blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6680
WASHINGTON -- An already relentless melting of the Arctic greatly accelerated this summer, a warning sign that some scientists worry could mean global warming has passed an ominous tipping point. One even speculated that summer sea ice would be gone in five years.Greenland's ice sheet melted nearly 19 billion tons more than the previous high mark, and the volume of Arctic sea ice at summer's end was half what it was just four years earlier, according to new NASA satellite data obtained by The Associated Press.

Just last year, two top scientists surprised their colleagues by projecting that the Arctic sea ice was melting so rapidly that it could disappear entirely by the summer of 2040.Last week, after reviewing his own new data, NASA climate scientist Jay Zwally said: "At this rate, the Arctic Ocean could be nearly ice-free at the end of summer by 2012, much faster than previous predictions."

"The Arctic is often cited as the canary in the coal mine for climate warming," Zwally said. "Now as a sign of climate warming, the canary has died."

The burning of coal, oil and other fossil fuels produces carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases responsible for man-made global warming. For the past several days, government diplomats have been debating in Bali, Indonesia, the outlines of a new climate treaty calling for tougher limits on these gases.What happens in the Arctic has worldwide implications. Faster melting there means eventual sea level rise and more immediate changes in winter weather because of less sea ice.In the United States, a weakened Arctic blast moving south to collide with moist air from the Gulf of Mexico can mean less rain and snow in some areas, including the drought-stricken Southeast, said Michael MacCracken, a former federal climate scientist who heads the nonprofit Climate Institute.

"This year the change is so big, particularly in the Arctic sea ice, that you've got to stop and say, 'What is going on here?' You can't look away from what's happening here," said Waleed Abdalati, NASA's chief of cyrospheric sciences. "This is going to be a watershed year."

2007 shattered records for Arctic melt:

• 552 billion tons of ice melted this summer from the Greenland ice sheet, preliminary satellite data released by NASA show. That's 15 percent more than the annual average summer melt, beating 2005's record.

• A record amount of surface ice was lost over Greenland this year, 12 percent more than the previous worst year, 2005, according to data from the University of Colorado. That volume of water could cover Washington, D.C., a half-mile deep, researchers calculated.

• The surface area of summer sea ice floating in the Arctic Ocean this summer was nearly 23 percent below the previous record. The dwindling sea ice already has affected wildlife, with 6,000 walruses coming ashore in northwest Alaska in October for the first time in recorded history.

White sea ice reflects about 80 percent of the sun's heat off Earth, Zwally said. When there is no sea ice, about 90 percent of the heat goes into the ocean. Warmer oceans then lead to more melting.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a … -1/LOCAL17

We fooked but how many of you will remain here by 2012-2013 on bf2s.com?not many, many of you will be screaming help me help

Last edited by blademaster (2007-12-16 11:04:33)

rambo43
Banned
+35|6258
false propoganda tbhthxbai
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6680

rambo43 wrote:

sure lad keep thinking that
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6777|FUCK UBISOFT

rambo43 wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
rambo43
Banned
+35|6258
600 million years ago it was 22 degrees. Then around 450 million years ago it dipped down to 12 degrees, only to go back up to 22 degrees 400 million years ago. Then 300 million years ago it dipped back down to 12 degrees only to shoot right back up to 22 degrees around 200 million years ago. So in reality, we are much colder in temperature than we have been in the past 200 million years. During the time dinosaurs walked the earth, the temperature was an average of 10 degrees Celsius higher.
SgtSlutter
Banned
+550|6673|Amsterdam, NY

Miguel diaz wrote:

rambo43 wrote:

DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6499|cuntshitlake

rambo43 wrote:

600 million years ago it was 22 degrees. Then around 450 million years ago it dipped down to 12 degrees, only to go back up to 22 degrees 400 million years ago. Then 300 million years ago it dipped back down to 12 degrees only to shoot right back up to 22 degrees around 200 million years ago. So in reality, we are much colder in temperature than we have been in the past 200 million years. During the time dinosaurs walked the earth, the temperature was an average of 10 degrees Celsius higher.
Yeah. Facts are the thing Global Warming enthusiasts don't provide.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6666|Washington, DC

I posted this before and nobody seemed to notice it so I'll post it again:

Regardless of whether global warming "is happening" or not, shouldn't we invest in better, more efficient, cleaner energy sources?
suomalainen_äijä
+64|6201
Mayans predicted that the world will end in 2012, this is it?
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6680

Miguel diaz wrote:

rambo43 wrote:

sure keep thinking that
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6680

suomalainen_äijä wrote:

yeah so it could be true hmm if not end at least big flood

Mayans were not the only ones who predicted this bunch of other people said this 2.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6777|FUCK UBISOFT

blademaster wrote:

WASHINGTON -- An already relentless melting of the Arctic greatly accelerated this summer, a warning sign that some scientists worry could mean global warming has passed an ominous tipping point. One even speculated that summer sea ice would be gone in five years.Greenland's ice sheet melted nearly 19 billion tons more than the previous high mark, and the volume of Arctic sea ice at summer's end was half what it was just four years earlier, according to new NASA satellite data obtained by The Associated Press.

Just last year, two top scientists surprised their colleagues by projecting that the Arctic sea ice was melting so rapidly that it could disappear entirely by the summer of 2040.Last week, after reviewing his own new data, NASA climate scientist Jay Zwally said: "At this rate, the Arctic Ocean could be nearly ice-free at the end of summer by 2012, much faster than previous predictions."

"The Arctic is often cited as the canary in the coal mine for climate warming," Zwally said. "Now as a sign of climate warming, the canary has died."

The burning of coal, oil and other fossil fuels produces carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases responsible for man-made global warming. For the past several days, government diplomats have been debating in Bali, Indonesia, the outlines of a new climate treaty calling for tougher limits on these gases.What happens in the Arctic has worldwide implications. Faster melting there means eventual sea level rise and more immediate changes in winter weather because of less sea ice.In the United States, a weakened Arctic blast moving south to collide with moist air from the Gulf of Mexico can mean less rain and snow in some areas, including the drought-stricken Southeast, said Michael MacCracken, a former federal climate scientist who heads the nonprofit Climate Institute.

"This year the change is so big, particularly in the Arctic sea ice, that you've got to stop and say, 'What is going on here?' You can't look away from what's happening here," said Waleed Abdalati, NASA's chief of cyrospheric sciences. "This is going to be a watershed year."

2007 shattered records for Arctic melt:

• 552 billion tons of ice melted this summer from the Greenland ice sheet, preliminary satellite data released by NASA show. That's 15 percent more than the annual average summer melt, beating 2005's record.

• A record amount of surface ice was lost over Greenland this year, 12 percent more than the previous worst year, 2005, according to data from the University of Colorado. That volume of water could cover Washington, D.C., a half-mile deep, researchers calculated.

• The surface area of summer sea ice floating in the Arctic Ocean this summer was nearly 23 percent below the previous record. The dwindling sea ice already has affected wildlife, with 6,000 walruses coming ashore in northwest Alaska in October for the first time in recorded history.

White sea ice reflects about 80 percent of the sun's heat off Earth, Zwally said. When there is no sea ice, about 90 percent of the heat goes into the ocean. Warmer oceans then lead to more melting.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a … -1/LOCAL17

We fooked but how many of you will remain here by 2012-2013 on bf2s.com?not many, many of you will be screaming help me help
sure keep thinking that
SgtSlutter
Banned
+550|6673|Amsterdam, NY

suomalainen_äijä wrote:

I'm really starting too get annonyed by people saying that..........nothing is going to happen on December 20, 2012

Last edited by SgtSlauther (2007-12-16 11:24:08)

ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6557

Hurricane wrote:

I posted this before and nobody seemed to notice it so I'll post it again:

Regardless of whether global warming "is happening" or not, shouldn't we invest in better, more efficient, cleaner energy sources?
yes
BolvisOculus
Spagett!
+167|6654|Manitowoc, WI

suomalainen_äijä wrote:

No, they fucking didn't.  The current age will end, not the world.  It's like the end of the year, but on a rally big scale.  I'm really sick of people saying the end of the world is going to be 2012 based on the Mayans.

SgtSlauther wrote:

I'm really starting too get annonyed by people saying that..........nothing is going to happen on December 20, 2012
Thank you.

Last edited by BolvisOculus (2007-12-16 11:28:07)

blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6680

SgtSlauther wrote:

suomalainen_äijä wrote:

well we didnt say December 20 or whatever could be 2013 or 2012 Global warming I didnt say the world was gonna end by maybe a lot of floods and shit from all the melted ice.

and Miguel diaz we both will keep thinking and we will see who turns out to be right hopefully you'll be here on this site by 2013

Last edited by blademaster (2007-12-16 11:28:22)

']['error
Banned
+630|6679|The Netherlands
O to the noez!
Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6582|Canada

rambo43 wrote:

Good point, because 'they' want everyone to believe in global warming so that...why is it they would make this up?  Help me out here.  Is Gore selling anti-global warming packages and making billions or something?
weerdfoo1
Banned
+26|6200|California

SgtSlauther wrote:

suomalainen_äijä wrote:

Right, nothing is going to happen 2012.

I hate that crap, people always saying the world is going to end that year.  Just because the Mayan "calendar" ends in 2012 doesn't mean anything.
Sylvanis
+13|6671|Toronto, Ontario
If you don't put any stock in global warming, then have a look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORv8wwiadQ
Why risk it?
rambo43
Banned
+35|6258

Point&Shoot wrote:

rambo43 wrote:

Good point, because 'they' want everyone to believe in global warming so that...why is it they would make this up?  Help me out here.  Is Gore selling anti-global warming packages and making billions or something?
Nope, but the attention whore is getting exactly what he wants.... attention
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6612|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
Well if this is true...yup we fucked up...and if this is false...well...we are fucking up slowly
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6034|...
Mayans never predicted the end of the world on 2012, they predicted the end of a huge, huge cycle. and each cycle is combined with a "Kathun", these were messages the prophet Kathun left them which would occur on each end of a cycle (according to the mayans, kathun was a gifted man and his verses are actually arguably accurate on the cycles they were put) So basically, some sort of event should occur in 2012 according to the mayans, but NOT the end of the world.

The mayan calendar is actually 3 big calendars ( <- this works, mayans were extremely good at maths and astrology providing them with needed information making this calendar more complete & accurate than ours.) in one. with each cycle (a period of time on the calendar) fit with a Kathun verse pinpointing ' special events ' in past & future.

(Note: I'm not sure wether it's spelled Kathun, I just heard the name in that pronounciation.)

On topic; Global warming is a fact, humanity has influence in it but not too much, it depends on a multitude of things ranging from earth cycles, to sunspot activity, to our influence and back and forth. But anyway, that doesn't say we can't do anything against it ; we can slow it down by stopping the emittion of all our poo stuff. (which we probably won't do anyway so yeah, we're pretty much going into ' different ' times.)

Last edited by dayarath (2007-12-16 12:11:01)

inane little opines
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6777|FUCK UBISOFT

blademaster wrote:

SgtSlauther wrote:

suomalainen_äijä wrote:

well we didnt say December 20 or whatever could be 2013 or 2012 Global warming I didnt say the world was gonna end by maybe a lot of floods and shit from all the melted ice.

and Miguel diaz we both will keep thinking and we will see who turns out to be right hopefully you'll be here on this site by 2013
i'm planning on it.
Master*
Banned
+416|6530|United States

weerdfoo1 wrote:

SgtSlauther wrote:

suomalainen_äijä wrote:

Right, nothing is going to happen 2012.

I hate that crap, people always saying the world is going to end that year.  Just because the Mayan "calendar" ends in 2012 doesn't mean anything.
makes sense though

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard