Poll

Alienware or build your own computer (saying u already have the money)

Alienware10%10% - 35
Custom computer89%89% - 301
Total: 336
Maj.Do
+85|6745|good old CA
Read the Poll .  i would buy the alienware
Zedman
+3|6718|NOVA
Alienwares are HIGHLY overpriced. Besides, Custom is much better, IMO. Since i like to tinker, but thats just me.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6740|The United Center
i dont like the initial putting together of the computer but i like upgrading it afterwards.

so i would buy the alienware and then upgrade it.

zedman is right though...alienwares are ridiculously overpriced.  you can build the same computer yourself for about have the price.

the only thing youll be missing are those stupid looking (in my opinion) cases and their name on the front.

oh...and their bullshit cooling system.
FoodNipple101
I like grapes.
+1|6751
Btw You Cannnot Customize An Alienware After Purchse You Have To Send It To Them For Updates Do Not Buy 1
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6740|The United Center

FoodNipple101 wrote:

Btw You Cannnot Customize An Alienware After Purchse You Have To Send It To Them For Updates Do Not Buy 1
well, you can, but it voids their warranty.

then again, thats true for just about any brand of computers.  i read somewhere that alienware warranties are void once you even open the case...but i have no proof to back that up.
OmNiCuBe
+1|6703
Just bought an Alienware machine....i will not need to upgrade for at least 2 - 3 years
VIKING-LOVER1
+3|6838
you know ive built my 3rd computer now' its not hard  , just look around  and its much cheaper in the long run

my bf2 player pc   has  >
3200 AMD
4 * pc3200 ram
raideon 9700
mother board soyo kt800
skuzi harddrive 15,000 rpm /80 gig

i went out and bought alll of it' and  me and a friend had it running in 2 nights of work

works great'.. i would never "buy" store made pc's
if i were you , just look around'
Maj.Do
+85|6745|good old CA
ive built my 7th computer last night.  for media though like a tv computer
Maj.Do
+85|6745|good old CA
Alienwares are huge.  i say huge!  i dont know if there cooling systems work well
PsycoCheerio
+2|6730|Marysville, Washington
Me and my buddy build systems for people all the time.  I built, so far, 2 for myself and they work much better than the store bought computers that my father insists on getting.
OUROBOROS
+0|6751

OmNiCuBe wrote:

Just bought an Alienware machine....i will not need to upgrade for at least 2 - 3 years
lol speaks for itself

Last edited by OUROBOROS (2005-12-13 22:27:33)

THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6763|AUS, Canberra
building your own computer is so ridiculisly easy i dont know why you would by a pre made...

this is a system from alienware australia

Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64
3800+ Processor

Operating System
Microsoft® Windows®
XP Professional Edition

Memory
1GB Dual Channel DDR
PC-3200 SDRAM 400MHz

Hard Drive
160GB Hitachi® SATA
with 8MB Cache

Graphics Processor
Dual Nvidia® GeForce
GF6600GT 128MB DDR3

Sound Card
Integrated 5.1 Surround
Sound w/Optical Out
Dimensions
(W)9.5"x(D)22.5"x(H)22.0"

As configured:
$3,393.99

thats aus dollars

i built

amd 3500+
6800 gt
2 gig ram pc3200
twice the hd space

plus i got logitech g5 mouse
19 inch monitor
logitech keyboard
speakers with subwoofer

for 1900 aus dollars,

so you can see the difference.

Last edited by the_heart_attack (2005-12-14 00:36:28)

section9
+9|6840|USA
I bought an alienware and it's great....in the process of getting upgrades as soon as they get the parts they need.However there's another company out there called falcon northwest that makes some sweet systems.If you dont care about customer service and you know what you're doing...build your own.On the other hand if money's no problem then get one of the 2 mentioned,I'm happy with mine and will be even happier when i get it back.
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6814
If you know how or want to learn how to build a PC - go for it you will save money and learn tons about a computer by building it yourself - just need to invest a little time in either building it or learning how and building it.

If you have no clue how to build a computer, don't want to learn and would rather just go online, configure a system and have it delivered ready to play BF2 (other that installing the game:) ) then buy one.
Alienware is great for this but you do pay a high premium for what you get.

I build 100% - get more for the money and I get exactly what I want in my PC.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6764|Atlanta, GA USA
Alienwares are supposed to be good, but way too much money.  You save a lot of money by building your own (at least compared to Alienware), and you know you got good hardware.  If you buy one of the cheaper prebuilt systems, you don't know what you're getting...
Edit:  Another advantage of building your own: you don't get all that unnecessary bullshit software they cram on your harddrive.  My god, can they put any more useless crap on there?

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2005-12-14 10:25:27)

Xponential
+0|6757
I would highly suggest building your own system.

First of all, their's the satisfaction you'll have in knowing you built it.  Your hard work and knowledge made that system possible.
Secondly, their's the ABSOLUTE BUTTLOAD OF $$$ YOU'LL SAVE if you build your own system vs. buying one from Alienware.  You are seriously going to save hundreds (maybe a couple thousand) of dollars.  I'm not exaggerating here.  This is how overpriced their systems are.  If you don't believe me, you can check for yourself.  Use Pricewatch to total up all the actual costs of the hardware in the Alienware system you'd buy.
Thirdly, all that money you save on your system can go towards future upgrades, games, whatever.

I just don't see the sense in spending that much more money to get a system that performs the same as one you could build, no matter how cool they look.  I've personally built many systems for myself, other family members and friends, and I get a lot of satisfaction out of it.  That's the way I always tell people to go.  If you don't know how to build one, get someone who does to do it for you.

Last edited by Xponential (2005-12-14 21:05:42)

-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6721|Australia
Alienware's cooling system (the water cooling anyway) is very cheapass, a good HSF like a XP-120 can beat it easy

As for building it myself, i have been doing it since i was 8 yrs old (kinda screwed up alot, but meh)
And i like the satisfation to know, u made it, and its better than others

Last edited by -_{MoW}_-Assasin (2005-12-15 03:40:15)

Alcorr
+0|6701
Yeah building your own system is way better than buying any comp from a company that overprices your stuff so badly like alienware.
nismo4life
+3|6699
My Rig:

AMD XP 2800+

WD 60GB/WD Sata 250gb

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

eVGA nVidia 6800GT

2gb Corsair XMS Dual Channel PC3200

Thermaltake Tsunami

Windows XP Home SP1

Logitech MX518

Logitech X530 speakers

Samsung 730B SyncMaster

for a grand....runs every single game on the market at full specs and then some...i dont see the need for a massively overpowered cpu so i kept my mobo and cpu from my old pc...plus i like the nforce2 chipset and the onboard nvidia sound card

Last edited by nismo4life (2005-12-16 17:40:40)

section9
+9|6840|USA
-=Meshekal=-
+2|6735|United Kingdom
Yeah, Alienware is incredibly overpriced - your paying for the name, logo, and the case (But damn it's a nice case)...oh, and the tech support etc.

I built my own computer. For £1,000 it runs everything on max and I have not problems.

But then, building your own computer may be cheaper and satisfactory, if you do happen to make an error, you could do some nasty damage. Before I build mine, I played around with my old computer and some spare parts to get the feel of what I was doing. BANG! There went the CPU and PSU and quite possibly the motherboard. As long as you know which bits go where, your good to go. Though I had it easy - I just moved my HD from my old comp to the new, so no installing windows.
wooly-back-jack
Jihaaaaaad!!!
+84|6733|England
my current pc and 1st build!

Athlon64 3500+
2 x 512mb DDR pc3200
ASUS A8N-SLI
ASUS EN6800GT
600W Enermax noistaker
Thermaltake viking case
160GB seagate barracuda
19"TFT

(all I had done before was add more ram and a geforce4 to my sons pc lol)

If you do a bit of research 1st on price and make sure the stuff is compatable it really is easy.
For me it did take all night to build but thats me just reading the mobo manual etc and making sure nothing goes wrong. Its just like Lego only more expensive
If you realy aren't that confident about it Id recommend going to a decent PC shop, pick your 'bits' and ask them to build it for you rather than getting a 'Branded PC' as some branded PC's aren't really that upgradable / or if they are you have to buy their brand components.
[TB]Dragon Slayer
+0|6678
I just bought one through ibuypower.com after specing at alienware and others.  Give it a try. 

I wanted to build my own, but chickened out!
spyderman120
+0|6675
ok, ill say it right out front, i am a noob to these forums, and have only been playing Bf2 for a month or so...go ahead and hit me, i'll turn the other cheek. (a little humor) anyways, i have two basic questions, which will inevitably open up into much more.

1st: i want to build my own, and first, PC. and i want to be ale to play these games on it, heh. so, if anybody could point me in the right direction, as in what to buy(specs or what you are using, just help in any way). price range is probably somewhere up to $1000, at the highest at this point.

2nd: i have been playing BF2, like i said, but am wondering, if and when i get my newly self-built PC up and running, should i get BF2 or BF2:SF? again, any help or tips

thanks!
Sgt.Gene
+215|6756

FoodNipple101 wrote:

what r u fucking stupid i customized my alienware right on the internet

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard