Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6628|London, England

Marlboroman82 wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

^ I bet the acoustics are good.

I'd love a home recording studio
it came with the house, i don't know what i am going to do with it.
Turn it into a home cinema

With a bigger tree
voodoodolphins
+92|6710

Kmarion wrote:

voodoodolphins wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

What listening mode do you guys usually listen to movies in? It varies by movie for me but if the disc has DTS-HD M/A I usually go with that.
well duh...of course you would chose that, you got a Onkyo TX-SR 805 which supports that format...not many receivers do that you know...What I dont get is that you spent so much on a onkyo and then got speakers like that???? why not get some good one which your onkyo could use to the max...or are you happy with the way it is now??? It is of course not bad speakers your receiver is just overkill compared to them.
It's overkill as it is right now for the room it's in. The receiver has three different zones. Running 2 or 3 multiple zones at the same time takes power. It's not all about how much juice you can squeeze into one room. wow..lol. Nor do you ever play a receiver at it's max, that's why they have a rated power spec.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ … _and_specs are very good speakers for the price. I'd rather spend 1400 dollars on speakers and upgrade them later than get a receiver that I wasn't happy with. Those speakers actually compliment it very well at the moment.

This is the problem with talking about this stuff over the internet. You have to see and hear it to understand. You said the sony xbr series has a poor picture quality? I have lot's of friends who are audiophiles/theater buffs who come over to my house to stare in disbelief and ask me why it looks so real. You rarely see these TV's setup and calibrated the proper way in stores. My only regret with my setup is the BD player.. it's slow .
Well I have actually seen your tv ISF calibrated and of course it looks good when we talk high def, but then again most tv do that. Analog signal is something else and your tv did okay but fare from good. If you got digital signal it of course helps but LCD still do a crap work with analog and digital signals IMO compared to plasma. I am guessing the friends you had over saw it with some kind of HD material on? Don't get me wrong when I say it has a poor PQ, it of course has better PQ then most other LCD, but if you are going to pay that much why not get something that is better, that is my point about your tv. You mentioned 18000:1 was the reason I don't get that because if your tv is ISF calibrated much of the of fancy settings which is use to reach that ratio (which it of course never does) is turned off. But what about black level you satisfied about that?

Regarding your speakers when I say MAX i don't mean you shall play for full blast, I mean get all out of them that you can quality wise. I see your point in the fact that you have multiple zones (didn't even consider that you had that lol) and that of course justifies it a bit more. But I will still say that your speakers ain't optimal for your receiver, and again, I don't mean playing full blast. but then again you do mention that yourself.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6782|Noizyland

I, which is to say my folks have a Bose system, couldn't tell you the specifics 'cause I don't know. That's hooked up to a Panasonic projector which projects a 2m wide screen onto the wall. Again I don't know the specifics, I just know it's awesome and a major reason I haven't gone flatting yet.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
xxCaptainBlackxx
♥♦♣♠♥♦♣
+47|6651|internet
Bf2 on 32 inch TV
old pic i didnt know that time how to change resolution more than 1024x768

https://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/Dima33/bf2helitc.jpg

https://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/Dima33/tvdeskpc.jpg
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6204|Winland

https://i25.tinypic.com/2a8jl3s.png

This made me lol.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6817|Nårvei

Pioneer 43" Plasma
Pioneer 2016 Receiver
Pioneer 868 DVD player
JBL Northridge series 5 speakers + 250W sub
HDTV decoder

Edit: 43" not 42"

Last edited by Varegg (2008-02-06 08:40:07)

Wait behind the line ..............................................................
SealXo
+309|6543
46' toshiba LCD
HP DV6000 laptop
wireless mouse and keyboard
=epix

need to get sound system!!! ):
voodoodolphins
+92|6710

Varegg wrote:

Pioneer 42" Plasma
Pioneer 2016 Receiver
Pioneer 868 DVD player
HDTV decoder
uh uh uh which model is your TV?
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6449|Stealth City, UK
Just a quick question for you AV fans.....is Denon a good brand to get?
HudsonFalcon
+20|5938|New York

Marlboroman82 wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

^ I bet the acoustics are good.

I'd love a home recording studio
it came with the house, i don't know what i am going to do with it.
I'm not sure what the demand is in your area but you could rent it out to local musicians and supplement your income a bit.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6817|Nårvei

voodoodolphins wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Pioneer 42" Plasma
Pioneer 2016 Receiver
Pioneer 868 DVD player
HDTV decoder
uh uh uh which model is your TV?
PDP-436XDE ... so it's 43" not 42" as listed above

Last edited by Varegg (2008-02-06 08:41:01)

Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6532|South Florida
in our old house, before we were forced to move, my dad build a home movie theater, it had movie theater seats, a screen (i think 120" wide), a projector,  some nice speakers. It was sweet. A lot of fun. We're gunna build it again someday, we still have the projectors, seats, and screen.

Sometimes we set it up in the living room for movie night it pwnz.
15 more years! 15 more years!
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6460|The Twilight Zone

Freezer7Pro wrote:

http://i25.tinypic.com/2a8jl3s.png

This made me lol.
I want those balls of steel.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6532|South Florida

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

http://i25.tinypic.com/2a8jl3s.png

This made me lol.
I want those balls of steel.
Oh hey, the put an ad out describing my testicals. cool.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

voodoodolphins wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

voodoodolphins wrote:

well duh...of course you would chose that, you got a Onkyo TX-SR 805 which supports that format...not many receivers do that you know...What I dont get is that you spent so much on a onkyo and then got speakers like that???? why not get some good one which your onkyo could use to the max...or are you happy with the way it is now??? It is of course not bad speakers your receiver is just overkill compared to them.
It's overkill as it is right now for the room it's in. The receiver has three different zones. Running 2 or 3 multiple zones at the same time takes power. It's not all about how much juice you can squeeze into one room. wow..lol. Nor do you ever play a receiver at it's max, that's why they have a rated power spec.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ … _and_specs are very good speakers for the price. I'd rather spend 1400 dollars on speakers and upgrade them later than get a receiver that I wasn't happy with. Those speakers actually compliment it very well at the moment.

This is the problem with talking about this stuff over the internet. You have to see and hear it to understand. You said the sony xbr series has a poor picture quality? I have lot's of friends who are audiophiles/theater buffs who come over to my house to stare in disbelief and ask me why it looks so real. You rarely see these TV's setup and calibrated the proper way in stores. My only regret with my setup is the BD player.. it's slow .
Well I have actually seen your tv ISF calibrated and of course it looks good when we talk high def, but then again most tv do that. Analog signal is something else and your tv did okay but fare from good. If you got digital signal it of course helps but LCD still do a crap work with analog and digital signals IMO compared to plasma. I am guessing the friends you had over saw it with some kind of HD material on? Don't get me wrong when I say it has a poor PQ, it of course has better PQ then most other LCD, but if you are going to pay that much why not get something that is better, that is my point about your tv. You mentioned 18000:1 was the reason I don't get that because if your tv is ISF calibrated much of the of fancy settings which is use to reach that ratio (which it of course never does) is turned off. But what about black level you satisfied about that?

Regarding your speakers when I say MAX i don't mean you shall play for full blast, I mean get all out of them that you can quality wise. I see your point in the fact that you have multiple zones (didn't even consider that you had that lol) and that of course justifies it a bit more. But I will still say that your speakers ain't optimal for your receiver, and again, I don't mean playing full blast. but then again you do mention that yourself.
My TV looks much better than other TV's in High def. It's not just a matter of resolution. My friends all have high def panel TV's. The picture really "pops". The reason people switched from the older plasmas to the newer LCD's is because they had such a lower contrast ratio. They were noticeably washed out in comparison. Plasmas have caught back up recently. But they usually cost much more for an equivalent LCD contrast level.

When the TV is calibrated it doesn't kill the contrast ratio. It more accurately matches the color with broadcast signals. This isn't much of an issue for me when I watch movies on my BD player. With the x.v. color matching it's pretty accurate. Of course both the TV and player needs to support it. You can also really see the difference when it is playing at 24 frames. The motion is much smoother. That is the frame rate pictures are shot in. Most people who watch a movie at 24 frames know something is up but they can't quite identify why it looks better. They have trained their eyes to look at an unnatural frame rate. I can agree that analog signals aren't so great with LCD's, but all of my channels are digital. Nearly all of them are in HD (comedy central is the only one that I watch that isn't.) I am fine with the black levels. Samsung has got a TV out now that is extremely impressive in this area. They have the ability to completely turn off pixels when the tv is on. This eliminates the flourecent glow that all panel TV's have.

The receiver had features that I wanted aside from just great sound quality. The plan was (since I purchased everything at once) was to get the core equipment and some decent speakers. The polk TCi series are decent in ceiling speakers. I am spending next weekend in my attic wiring my bedroom,garage,kitchen, bathroom, and back porch. Fun.. fun. New house means spending lot's of money aside from home theater equipment . I still have rooms without furniture..lol  I like my toys though, and I'm sure I will upgrade them at some point. But to be honest the sound right now insane, it's tough to even imagine much more. At least to justify spending $500+ per speaker.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6639

WHY HAVE I never SEEN THIS THREAD?
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6204|Winland

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6507|so randum
720w sony surround system
17" flatron
with xbox, pc, spare line hooked up

as far as sound for my halls go, its A+++ OVERKILL
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6639

https://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z298/Dhanjal1/DSC00471.jpg
Stimey
­
+786|6127|Ontario | Canada
Look at that CAWZMESS.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6639

Iknorite
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6574|NYC / Hamburg

https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/nigelf/computer/PYP/IMG_2203_1944x1296.jpg

https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h297/nigelf/computer/PYP/IMG_2207_1944x1296.jpg

Not sure why I have a 360 controller there. I don't even know anyone with a xbox
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6146|New Jersey
I that the Onkyo HT-S5100 7.1 Channel Home Theater A/V receiver?  I just bought that home theater for my new Sharp Aquos 52" TV.  Kinda pisses me off that the receiver is just HDMI pass-through though.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6574|NYC / Hamburg

TR-SX576

How is HDMI pass though a bad thing? I'm a little shaky on the home theater definitions, so maybe I've got wrong idea what pass though is ...
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6146|New Jersey
Pass-through means it can't decode HDMI audio.  For example, I can't just hook up my Tivo to the receiver with an HDMI cable and get sound through the speakers hooked up to the receiver.  Instead, the receiver would "pass-through" the HDMI audio signal to the TV.  Meaning I have to buy coaxial or optical cables for my Tivo and PS3 if I want to use the home theater speakers instead of the built-in TV speakers.

This sucks because a) you have to buy extra cables to use speakers that are hooked up to the receiver and b) you won't be able to use the high quality Blu Ray audio codecs that are only available through an HDMI connection.

Only the more expensive receivers can decode the HDMI audio.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard