Microwave
_
+515|6657|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK

leetkyle wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

Does anyone know to a point of near certainty whether you can use dx10 on xp?

I've heard both spoken as if they are the absolute truth....
Man, read the post above you!
I did....!

I only asked again because I have heard the other 'theory' proffessed with such conviction!

(wow that sounded good! )
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6496|N. Ireland
Fair enough! Editted first post, very top line for clear indication just incase people don't actually realize.

james@alienware wrote:

I only asked again because I have heard the other 'theory' proffessed with such conviction!
(wow that sounded good! )
The#1Spot
+105|6542|byah
Jeez I have been waiting for the 8800gts 320mb to go down for so long I did not even notice that ati came out with a xtxtxx2900xxx. O well im waiting for the (8800gs or 8900gs?) to come out anyways.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6719

Zimmer wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

What's the difference between single and SLI? Also good info.
Also does DX10 work on XP at all, or do you definately need Vista.
Yes it will work with XP fine. Just that Vista has already been integrated with DX10, so it will work BETTER with Vista. But you shouldn't worry about that.
DX10 won't be comming on XP... Microsoft already announced.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6496|N. Ireland
Mods are coming out for it but it'll never be fully compatible.
JaMrulezass
+47|6467|Hong Kong
Are you sure that a single GTX needs 600+ watts?
Greenboi
+14|6369
8800 Ultra = waste of money...its just an overclocked 8800GTX... no different architecture, only reason anyone should buy it, is for e-peen reasons only!

In regards to DX10 in xp, some coders are in the process of making it possible to do so by emulation i think...which means DX10 for XP...but a stupidly unplayable FPS
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6329|Australia
When you think about it, you can't quad SLi 8800s. Each card takes up two slots.....and cases only support 7 PCI slots. You probably could put watercooling it, but that will just get stupid....

And does a X2900 really require that puch power? Damn.
And I have found reviews of 2900s beating 8800GTSs in tests, so don't dismiss ATI as a contender just yet.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6445|Stealth City, UK
Hopefully with the new X38 chipset coming out the Pcie slots are 2.0 and so have 300 watts capability. Should help with what PSU to choose.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)
Does anyone have any info on AGP DX10 cards?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6540|Long Island, New York
Kyle.

Stop being so good at the internets.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6540|Long Island, New York

JaMrulezass wrote:

Are you sure that a single GTX needs 600+ watts?
Yeah...although a 550W might work.
The#1Spot
+105|6542|byah

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I believe that later on the lower end models like the 8600gt and below will have an agp version but thats the last of the agp. I heard the 9 series will not support agp.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6496|N. Ireland

Sup3r_Dr4gon wrote:

When you think about it, you can't quad SLi 8800s. Each card takes up two slots.....and cases only support 7 PCI slots. You probably could put watercooling it, but that will just get stupid....

And does a X2900 really require that puch power? Damn.
And I have found reviews of 2900s beating 8800GTSs in tests, so don't dismiss ATI as a contender just yet.
A) It is the chips that control SLi. A 7950GX2 has 2 chips inside it, and you can "SLi" those 2 together, giving you quad SLi.
B) Cases do exist that can handle more than that you know!
C) VR-Zone test proves otherwise. Take it up with them. I love ATi, but nVidia have it this time.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
Your £ pricing for the GTX and Ultra says that they cost the same amount of £. I'm sure the Ultra is way more expensive (especially for us UK'ers) and also i've heard that the Ultra is more or less a total waste of money, so i don't think it should be recommended as much. But i'm not your hardcore gamer, i'm just saying what i've read.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2007-06-09 16:33:28)

kylef
Gone
+1,352|6496|N. Ireland

Mekstizzle wrote:

Your £ pricing for the GTX and Ultra says that they cost the same amount of £. I'm sure the Ultra is way more expensive (especially for us UK'ers) and also i've heard that the Ultra is more or less a total waste of money, so i don't think it should be recommended as much. But i'm not your hardcore gamer, i'm just saying what i've read.
Thanks for pointing that out!
Scorpion0x17
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

The#1Spot wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I believe that later on the lower end models like the 8600gt and below will have an agp version but thats the last of the agp. I heard the 9 series will not support agp.
Thanks. I think the situation is similar with ATI - i.e. there will lower-end 2x00 AGP boards, but this is likely to be the last we see of AGP from ATI, can anyone confirm/strengthen this?
[HOF]Mercenary
o_O
+53|6181
DONT buy a 7600, all of them are plagued by problems
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6496|N. Ireland

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

And someone mentioned a 7600 where exactly?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6652

leetkyle wrote:

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

And someone mentioned a 7600 where exactly?
They didn't, but who cares cause they're still better than a couple of the cards you've got up there.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6584|SE London

[HOF]Mercenary wrote:

Bullshit. The 7600GT is a great card.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6552|UK

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Thanks. I think the situation is similar with ATI - i.e. there will lower-end 2x00 AGP boards, but this is likely to be the last we see of AGP from ATI, can anyone confirm/strengthen this?
ATI/AMD mentioned not so long ago they would not abaondon the AGP market any time soon, tbh I wouldnt be suprised to see 3*** ATI cards still supporting AGP, its to large a market share to ignore, and/or, ATI need as much of a market share as they can, if Nvidia wont support AGP, then thats some ground ATI can catch up on, tis what I would do.

Martyn

Last edited by Bell (2007-06-11 10:53:17)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6768|Cambridge (UK)

Bell wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

ATI/AMD mentioned not so long ago they would not abaondon the AGP market any time soon, tbh I wouldnt be suprised to see 3*** ATI cards still supporting AGP, its to large a market share to ignore, and/or, ATI need as much of a market share as they can, if Nvidia wont support AGP, then thats some ground ATI can catch up on, tis what I would do.

Martyn
Good point. And I hope ATI are thinking along the same lines as you.
[PTG]shogun
PS n00b & proud vista user
+44|6435

Bertster7 wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

I know, with absolute and definite certainty, that DX10 is for Vista only.

It may be possible to run DX10 content on XP at some point, but never officially.
thats would be like trying to run DX on linux, it can be done but crappy, plus it will always look better on vista and work better
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6584|SE London

[PTG]shogun wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

I know, with absolute and definite certainty, that DX10 is for Vista only.

It may be possible to run DX10 content on XP at some point, but never officially.
thats would be like trying to run DX on linux, it can be done but crappy, plus it will always look better on vista and work better
Yes. Absolutely exactly like that. The only people I know of working on it are Wine, who did make a version of DX9 for Linux.

With regards to the DX10 AGP stuff, there is no point. There isn't even any point in the lower end DX10 cards like the 8600 even existing, the 8800GTX struggles to maintain good frame rates on DX10 stuff at the moment, from what I've heard - lower end cards will have serious trouble AGP (I almost called it the AGP bus there, that would've been a silly mistake) just won't be able to keep up, the bandwidth is too low.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard