blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6616
After reading different number of U.S. newspapers for my Sociology class in my university's main library I stumbled upon, an a copy of the article about the social construction of Race transforming White into black. The article was published in Harper's weekly newspaper on December 9, 1876 the name of the article was "Journal of Civilization."

Today, the Irish are considered "white" but 150 years ago they were considered by many to be "black" or, more precisely "white Africans." Consider the following drawings from the mid to late 1800's in Harper''s Weekly (subtitles: "Journal of Civilization"):

The first drawing from the mid 1800s the modern Irish are depicted as a mix of an African race (the Iberians) and Irish "savages" of the Stone age - a mix producing an inferior race.

Although the Irishman sits on a scale labeled "white" he is clearly depicted as ape-like and thus white only in color but not in essence. It takes many years before the light-skinned Irish enter the "white race" in America. The process also works in reverse apparently.

https://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7330/mt15bm96sc6.gif

The Harper's Weekly newspaper shows an alleged similarity between "Irish Iberian" and "African (here in the picture they use the word" "Negro" features in contrast to the higher "Anglo-Teutonic." The accompanying caption indicates that the so-called Iberians were "believed to have been" an African race that invaded first Spain and then, apparently, Ireland, where they intermarried with native savages and "thus made way...for superior races" (like the English) to rule over them.

Last edited by blademaster (2009-01-26 18:35:03)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6526

blademaster wrote:

After reading different number of U.S. newspapers for my Sociology class in my university's main library I stumbled upon, an a copy of the article about the social construction of Race transforming White into black. The article was published in Harper's weekly newspaper on December 9, 1876 the name of the article was "Journal of Civilization."

Today, the Irish are considered "white" but 150 years ago they were considered by many to be "black" or, more precisely "white Africans." Consider the following drawings from the mid to late 1800's in Harper''s Weekly (subtitles: "Journal of Civilization"):

The first drawing from the mid 1800s the modern Irish are depicted as a mix of an African race (the Iberians) and Irish "savages" of the Stone age - a mix producing an inferior race.

Although the Irishman sits on a scale labeled "white" he is clearly depicted as ape-like and thus white only in color but not in essence. It takes many years before the light-skinned Irish enter the "white race" in America. The process also works in reverse apparently.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m302 … 15bm96.gif

The Harper's Weekly newspaper shows an alleged similarity between "Irish Iberian" and "African (here in the picture they use the word" "Negro" features in contrast to the higher "Anglo-Teutonic." The accompanying caption indicates that the so-called Iberians were "believed to have been" an African race that invaded first Spain and then, apparently, Ireland, where they intermarried with native savages and "thus made way...for superior races" (like the English) to rule over them.
This is a well known and notorious propaganda campaign used by the British to make out that the Irish were 'inferior beings', thus 'legitimising' or 'softening the crime' of stealing our land and subjugating our people. It was similar to the notion propagated by Hitler that the Jews were an 'untermensch' - subhuman. It's pretty disgusting but in those days political correctness wasn't an issue. It's a load of bullshit. If the Irish were African then how the fuck do we have the second highest prevalence of red hair in the world? Hardly very 'African'?

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-05-13 16:58:07)

HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6250
Just goes to show you two things about racists. One, they never really have any new ideas; it's always the same old shit that they've repackaged to make it look new. Two, they can always be counted on to drum up hatred for whatever group society doesn't like at the time.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6713|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
yeah there are definitely connections between Ireland and the African continent - especially round Galway city as it was a major stop on the journey along the Atlantian way, even in traditional Irish music, there are similarities to Moroccan music, at the end of the day we all came from cradle of Africa..
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6616

IG-Calibre wrote:

yeah there are definitely connections between Ireland and the African continent - especially round Galway city as it was a major stop on the journey along the Atlantian way, even in traditional Irish music, there are similarities to Moroccan music, at the end of the day we all came from cradle of Africa..
yeah this U.S. paper (back in 1876) was stating both Blacks and Irish were somehow nearer to apes than were Anglo-Saxon types.

Last edited by blademaster (2007-05-13 17:02:30)

Archer
rapes face
+161|6395|Canuckistan
lmfao
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6267|Bloomington Indiana
Cam Poe
This is a well known and notorious propaganda campaign used by the British to make out that the Irish were 'inferior beings', thus 'legitimising' or 'softening the crime' of stealing our land and subjugating our people. It was similar to the notion propagated by Hitler that the Jews were an 'untermensch' - subhuman. It's pretty disgusting but in those days political correctness wasn't an issue. It's a load of bullshit. If the Irish were African then how the fuck do we have the second highest prevalence of red hair in the world? Hardly very 'African'?
i cant add anything better to this
theres always gonna be some sorta of bigotry around at one time or another...just different receivers of it.

its a shame really

Last edited by Schwarzelungen (2007-05-13 17:08:28)

T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6253|Pennsyltucky

Wow, just wow.

Mods: not spamming, just nothing else to say.

Last edited by T.Pike (2007-05-13 17:10:40)

IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6713|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

blademaster wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

yeah this U.S. paper (back in 1876) was stating both Blacks and Irish were somehow nearer to apes than were Anglo-Saxon types.
Poe summed it up - we were being sent to the Colonies as slaves before our African brothers & sisters..

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2007-05-13 17:17:32)

Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6267|Bloomington Indiana
who was mister anonymous karma?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

CameronPoe wrote:

Even so, I wonder if I can get special benefits from my government for descending from "white Africans."
elstonieo
Oil 4 Euros not $$$
+20|6309|EsSeX
It could also have alot to do with a large influx of Irish Emigration to the US City's

just have to look at the world today illegal/legals/whatever always get bad press

CameronPoe have you even looked up what was happening in New York in 1876 ?

although what you say about the British may be true/ is true,  the only way that your statement fits the OP
is to total ignore the full facts of the political scène that was surrounding New York at the time.

Ok you hate what the British did to Ireland fair enough but please don’t let that cloud your judgement on all topics
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

What's wrong with that?
The_Mac
+96|6196
I wonder what that makes us Scots...we're White Africans too...but worse I guess.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6688|Riva, MD
OMG, I KNEW I WAS BLACK, THIS IS AWESOME, LAWLZ

lower case
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The_Mac wrote:

I wonder what that makes us Scots...we're White Africans too...but worse I guess.
Yeah. They merged...but my Irish balances out that bit of shame.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-05-13 20:09:47)

TheOneAndOnlyX
Banned
+36|6345|Florida, USA
Hahahahahahahahahahaahhaahhahahahahahahahaahahhahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahaha
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6625

I only read the topic title, but yes, at one point in U.S. history, Irish were considered lower than blacks. They'd be forced to do the jobs that not even blacks would do (the blacks were considered valuable property back then).
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6680|England. Stoke
I have seen several contemporary accounts whilst studying for my History degree, that actually described the Irish as the "niggers of Europe"...

Last edited by coke (2007-05-13 20:31:34)

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6616

coke wrote:

I have seen several contemporary accounts whilst studying for my History degree, that actually described the Irish as the "niggers of Europe"...
yeah I guess thats its no surprise then that Irish people who were living in America were treated that bad here if in Europe like you said they were considered as black people.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6521|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

CameronPoe wrote:

Cam, I know you hate us British but really, wait til someone posts somthing about Britain before you get on your high-horse, this came from an AMERICAN newspaper and for once we had nothing to do with it...
CameronPoe
+2,925|6526
http://www.nde.state.ne.us/SS/irish/unit_2.html

You'll catch my drift on the British side of things in the above article.

And yes it fit American agendas. They had signs in shop windows saying 'No blacks, no dogs, no Irish'.
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6669

Wow, 1876. Who cares.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Archer wrote:

lmfao
QFT
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6521|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

CameronPoe wrote:

http://www.nde.state.ne.us/SS/irish/unit_2.html

You'll catch my drift on the British side of things in the above article.

And yes it fit American agendas. They had signs in shop windows saying 'No blacks, no dogs, no Irish'.
...ahhh, the good old days.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard