The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6643|Deep In The South Of Texas
That's the ticket!

For example, on stock voltage(1.35) I can go from 2200 to 2500MHz and still have the same temps. If I try to go over 2500 it becomes unstable. If I want it to be stable I have to raise the voltage, and that's when temps start to rise.

As CrazeD and others said, raising the speed alone isn't going to damage anything. All that will happen if you raise it too much is you won't be able to POST and you'll have to clear your CMOS and start over.
ReDevilJR
+106|6352
My Voltage is at 1.328... My Bus speed is at 200.9 (200)... What is the highest I can raise before it becomes unstable? Can I get this verified by more than one person please, thanks!

Last edited by ReDevilJR (2007-04-23 17:01:38)

The Stillhouse Kid

The Stillhouse Kid wrote:

Never assume that just because somebody else can squeeze a certain overclock out of similar hardware as yours that you can do the same.
There's no real way of telling how high you can get before becoming unstable. Even with CPUs of the exact same type, from the same fabrication wafer, will have some difference in results.
ReDevilJR
+106|6352
Okay, I just OC'd it up to 209 Mhz, I didn't touch the voltage, I don't have to worry about then (Or heat) Correct? It's running at around 2.51 Ghz
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6568|NYC / Hamburg

use the A64 OC guide I posted on the first page. depending on your chip you should be able to squeeze out a bit more @ stock voltage (2.6 GHz i guess). You might want to bump the voltage to 1.35V which is the standard V for nearly all AMD CPUs. For temps download Core temp. As long as the load temps stay < 55°C your OK.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
frankyman_88
I <3 J.C.
+29|6556|QLD, australia

max wrote:

what stepping do you have? You should be able to squeeze a bit more out of the CPU
Lol i don't know man, i just did my first overclock and i'm pretty happy with the 600Mhz boost. No use risking it just to get a few extra i reckon

Edit: I can post my cpu-z screenies if you want, they might give you a better idea? On the weekend i'm on my shitty pc now

Last edited by frankyman_88 (2007-04-24 04:58:32)

ReDevilJR
+106|6352
My CPU runs very hot, it runs (Upon normal startup) at temperatures of 45 - 55 degrees Celsius. I think I may have seen it peeked at 60 once... Would getting a Copper Heat sink significantly make it cooler? (From an Aluminum one)

Last edited by ReDevilJR (2007-04-24 11:56:04)

CrazeD
+368|6674|Maine
That's way too hot.

Do you have the stock heatsink? Any after market heatsink will be better than stock.

The Zalman CNPS9500 is pretty good.
ReDevilJR
+106|6352
I know it's not a stock heat sink, but I do know it's not the best... I AM using Arctic Silver grease, however, I think my problem is my Aluminum heat sink
The Stillhouse Kid
The stock HSF isn't meant for overclocking. You'd do well to get a replacement.

Zalman CNPS9500

ThermalTake  Big Typhoon

Or my personal favorite,
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
ReDevilJR
+106|6352
Which...

Heatsink alone would be recommended?

And what Heatsink & Fan CPU would be recommended?

I want to decide If I should replace both heatsink and fan, or just the heatsink... (Because I like how all my Case fans are the same - except that my CPU fan is red while case fans are blue) And by replacing the fan, kinda' makes it look not as good...

(That's compatible with Skt 939 AMD 64 X2 Specs)

I will pay anything up to and around $50 for Heatsink &/Or Heatsink with fan.

Last edited by ReDevilJR (2007-04-24 12:45:29)

Profitteroles
+11|6240|Dartford

ReDevilJR wrote:

Which...

Heatsink would be recommended?

And what Heatsink & Fan CPU would be recommended?

I want to decide If I should replace both heatsink and fan, or just the heatsink... (Because I like how all my Case fans are the same - except that my CPU fan is red) And by replacing both, kinda' makes it look not as good...

(That's compatible with Skt 939 AMD 64 X2 Specs)
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/vie … p;code=005

This one is awesome its the one i have
ReDevilJR
+106|6352

Profitteroles wrote:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=202&code=005

This one is awesome its the one i have
What's your CPU temps, and Speeds? How is it that the heat sink is so small but effective? It looks big, do you think there's enough room in my case? Also, what's the fan mate? and do I have to use it? Or can I just have the fan running full blast all the time?

I'm starting to like the fan and heatsink you just posted...

Last edited by ReDevilJR (2007-04-24 12:52:56)

frankyman_88
I <3 J.C.
+29|6556|QLD, australia

ReDevilJR wrote:

What's your CPU temps, and Speeds? How is it that the heat sink is so small but effective? It looks big, do you think there's enough room in my case? Also, what's the fan mate? and do I have to use it? Or can I just have the fan running full blast all the time?

I'm starting to like the fan and heatsink you just posted...
I have a zalman cooler that came with the fanmate, but i don't use it. Just run it full bore or use a program like speedcontrol if it's too loud. Also some case may not have enough room, do some research first
ReDevilJR
+106|6352
Okay, I've decided to go with http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/vie … p;code=005 My case is big enough, And i believe there is enough room on the mobo (As in it's far enough away from the ram and everything else)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard