mcnitchell
+6|6265
I have been pulling my hair out over this damn lost connection to server issue in BF2. Nobody has had a solid solution. I am running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor. I, well not I but a very knowledgable individual who helped me this morning, discovered that after a short period of time, I was loosing packets and therefore, lost my connection. When we pinged a server, the ping was fine when only sending 32KB packets. Then we sent larger packets. Those larger packets started out good, but then went to NEGATIVE PINGS! This is when I must be loosing my connection to the servers. This is what we found:

When you do a normal ping of a server, such as "ping www.yahoo.com", you only send very small packets of data and have a much less chance of one of those small packets being lost. So, I did this:

ping www.yahoo.com -l 4096 -t

That sent a much larger 4096 KB packet, like a game would, instead of the normal 32KB packet that is sent when "pinging" a server.

For those of you who are having the same problem Im having, check out if youre getting negative pings. The negative ping thing is, as far as I know, only a dual core processor problem though. The fix is simple. Just install the latest AMD processor drivers (see link below). My negative ping immediately went away. I havent played the game yet, as I am too excited to post this in hopes on helping other fix the problem.

YOU MUST READ THE LINKS BELOW!!!

Good luck!

1st = http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15398295

2nd = http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/SellAMDProducts/0,,30_177_861_13685,00.html

3rd = http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html
mcnitchell
+6|6265
Also, for those of you that dont know how to ping a server, check out this link...

http://www.more.net/technical/pingtrace.html
Homie22
+34|6581|Orange County, California
MOD PLZ sticky this xd
mcnitchell
+6|6265
Follow up:

Just played for 2 hours straight with no disconnects! Thats a first!
[AH1z]PJ
+75|6327
I dont see AMD athlon 64 drivers for windows on that page
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6360

I rarely have disconnects, and It's common for me to play for long periods of time with no problems.  Then again, I have Intel C2D.
Commie Killer
+192|6357
I have a 2.5 ghz P4 and I havent had a crash in my last 100 hours maybe 150.
[AH1z]PJ
+75|6327
I have a problem where my game freezes and goes like "1-2, 1-2, 1-2....." for like 20 seconds then I get a "theres a problem with your connection" error and get disconnected
Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6734
if only this would work for me, I have roommates that decided that they are going to always be downloading stuff so I can never get a stable connection.  I haven't been able to play for months.
bobroonie.bda
+143|6651
thx bro,

I use the AMD 64x2

Ive been having major problems with my bf, disconnect so bad that I cant even join the server. It would straight disconnect me when I clicked join game. I would have to restart my pc every time I wanted to play bf2.

Last edited by bobroonie.bda (2007-02-03 00:59:47)

(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6799|Grapevine, TX

Commie Killer wrote:

I have a 2.5 ghz P4 and I havent had a crash in my last 100 hours maybe 150.
QFE
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6536|England

My BF2 disconnects left right and centre. Although it has only been since we've had wireless internet (which sucks btw). We have just upgraded the speed (512 to 4mb ), and whereas the internet connection is no longer dropping - my BF2 connection is.
Just last night, I was playing BF2 on TV2 Daqing. I played about 8 rounds, all of which I didnt disconnect once. In the 8th round, I finally got to a jet before anyone else (first time Id flown for the whole game) - within 3minutes and 1 round trip of the F15, it lost the connection. I was the pilot. BF2 was still working, still connected and the server was still running - but the connection I had, had been lost.
I noticed my bomb aimer now had 1 death also, since the connection was lost as I was flying over the airfield...

Now, my processor is an AMD Athalon XP 3000+ MMX.
Im no hardware fanatic, but I assume that that is not a dual core.

I just ran the ping command (I knew of it, I didnt realise you could change the packet sizes..nice!!)

When I ping www.yahoo.co.uk with 32bytes, im losing 0% of packets with an average of 30ms.

When im pinging with 4096 bytes, im losing 62% of packets, with an average of 141ms
A lot of the requests time out, i.e. lost packets.

That is a huge loss. Im not getting -ve values for the pings.
Now, that might explain why im losing my connection in BF2 since being in a jet is surely going to require larger packets to suit what you can/cant see of all the other players in a server with 50+ people in it.
I also occasionaly get this in choppers on maps like FuShe, Daqing and other large maps. Funnily enough, it rarely occurs when Im ground-pounding.
I assume this is all related to the larger packets required and the loss of connection.
Ricerckt93
+69|6622
Thanks for the help.
seb--morin
Im high
+152|6610|Montréal, Québec
Nice job! Sticky !!!!

I also have this problem, often when i use my pc to do other things before i play (e.g. photoshop, limewire, msn...) i am shure that im going to lost my connection in the 20-30 min after i start to play.
There is also when i join hometown servers, my ping is around 15 and then POW! lost connection. Sometime i don't even have time to spawn. I can't play on any : Montreal,QUebec servers because of that

****BTW***** EVERYONE SHOULD PRESS CTR+D ******************

Last edited by 0seb--morin0 (2007-02-03 22:59:27)

bobroonie.bda
+143|6651
I must say boss that since I did what you said I have had 0 problems, not having to restart, game runs great now. You fixed my problem,

your the man thx
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6541|USA

bobroonie.bda wrote:

thx bro,

I use the AMD 64x2

Ive been having major problems with my bf, disconnect so bad that I cant even join the server. It would straight disconnect me when I clicked join game. I would have to restart my pc every time I wanted to play bf2.
i fucking love the OP. so much.
samfink
+31|6525
so it seems the CTDs weren't EA's fault after all............
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia
From the reactions, I'll sticky this.

Good job,

Mcminty.
J=MAN
+25|6628|OZ
I've got an Athlon X2 as well. When I started playing BF2 online I got frequent random disconnects, until I found a post in another forum that said you need to disable the second processor core when you run BF2. I've done this after every log-in for the last year. It's a pain in the @$$. Let's see if your deal is a fix for the same thing!
velocitychaos
+26|6466|Brisbane Australia

Ridir wrote:

if only this would work for me, I have roommates that decided that they are going to always be downloading stuff so I can never get a stable connection.  I haven't been able to play for months.
Move out......gaming is far more important than freindship.....you'll realise this as you get older
mcnitchell
+6|6265
Awesome! Im glad it worked for you guys. Ive played the last 3 nights for a solid 2 or 3 hours each night with not a single disconnect. And, I was soo close to un-installing BF2!
GbeTech
+9|6467
How do I know if I get negative pings? I only know I get a Lost Connection message once in a while, and when pinging:

ping www.yahoo.com -l 4096 -t
(or any other domain)

I always get a *Request Timed Out after one or maybe more successful pinging.
m00SNUKL
+0|6411
Ok Guys I Got A Dual Core  My Problem With Connection Was Due To The Norton Security I Would Get A "problem With Your Connection" In Middle Of The Game Then Mess "connection To Server Has Been Lost" After Reinstalling My Whole Sys And Updating All Drivers I Still Had Problem ...well I Ran Several Test With Comcast And Dell .. Dell Chk My Recent Activity And Found The Error In Middle Of Game Was Cause By The Norton Security..i Disabled It And Played My Fckn Brian's Out  Over 2 Hours With No Connection Problem...........solution Disable Security  Just Make Sure U Enable It B4 You Go On The Internet/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
bobroonie.bda
+143|6651
Ok so I put your advice to the test. I have not turned off or restarted my PC in about 4 or 5 days. Running different games, moveis and programs. Playing BF2 for a few hours at a time.  The game works perfect. I have not had 1 disconnect error.
(CrossBoneZ)
+3|6258
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I've been at this problem for a long time and tried everything that you can think of and I mean everything. I've googled and read every possible cause and solution, from network to dual core issues and still I was having the connection problem. but finally the Problem was fixed. I've been playing BF2 for days with no problems. I just about **** myself. I couldn't believe I was actually playing this game for so long without loosing connection . So here is what I did go to this site and download this fix. Its that easy. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=896256  or  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909944/ see you on the battlefield.

good site: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781

*NOTE (LOOSING CONNECTION VIA COMPATABILITY ISSUES NOT BANDWIDTH} NOTE*

my rig - amd dual core 2.35 ghz
DFI nf4 lan pary ultra d SLI pci exspress
2- geforce 7800 gtx
audigy 2 zs
window xp

BF2 name - (CrossBoneZ) - with brackets- check my stats they rock   

let me know if this works for you.

Last edited by (CrossBoneZ) (2007-02-09 11:00:59)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard