Poll

Do you think skill is based more on Intelligence or Reflexes?

Intelligence by Far52%52% - 241
Reflexes like Jet Lee47%47% - 221
Total: 462
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6317

Notice in the poll title it says based MORE on....Meaning, and I say this bluntly, which one if you HAVE to choose! If I put an AK47 to your head!
You cant null vote and post "omg it takes both duh simple rely." That just makes you look dumb.

This poll will be with GRAPHICS AND COMPUTER SPEED BESIDE THE POINT

If you think its neither, please stop to think back on your many games played, and ask yourself:

"Did that guy outsmart me? Or was he faster then me?"

And if thats not enough, you have a full range of arguments for each side on these pages to help you decide.
--------

I've played many games where I got easy kills from a person who had no clue where he was getting shot from, or guys who bunny hopped directly at me and also having people jump off of buildings and parachute all the way down while I shot at them. These are all examples of uninteligent people. I've also had times where I have been out smarted...

I've had games where the moment I saw a guy, he got the bead on me before I could. Or I got jihad jeeped by a buggy who came around a corner and blew up my tank before I really noticed what was about to happen and get a shot off. These are examples of faster reflexes (or in my case slower reflexes)

I asked myself, are there more stupid people out there then skilled people? Then I thought, Is skill based on Reflexes rather then Intelligence?"

I really did not have an answer, so I decided to get everyones opinion in this following thread. Notice I say EVERYONES opinion! If you got something to contribute please do.

Last edited by Im_Dooomed (2007-07-29 14:10:22)

Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
PvtStPoK
paintball > bf2
+48|6503|montreal, quebec

nulled

need both to be good
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6278|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

Mostly reflexes. Whoever can drop prone first and fire off about 10 rounds wins.

Unless it's a sniper at long-range, of course.
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
David.P
Banned
+649|6262
Reflex for me.
agent146
+127|6375|Jesus Land aka Canada
what skills means to be me is = turning your shadows and graphics off so you can see the claymores and snipers on karkand.
but seriously skills= flanking. if you flank, you can catch the enemy of by surpise and finish him off easily, no mercy, no chance for him to retaliate. so ....you need both.

Last edited by agent146 (2007-05-06 21:17:19)

cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!

agent146 wrote:

what skills means to be me is = turning your shadows and graphics off so you can see the claymores and snipers on karkand.
but seriously skills= flanking. if you flank, you can catch the enemy of by surpise and finish him off easily, no mercy, no chance for him to retaliate. so ....you need bought.
Of course, the only problem with that for me is that I tend to overthink the situation. That is, I think "Let's flank him. No wait, then he might try to flank me. SO I'll flank to the other side...."

So on and so forth. Besides, I usually die by grenade before I finish that train of thought.
Monkeyman911
Dun wori, it's K.
+76|6410|California, US
i nulled it
takes both, i agree
redhawk454
+50|6537|Divided States of America
Intelligence. the guy who has enough knowledge to download a hack will beat your ass every time, lmao.
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6467|Communist Republic of CA, USA
In your average Karkand, game, it's definately Reflexes.  However in Project Reality, or more open maps it seems more Intelligence oriented.
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6324|Oregon
both.

i voted intelligence because it takes a very specific type of intelligence...
Cobra4545
Jizz in my pants
+54|6468|Vancouver, USA
In the city maps, its all about the reflexes.  When you come around the corner you need to have those fast twitch muscles ready for anything.  I tend to play more on the air maps where intelligence plays a much more crucial role.  You need to know where the enemy will come from and the choke points on the map.  Intelligence or reflexes?  I guess it just depends on the type of map you like to play.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6435|Chicago, IL
Intelligence.  I havent been knifed in over a year, because I always watch my ass.  Shoot from a bush, not the middle of a street, you're in camo for a reason.  Obviously, people will occasionally get in a few lucky shots on you, but the player who never gets seen is the one that ends the round 23 and 0.

besides, an itchy trigger finger usually leads to riddling your squadmate when he comes around a corner.
GeT-TwisTeD
+7|6267
Reflexes because you can teach somebody eventually how not to be stupid.  Skills but no game expierence like sidney crosby a couple years ago id take over a guy who knows the game but has to look down at his keyboard to know what button hes pressing
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6559|United States
Null vote.

I don't think either one outweighs the other because you simply can't have just one of these attributes and be "good"... you could be average or mediocre, but that's it. You must have a good combination of both to truely be a "skilled" player. But out of the two I would say intelligence is far more important. Having quick reflexes is good, but if you know the maps, know how to work with a squad, learn player habits, etc. etc. then you won't often be in situations where reflexes save your ass.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6755|UK
Both, reflexes and the ability to out manoeuvre enemies.

I NEVER attack the same route as the rest of my team, less defence that way.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6695
BOTH!
jsnipy
+3,276|6511|...

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

BOTH!
QFE
agent146
+127|6375|Jesus Land aka Canada

cowami wrote:

agent146 wrote:

but seriously skills= flanking. if you flank, you can catch the enemy of by surpise and finish him off easily, no mercy, no chance for him to retaliate. so ....you need bought.
Of course, the only problem with that for me is that I tend to overthink the situation. That is, I think "Let's flank him. No wait, then he might try to flank me. SO I'll flank to the other side...."

So on and so forth. Besides, I usually die by grenade before I finish that train of thought.
Lol, ya well i guess thats...just bf2/"Real-life"  for us all; abattle of luck, chance, intelligence, reflexes, stats of your gun... but ya i know... grenades....i seriously think the throw distance is way to LOOOONNNGG.
Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6637|Norway

PvtStPoK wrote:

nulled

need both to be good
yes, combination.

I`ve noticed that the kids (13-19) usually are quicker in the reflexes than the old guys, and if they know their weapon they can be really good in one on one. While i have to depend on uav, sneak around and shoot people in the back...
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6734

Reflexes for 1v1. Intelligence for everything else. So I'd say intelligence rules overall.

Maintain firing discpline (single or double shots but not spamming). [Intelligence]

Aim for the chest and let your recoil bring the shots into their head [Reflexes + Intelligence]

Throw grenades (and jump around) rather then try to duke it out long range if you are low on health or you are in a vulernable position. [Intelligence]

Getting shot from somewhere you don't know? Know your map so you know the most likely spots. Seek temporary cover. Grenade obvious spots and look for flares. If you get a flare, thats your bad guy. Did they do a lot of damage (e.g. sniper?) - then don't poke your head back out. If they did a little damage, go back out and look for them, and notice where the red damage bar indicates your getting hit from. Use your superior reflexes to single shot their ass or use your intelligence and just grenade and bunny hop them to death. Whatever works. [Reflexes + Intelligence]

Improve your KDR by getting a 5 button mouse and using prone/secondary fire on your mouse. This lets you free up your left hand for more action. Setup quickswap keys for guns so that they are easily accessed. I actually use the arrow keys, delete, end, page down, rshift, rctrl, kp 0, kpdel, and numpad 1-9 for hotswap guns. I can bunny hop, strafe, prone, crouch, hotswap guns, sprint etc. much faster then my enemy because my layout is well thought out and well practiced. Then reflexes come in when you need to swap to grenades fast, throw yourself an ammo bag, throw more nades, and finally get close and rpk them. meanwhile your proning and jumping the whole time. People will hate you when they loose to you, but you like seeing their death from your gun so tough beans for them! Having those shockpaddles on a quickswap key is very handy, as is kitswap so that you can grab someones medic kit and raise them quickly all the while proning and jumping. [Intelligence]

If it is 1v2 or 1v3 etc. use grenades first, then pick off the weak. Jump, prone, use the map obstacles to your advantage. [Intelligence]

Use people against themselves. Run around a corner and then turn and face waiting for them to think they are sneaking up on you (as in they think you didn't notice them), when really you are waiting with an rpk for their face. [Intelligence +1]

Constantly monitor UAV; it is like cheating but without actually cheating. Knowing where your enemy is, is a huge advantage. Think about every other game out there, that kind of information is only for cheaters. In Bf2 its accesible to everyone, and if you don't use it you are a fucking tool. [Intelligence]

Jump to the side and go prone second in a 1v1 battle such that your enemy goes prone first, has trouble aiming at you, unloads all over the place and now has terrible deviation and low ammo. Meanwhile you prone second and have extremely accurate first shots at a stationary target = they die and say "noob bunnyhopper" yet you win so who cares. [Reflexes + Intelligence]

Know your maps weak points and strong points. This increases your chances for KDR + SPM + flag caps + squad safety. [Intelligence]

Play with your mates, roll with a few medics and a support guy, play in vent, have a good squad lead who knows where to go, stays alive, and everyone in squad must swap kits to res anyone who is down. [Intelligence +1]

Take the high ground - notice how low ground likes to collect grenades, gets GL'ed easier, and generally gets cluster fucked more often? Also notice how sometimes those guys above you can shoot through wall edges but you can't shoot back? Use it to your advantage. [Intelligence]

Stay out of grenade and clay whored areas. I know you really want to go there because its the fastest, but unless your buddy is a medic right behind you, you are gonna blow up son. [Intelligence]

Play something other than 24/7 Karkand for all 1000 hours you've played this game. You'll learn a lot on other maps other then how to grenade hotel and square. If you must play karkand, please please go cap suburb first from the hillside, or cement factory from the train tracks. Do not rush into hotel and get clayed/naded/mg'ed. [Intelligence]

TV missile war? Do you know about lagging hit boxes? Do you know to always aim for the tail unless they are doing a barrel roll (press z or r twice) then you aim for the lagging hit box following the chopper. [Intelligence]

Tank getting c4ed a lot? Don't stop moving, just roll back and forth while capping a flag. The idiots will get caught in your tracks and die due to bf2's wonderful programming. Even if they c4 you from the side (which will be easier to see them in the first place) they still get caught in the tracks half the time. lol nubbers. [Intelligence]

Playing Sharqi peninsula? TV through the fog (camera lets you see farther) and hit the cobra/havok at their spawn. [Reflexes]

Tow the Havok from Hotel on Sharqi peninsula. [Intelligence]

Getting teamkilled with an m95 everytime you get into a j10 on wake? Press e once to get in, then press e again when you anticipate their shot a second after getting in. Then get back in to warm the engines a little more, and then get out again (you have a few seconds while they reload each bullet). After they take their second shot you should be able to get off the ground without getting tk'ed. [Intelligence]

I prefer single shot mode even in cqc so that every bullet counts. Some cases I'll put it in auto if I know I am going to be right in someones face but otherwise I use single shot and just click very fast. If you aren't used to single shot and fast clicking though, you'll fire a shot and nothing more and then you will screaaaam "FFS I hate single shot!" The advantage is every bullet hits and you can get better headshots (instead of random headshots), but the disadvantage is you have to switch into auto when you know you are going to a very cqc alleyway or whatever. I used to hate single shot because I'd get caught with my pants down, but now that I am used to it my KDR has gone up even more.

A final say, in a battle of reflexes, the guy with the better machine will consistantly win. If you don't see it first and even if you are faster reflexes/smarter player, it doesn't matter your getting raped when your getting 15fps and the other guy is getting 70 and has a better internet connection to boot. If this is the case, you need to put distance on this kind of enemy to minimize his advantage with having a faster machine. Eg use grenades, use claymores, use vehicles, use your strongest weapon (rpk, g36e etc.) to try and cut out his advantages at having a better machine. Turn off shadows, turn off dynamic lighting, put medium settings on, turn ur AA down to 2x etc. Else you will be loosing just because your machine sucks not through your own fault.

Last edited by [CANADA]_Zenmaster (2007-05-06 21:36:49)

cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!

[CANADA]_Zenmaster wrote:

I prefer single shot mode even in cqc so that every bullet counts. Some cases I'll put it in auto if I know I am going to be right in someones face but otherwise I use single shot and just click very fast. If you aren't used to single shot and fast clicking though, you'll fire a shot and nothing more and then you will screaaaam "FFS I hate single shot!" The advantage is every bullet hits and you can get better headshots (instead of random headshots), but the disadvantage is you have to switch into auto when you know you are going to a very cqc alleyway or whatever. I used to hate single shot because I'd get caught with my pants down, but now that I am used to it my KDR has gone up even more.
QFT. M16 on single-shot in CQC FTW!

Too many abbreviations for my liking, actually.
t0mhank5
+319|6701|Surge
Face to face, reflexes will win.

But the guy smart enough to have good positioning and only expose himself to the backs of enemies is always better.
ts-pulsar
+54|6491
It's a little of both.  You've gotta have a fast reaction time to deal with the unexpected, but you've also gotta be able to out think your opponent.

When ever I get into a situation where I see an enemy, and he sees me and we get into a shootout with out killing, when we both go for cover the first thing I try to do is guess what does this guy think I'm gonna do, and then I'll do the opposite.
geNius
..!.,
+144|6431|SoCal
In the end, even on Karkand, an intelligent squad will rape the Factory from a couple of quick-reflexin' idiots.

Smart players can have what they want in a round.  Your flag/high KDR/high points - it generally depends on what their motivation is.

Albeit, face to face is dominated by the reflex guy.  Nothing worse than sneaking up on someone to knife (or c4 a tank), to have a guy you know is brainless happen to turn around and shoot you.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6500|Gold Coast
60% Reflexes, 40% intelligence. IDK where that came from, but Id say its both, but I voted intelligence.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard