max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

That must suck for the people who live there. Then again this is another county and none of our business
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
Democracy only works in countries with educated people.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland
A doctor from Iran visited our lab a couple of years ago. He was a very intelligent, nice bloke. He really loved his country, ( liked a drink) however said on many occasions that the people in govt were dickheads. He showed me a lot of photos of Iran and it looked really cool. If they could get rid of Ahmadinejad that country could really go places.

On topic, yeah that piece of legislation really sucks. policy like that will keep Iran as one of the countries the rest of the world looks down on. Also will help to give Islam a bad name
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6380|'Murka

max wrote:

That must suck for the people who live there. Then again this is another county and none of our business
This wouldn't fall into the category of human rights violations? You get killed if you exercise freedom of religion?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525

FEOS wrote:

max wrote:

This wouldn't fall into the category of human rights violations? You get killed if you exercise freedom of religion?
Lots and lots of countries violate human rights and nobody does jackshit. Unfortunately for Iran the only countries that violate human rights that other countries decide to meddle with are those with oil or those that are in a militarily strategic location.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-02-27 03:22:39)

FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

CameronPoe wrote:

FEOS wrote:

max wrote:

Lots and lots of countries violate human rights and nobody does jackshit. Unfortunately for Iran the only countries that violate human rights that other countries decide to meddle with are those with oil or those that are in a militarily strategic location.
I was talking about the unwritten rule around here that, while most domestic policies are off limits, those that clearly violate human rights are no longer strictly "domestic" in nature.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525

FEOS wrote:

I was talking about the unwritten rule around here that, while most domestic policies are off limits, those that clearly violate human rights are no longer strictly "domestic" in nature.
That would be an unwritten rule I would not really subscribe to. I think that if you are to subscribe to that rule then one must not be hypocritical in doing so. For example, taking Iran to task should also necessitate taking Israel, Zimbabwe, Burma, Russia, Saudi Arabia, China and numerous other nations to task - and at the end of the day who is going to fund possible military actions against all of these mighty and not-so-mighty powers when one has far more pressing domestic issues.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-02-27 03:42:41)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire
I disagree with religion and Government mixing in this way but it's Iran and it's none of my business. If they start to try and impose these rules on their neighbouring countries and beyond then maybe I'll start getting worried.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525
Also why the big deal about Iran - look what I found:

"Under Saudi law conversion by a Muslim to another religion is considered apostasy, a crime punishable by death if the accused does not recant."

Good ole Saudi Arabia.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/Christian_Bypass.jpg/600px-Christian_Bypass.jpg

https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44209000/jpg/_44209633_saudi_pa203b.jpg

https://sporkinthedrawer.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/03/28/bush_holds_hand.jpg

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-02-27 04:08:14)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

CameronPoe wrote:

"Under Saudi law conversion by a Muslim to another religion is considered apostasy, a crime punishable by death if the accused does not recant."

Good ole Saudi Arabia.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … Bypass.jpg

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 … pa203b.jpg

http://sporkinthedrawer.typepad.com/pho … s_hand.jpg
Great sign ...apartheid-o-rama!
Bernadictus
+1,055|6706

Wow. Just wow.
I always knew these people lived in the stoneages, but hell. Their leaders are living in a primordial soup.
zeidmaan
+234|6384|Vienna

CameronPoe wrote:

Good ole Saudi Arabia.

3 lines for Muslims and 2 lines for non Muslims sounds fair to me, in a country with Muslim majority.

Last edited by zeidmaan (2008-02-27 04:22:46)

Bernadictus
+1,055|6706

zeidmaan wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Good ole Saudi Arabia.

3 lines for Muslims and 2 lines for non Muslims sounds fair to me, in a country with Muslim majority.
/facedesk
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Serge, I never knew Ahmadinejad was claiming he is a moderate.  Everyone knows the Iranian regime is one of the worst oppressors of Human Rights.  The question is, when will the dumb ass hierarchy stop supporting it?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
I guess you mean like suspension of habeus corpus, cruel and unusual punishment - ie torture, backtracking on the Geneva convention....... 
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6811|Cologne, Germany

well, that's unfortunate, but I guess that's what you get for living in an islamic nation. But hey, it's their country, and they live in the system of government of their own choice.

They have had a revolution before, I guess they can have another one if necessary.
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
I suppose it's easier to grow up with a lack of rights and never know any different than to have rights and lose them...
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

CameronPoe wrote:

FEOS wrote:

That would be an unwritten rule I would not really subscribe to. I think that if you are to subscribe to that rule then one must not be hypocritical in doing so. For example, taking Iran to task should also necessitate taking Israel, Zimbabwe, Burma, Russia, Saudi Arabia, China and numerous other nations to task - and at the end of the day who is going to fund possible military actions against all of these mighty and not-so-mighty powers when one has far more pressing domestic issues.
And various members of this forum take all those countries to task for various domestic policies that have broader-reaching implications...such as human-rights violations, political persecution, ethnic cleansing, etc.

The types of domestic policies that have no impact outside the country under discussion (domestic tax policy, gun laws, etc) are the ones that members have started to stay away from, to greater and lesser degrees. At least that's a trend I've seen of late.
― Albert Einstein

FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

I guess you mean like suspension of habeus corpus, cruel and unusual punishment - ie torture, backtracking on the Geneva convention....... 
Yes. Just like those.

But good attempt.
― Albert Einstein

AutralianChainsaw
+65|6168

max wrote:

Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6700|Uhh... erm...

Bernadictus wrote:

zeidmaan wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Good ole Saudi Arabia.

/facedesk
LMAO

It's always the government screwing things up. Replace Ahmedinejad with a moderate and everything should work itself out.

As for the roadsigns, non-Muslims are not allowed in Mecca. Why would non-Muslims want to go there anyway?

EDIT: That pictue of Bush and the King holding hands just screams "GAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!".

Last edited by Tetrino (2008-02-27 05:24:56)

David.P
Banned
+649|6243

CameronPoe wrote:

FEOS wrote:

max wrote:

/Facepalm.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6590|London, England
It's funny how the country that fought so hard in an attempt save itself in the face of Arab Islamic invaders, is now the country that is the craziest Islamic country out of them all.

Weak Minded people. I used to have respect in general for Persian people, now I just want to nail their chicks
David.P
Banned
+649|6243

Tetrino wrote:

Bernadictus wrote:

zeidmaan wrote:

/facedesk
LMAO

It's always the government screwing things up. Replace Ahmedinejad with a moderate and everything should work itself out.

As for the roadsigns, non-Muslims are not allowed in Mecca. Why would non-Muslims want to go there anyway?
As the TF2 demoman Would say. Kabloowy!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard