Protecus
Prophet of Certain Certainties
+28|6543
So, lately, I've been bitten by the gun bug.

Went shooting with a friend and I've come to the realization that, to be truly happy in life, I need a shotgun. That, and it wouldn't hurt in home defense.

Anyway, I've been casually looking and so far a, looking at the Remington 870 Express and the New England Pardner.
Personally, I prefer the American made Remington, but I'm looking at a $200-$300 budget.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Mostly looking at 12 gauge unless something else catches my eye

Last edited by Protecus (2007-07-11 16:59:07)

RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6502|Somewhere else

Gunbroker.com
ProRacerNorm
+6|6621
Stoger
I have the Semi 2000 and it is great...Benelli bought them because they were making better guns ha

Last edited by ProRacerNorm (2007-07-11 16:58:33)

Protecus
+28|6543

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Gunbroker.com
huh, didn't know you could have an  online gun auction like that. Figured if you could, ebay would be all over it.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6742|California

Mossberg 500
hate&discontent
USMC 0311 SEMPER FI
+69|6410|USA, MICHIGAN
i have a rem 870 Marine Magnum, and i truly love it!!!
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6645|Camp XRay

stryyker wrote:

Mossberg 500
super black eagle - http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/sbe2.tpl

shoots 3 1/2 shells, works well for birds, ducks, turkey, and when stryyker comes at you with a knife.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
travisb05
bullseye (+)
+58|6721|U.S

stryyker wrote:

Mossberg 500
very good gun that is what I have and have shot many pheasants with it .
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6786|Dallas
Get a Protecta Street Sweeper. 

Better known as the DAO-12.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6590|Mountains of NC

Auctionarms.com

I have a Remingotn 870 Police Magnum 12 gauage for sale
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
kajukenbo_kid
+36|6437|...

Cougar wrote:

Get a Protecta Street Sweeper. 

Better known as the DAO-12.
Amen, but if your looking for something for home defense it's not a bad idea.  Personally I'd throw a sraw in there and call it a deal.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6485|cuntshitlake

Clark SG
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Protecus
+28|6543

SEREMAKER wrote:

Auctionarms.com

I have a Remingotn 870 Police Magnum 12 gauage for sale
Whats the number?

Last edited by Protecus (2007-07-12 13:13:49)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6490
Mk3a1
Volatile
+252|6726|Sextupling in Empire

Benelli m4/m1. I want one of these, but i'm not willing to spend over a grand for one.

Dur, I missed the budget part.

Last edited by Volatile_Squirrel (2007-07-12 13:29:05)

Protecus
+28|6543
Update:

I've been snooping around, and the Benelli Nova looks pretty good.

Any thoughts?
sexecuti0ner
What kinda guy are you are?
+148|6254
My uncle (coincidentally, also an engineer) has had a Nova for the past 7 years or so and hasn't ever had a problem with it.  On the other hand, my dad has had his Remington 870 since the mid 1970's and it's still his favorite when we go hunting.  As far as I know, they are both very reliable as long as you take good care of them.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6736|US
Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 are great shotguns.  Either one would be a good choice.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6416|The Gem Saloon
really the guys that have been saying the mossberg 500 are right on.....for the money it is a DAMN good gun.
for home defense i have the mossberg 500C 20 ga pistol grip pump action.
$324 after tax.

all the upgrades available make these pretty easy to customize to each individual.

good luck and make sure you let us know what you wind up with.
ts-pulsar
+54|6524
870 is a good choice, it's probably the best made pump shotgun on the market as far as reliability goes that has actually been produced consistantly for the past 50 years.  The Ithica 37 is probably the best pump shotgun around, but the company can't stay in business for some reason.

One of the better things about the 870 is that it shoulders perfectly for just about everyone, that means when you put it on your shoulder the sites are lined up.  A good way to test this is to close your eyes, shoulder the gun and then open them, if you have to move your head or the gun to get the sites to line up it means you will have trouble shooting skeet or trap, or birds if your hunting.  The Remington shotguns (the double barrels and semi-autos included) all seem to shoulder well for most people.

Don't forget that the 870 also has loads of aftermarket parts that can be added to make the gun into anything you want.

And I hate to burst bubbles, but the Mossberg 500 is POS.  The only thing good i have to say about it is that it's cheap to fix when it breaks, which it will do.  Mossberg has never produced a quality firearm, I say this as a gunsmith who is fixing these pieces of crap on a daily basis.

Of course, remington only has a couple guns worth owning too, the 700 is one of the best bolt rifles around, but it's the only good rifle Remington seems to be able to pump out.  And their shotguns are pretty damn good.  Especially the Remington 11/87, when I was working at a Remington warranty center that gun was hardly ever in, and if it was in, it was only because people were shooting too powerful of ammo for the gun.
TGMaverick
+16|6252
I had an 870 Wingmaster (beautiful gun) but didn't shoot very well.  I bet it jammed on me at least a dozen times in the 3 years that I owned it.  I tried all different brands of shotshells - the thing just wouldn't eject the shell cleanly.

I wound up trading it in for a Remington 11-87 - best move I ever made.
ts-pulsar
+54|6524

Protecus wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Gunbroker.com
huh, didn't know you could have an  online gun auction like that. Figured if you could, ebay would be all over it.
Ebay is a very anti gun company.  Paypal, which is owned by ebay, will actually cancel your account if they find out you've been using paypal to buy firearms or firearms related stuff.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6590|Mountains of NC

Heres my Remington that I'm looking to sell
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/SEREMAKER/guns011.jpg

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/SEREMAKER/guns010.jpg

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/SEREMAKER/guns009.jpg

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/SEREMAKER/guns012.jpg

I've had this one for awhile and I love the 870, it will take either 2 1/2" or 3" shells --- the only reason I'm selling this and many more is bc I am getting ready to build my house {and I have another tactical 870 that I'm keeping}
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
d3athwi5h4
insert clever title here
+59|6535|Kickapoo
I would suggest getting the 870 combo.  It comes with 2 barrels, a rifled slug and a vent rib.  So you are getting two guns for the money.  I can speak from experience that the 870 with the slug barrel is a deer killing machine.  If you get a decent scope and spend the time sighting it in and finding the slugs that shoot best out of your gun (mine likes lightfields) you can't hardly miss up to 90-100 yards.  With the field barrel it is a bad ass bird/rabbit gun.  I also have a Ithaca model 51.  It is a semi-auto and is just flat out a devastating bird gun.  Semi-autos are nice if you shoot a lot because they "kick" less.    If you want simplicity and are just getting into guns and want something easy to keep clean and easy to manage look into a NEF/H&R single shot.  I had an H&R Ultra Slug it was a tack driver. It had beautiful furniture and was built like a tank, but was as heavy as one too.  Good luck on your purchase, and congrats on becoming a gun owner.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6401|MN
I have shot the 870, Nova, and 500. 

If you are lager frame I like the Nova, light for its size, and very natural shooting for me. 

870 been around forever, the one I own.  Never jammed, ever.  But My next one will probably be the Nova.  It looks sexy too.

Shot the 500 in the military, hated it, but it was a military gun.  They get beaten up pretty bad.  They also had a reputation of firing when dropped.  Never liked the safety on top like that.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard