blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6668
https://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/images/2008/02/25/bigfish.jpg

Now, University of Chicago anatomist, Neil Shubin, has provided the world with an explanation in his book Your Inner Fish. As described in the Guardian:

Hiccups are triggered by electric signals generated in the brain stem. Amphibian brain stems emit similar signals, which control the regular motion of their gills. Our brain stems, inherited from amphibian ancestors, still spurt out odd signals producing hiccups that are, according to Shubin, essentially the same phenomenon as gill breathing.

This is atavism, or evolutionary throwback activity, at work. Luckily, you do eventually stop trying to breathe through your gills when it dawns on your brain that you are actually a modern human, not a prehistoric fish.

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008 … expla.html
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6672
lol finally I know. +1
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6588|Area 51
Lulz, so my brain thinks I am a fish?
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6548|South Florida
Very, Very cool!

Another thing in the favor of Evolution > Religion
15 more years! 15 more years!
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5997|England

mint
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6644|London, England
That's awesome, if it's true. I'll remember to slap myself and say out loud "NO. HUMAN, NOT FISH, M8" of I start to hiccup.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6590|NYC / Hamburg

I always though that it was some sort of breathing exercise for unborn babies
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6668

Mek-Izzle wrote:

That's awesome, if it's true. I'll remember to slap myself and say out loud "NO. HUMAN, NOT FISH, M8" of I start to hiccup.
hahha
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6650|UK
That doesn't explain what causes them to occur though. Why do they seem to occur after eating?

In fact, I'm fairly sure that this is wrong. Are they not caused by some sort of irritation to the diaphragm?
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6761|The Hague, Netherlands

wasn't it when you ate too fast?

can't really believe that it is because of this fish thing imho.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
Alone+EasyTarget
+38|6380|From: From: From:
now i realise why i can only remember the last 4 seconds

Last edited by Alone+EasyTarget (2008-02-26 11:03:31)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6713|Tampa Bay Florida
Bullshit.  We all know evolution isn't real.  Its an anti-religious conspiracy generated by godless scientists, and has no science whatsoever supporting it.  I mean, it IS called the "theory" of evolution, after all.  You people need to wake the fuck up, god made us have hiccups to expel our sins and witchcraft magic.
heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6411|New York

liquidat0r wrote:

That doesn't explain what causes them to occur though. Why do they seem to occur after eating?

In fact, I'm fairly sure that this is wrong. Are they not caused by some sort of irritation to the diaphragm?
Agreed, that answers the 'How' but not the 'Why' (maybe).

Last edited by heggs (2008-02-26 11:08:51)

Remember Me As A Time Of Day
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6590|NYC / Hamburg

Spearhead wrote:

Bullshit.  We all know evolution isn't real.  Its an anti-religious conspiracy generated by godless scientists, and has no science whatsoever supporting it.  I mean, it IS called the "theory" of evolution, after all.  You people need to wake the fuck up, god made us have hiccups to expel our sins and witchcraft magic.

+1
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6713|Tampa Bay Florida
I dont think you people realize that there's no such thing as karma.  Chuy is questioning the lord.  BF2s is becoming more anti-Christian every day.  Buddhism is bullshit.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6755|St. Andrews / Oslo

Spearhead wrote:

I dont think you people realize that there's no such thing as karma.  Chuy is questioning the lord.  BF2s is becoming more anti-Christian every day.  Buddhism is bullshit.
Too far.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6655|949

Want to know another aspect of atavism?  When chicks shake their asses when they walk.  It is an evolutionary trait aimed at increasing male sexual stimulation, to induce mating.

I just made that up.
^*AlphA*^
F*ckers
+3,135|6761|The Hague, Netherlands

Spearhead wrote:

to talk more about shit

why do we always have to shit when we're nervous, then you have less weight and you can run away faster from predators.

can't really see myself sitting down first tho when a lion is coming near.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36eac2cb6af70a43508fd8d1c93d3201f4e23435.png
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6404|the land of bourbon

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

to talk more about shit

why do we always have to shit when we're nervous, then you have less weight and you can run away faster from predators.

and i bet its even harder to shit while running... good question...
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
CoconutBlitz
I've had the diarrheas since Easters
+145|6612|California U.S.A

^*AlphA*^ wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

to talk more about shit

Yeah that's definitely shitting on the run time.

It's kinda like dropping flares. Trying to break the lock of the carnivore on your ass

Last edited by CoconutBlitz (2008-02-26 11:23:23)

Brasso
+1,549|6653

I thought we hiccup because the diaphragm is folded up or something.

liquidat0r wrote:

Are they not caused by some sort of irritation to the diaphragm?
edit: hey look

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-02-26 11:49:05)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
AnaalDuck
Lfc Are Crap
+14|6500|Liverpool, England

RDMC wrote:

Lulz, so my brain thinks I am a fish?
LMFAO
aimless
+166|6148|Texas

Aapje wrote:

I always have known I evolved from Magikarp..
...into the unstoppable rape-machine known as Gyrados.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6677

Our inner fish? What?

I thought we hiccuped because our diaphragm got out-of-sync with our breathing or something. Nothing to do with electric signals.
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6155|Carnoustie, Scotland
I'm pretty sure it was proved to be caused by irregular breathing, but I'd much rather believe this.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard