemon tools really necessary? I've got the basic Alcohol 52% and just made a virtual drive with that and keep my mini-image of BF2 mounted via that program.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

congrats on making a sticky
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6602

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

stuck
Thanks
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6298

mtb0minime wrote:

Neat guide Also, is Daemon tools really necessary? I've got the basic Alcohol 52% and just made a virtual drive with that and keep my mini-image of BF2 mounted via that program.
I use Daemon tools, and I can mount up to 4 diff drives, but what is weird, after I mount four games, they only stay there for the duration I have my computer on. After I reboot, they are still viewable in the virtual drives, but the full file path shows, and they dont work when clicking on the game shortcut.

So, my question is, how can I fix this? And, does Alcohol 52% work in the same way? Do you always have to mount the image everytime you want 2 play?
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
CrazeD
+368|6643|Maine

Im_Dooomed wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

I use Daemon tools, and I can mount up to 4 diff drives, but what is weird, after I mount four games, they only stay there for the duration I have my computer on. After I reboot, they are still viewable in the virtual drives, but the full file path shows, and they dont work when clicking on the game shortcut.

So, my question is, how can I fix this? And, does Alcohol 52% work in the same way? Do you always have to mount the image everytime you want 2 play?
This thread is 8 months old.

Get the Daemon Tools Pro version, you can have unlimited drives.
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6298

I know how old it is. Id rather post here then make my own thread on mini-images and Daemon tools. Are you saying Pro version wont reset the virtual drives to nothing after a reboot? Cause thats what mines doing.
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard