Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6209|Winland

Today I got my new CPU cooler, to replace my dying Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, that has fought on my side for three years. And I must say that I'm not impressed by this 850-gram, 57€ hunk of copper. I am, in fact, very disappointed about how it compares to a 92mm cooler that I bought for 17€ three years ago.

First of all, it was a bitch to install. Some plastic crap required me to take out the mobo, put a piece of plastic on the back, another piece at the front, mount the cooler and put it back. First of all, again, there were remains from the manufacturing process left everywhere, and they didn't even want to fit on the motherboard because of those. Second, when I finally got the plastic in place and was about to mount the cooler itself, it wouldn't fit, because the clip (Much like the old-school sockets for Pentium 1 and 3) touched the mobo. To attach the sink itself, I had to stick a screwdriver between the fins of the cooler, unscrew the screws that attach the plastic and slide the clip on. It's thinner closer to the base, so it isn't pushing against anything, thankfully.

Then when it came to cooling abilities, I was surprised to see how the old Freezer 7 Pro would run the CPU about 5-10C cooler than this one, and a lot quieter. With the F7P on max effect on 4GHz, it would idle at about 35C. With this one on max, it idles at 53C. I mean comeon! How can a three years old, 17€ 92mm heatpipe-based cooler surpass a brand new, 57€ 110mm direct contact-based one?! Zalman lost a lot of my trust with this cooler. It's in a whole other level than one of the cheapest coolers out there.

For shame, Zalman, for shame.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6465|The Twilight Zone
I had Freezer7Pro before and its no.1. Now i have CNPS and I'm not dissapointed. I cools fairly good and its not loud.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6209|Winland

.Sup wrote:

I had Freezer7Pro before and its no.1. Now i have CNPS and I'm not dissapointed. I cools fairly good and its not loud.
What number CNPS? The differences are huge.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6632|Mhz

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Title says 7500, which I would have told you is a fucking shitty cooler.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6209|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

https://www.ixbt.com/cpu/coolx/zalman9700/zalman9700-onmobo.jpg

https://www.ct-systemen.nl/images/7500_culed_c_p.jpg
Brasso
+1,549|6642

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Title says 7500, which I would have told you is a fucking shitty cooler.
I have the 9500 and could not be happier.  Next time do your research.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6632|Mhz

I said the 7500 was shit... try reading...
The#1Spot
+105|6551|byah
i think its not a good idea in its self to buy a heat sink with a fan permanently attached.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6718|67.222.138.85
https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g44/Flaming_Maniac/zalman.jpg

noob
Reciprocity
+721|6592|the dank(super) side of Oregon
yep, 7500 was not the best design.  didn't know the still sold them.
smartdude992
Keep your head down, smart's got a gun
+30|5943|Georgia, US of A
wow, i got the 9700 with the BLUE LED, I PWN!!!!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6661

TH did a heatsink shootout recently, the 7500 was one of the worst there, and they had some shitty excuses for coolers with it.
Volatile
+252|6716|Sextupling in Empire

That style of cooler from Zalman fails multiple times on the new cpu charts on tomshardware.com.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/26/ … page5.html
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/Volatile_Squirrel/coolercharts2008_71838.jpg

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/20/ … page5.html
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/Volatile_Squirrel/_76040.jpg

Why the hell didn't you go with their good cooler that EVERYONE knows about?
jaymz9350
+54|6589

Freezer7Pro wrote:

For shame, Zalman, for shame.
It's not their fault you bought a cooler designed for older chips.  It worked very well on old socket A processors but not todays.  Just because it's brand new doesn't mean anything either, that heatsink has been around for quite a while and has been replaced by the 9500 and 9700 which cool much better.  One big thing you should notice is the lack of heatpipes which should be a big warning to you that it doesn't have the colling capacity of todays better heatsinks.
.Sup
be nice
Why buy a cooler that fails on tests? Or you didn't read the reviews?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6209|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Why buy a cooler that fails on tests? Or you didn't read the reviews?
A mate has got one, and he said it was a fine cooler. He's kinda tech-savy and an overclocker, so I didn't bother reading more. Gonna see if I can return it and get a CNPS 9*00.

Curses.
']['error
Banned
+630|6656|The Netherlands
for €57 you can get an scythe infinity, zalman 9700 or even an thermaltake Thermalright Ultra-120 here in the netherlands

Last edited by ']['error (2008-03-04 23:44:12)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6335|New Haven, CT
Or you could have gone the intelligent way and just bought another Freezer 7 Pro.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6209|Winland

']['error wrote:

for €57 you can get an scythe infinity, zalman 9700 or even an thermaltake Thermalright Ultra-120 here in the netherlands
Yeah, I'm propably getting a CNPS9700 if i get it returned. i'm in contact with the store, and it looks pretty bright. I'd love to get a 120mm cooler, but they don't sell it there. x.X And as you might remember, it's the only store that I can order from.

nukchebi0 wrote:

Or you could have gone the intelligent way and just bought another Freezer 7 Pro.
They don't sell them, and I want something with a LED this time.
ChillieD0g
+7|4452|Tennessee USA
I may be a noob on these forums  but i found this discussion on google because i was finding out more info on this cooler...i bought 7500 because 1. it is hard to find a cooler that has a 3 pin ...because at the time i had a 9900 max zalman but it was a 4 pin an someone told me that i can still make the 4 pin connector connect to the 3 pin on the motherboard but the down side from that was A. the led diden light up B. it has put a short in the 3 pin plug on my motherboard  and hopefully it will cool alot better than the cooler i have on it now because i had to put an old stock cooler on it til the 7500 gets here and my AMD x4 975 doesnt like this  ...it is very hard to find heatsinks with a 3 pin ...not all of us likes intel .. i still support AMD
What comes around,Goes around
gurdeep
­
+812|4767|proll­y
mmmm chili dogs
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6787|Moscow, Russia
i have both 9700 and 7500, and both performing okay. the "permanently attached fan" comment is valid though - it's not so "permanent" as it might seem, but to have another - pwm-controlled - fan installed on the 7500, i had to ask my brother, who's a professional metal worker, to manufacture me a special fixture. but, beside that, i have no complaints whatsoever.

Last edited by Shahter (2012-03-01 07:57:17)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
ChillieD0g
+7|4452|Tennessee USA

gurdeep wrote:

mmmm chili dogs
XD yes i know look good ...any who ..back to the subject
ChillieD0g
+7|4452|Tennessee USA

Shahter wrote:

i have both 9700 and 7500, and both performing okay. the "permanently attached fan" comment is valid though - it's not so "permanent" as it might seem, but to have another - pwm-controlled - fan installed on the 7500, i had to ask my brother, who's a professional metal worker, to manufacture me a special fixture. but, beside that, i have no complaints whatsoever.
An what perhaps is behind your 7500 ? ..meaning what processor are u cooling with the 7500

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard