ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

I have a question to the doomsayers (apart from possibly smuder) in this thread saying don't overclock, you will die etc: Have any of you ever done it? Thought not, now STFU.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6568|NYC / Hamburg

seriously people. He is asking for advice. You have to start somewhere. Asking on a forum is a great start IMO. Yes, OCing can be dangerous if done incorrectly, but if done properly its low risk. I have OCed about 30 PCs up to now and not a single one died yet.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

max wrote:

seriously people. He is asking for advice. You have to start somewhere. Asking on a forum is a great start IMO. Yes, OCing can be dangerous if done incorrectly, but if done properly its low risk. I have OCed about 30 PCs up to now and not a single one died yet.
OCing in my opinion is easy, I started to OC stuff when I was like 14 lawl, shouldn't be that hard Just google some OC guides, and remember to bump fsb slowly and use SP2004 for stress testing (12 hours stable recommended)
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

max wrote:

OCing in my opinion is easy, I started to OC stuff when I was like 14 lawl, shouldn't be that hard Just google some OC guides, and remember to bump fsb slowly and use SP2004 for stress testing (12 hours stable recommended)
It is to a point. Anyone can get a few Mhz extra out of their CPU, but the guys that are getting the world records have some serious skills.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6568|NYC / Hamburg

ghettoperson wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

max wrote:

It is to a point. Anyone can get a few Mhz extra out of their CPU, but the guys that are getting the world records have some serious skills.
or just a shit load of dry ice and no fear of killing their chips
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6777|UK
Like people have said if this is your first attempt at OC'ing you might end up worse off than you started.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Milk.org wrote:

Like people have said if this is your first attempt at OC'ing you might end up worse off than you started.
Not really. Just reset the CMOS and you're back where you started.
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6777|UK

ghettoperson wrote:

Milk.org wrote:

I thought there was a risk of breaking some of your components permanently with overclocking?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Milk.org wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Milk.org wrote:

I thought there was a risk of breaking some of your components permanently with overclocking?
You affect the long term life of the component, say from 10 years down to 5, depending on how far you push it, but as most people don't keep stuff that long, it's not that much of an issue. I suppose you could in theory kill something, but I can't really think how. If something isn't working properly, the computer just won't boot, which should stop any damage to components. I haven't heard of anything, but I'm sure there are cases where it has killed stuff.
ReDevilJR
+106|6352
Hey, instead of making another thread... I overclocked my memory from 200 to  216 ~ 220... I was wondering if this was the most I could go without any problems.

https://www.ultrauploader.com/thumbs/5339Image1.jpg
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

You want to leave it running a stress testing program such as Orthos or Prime95 for a good few hours to check that it's stable.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6355

ghettoperson wrote:

I have a question to the doomsayers (apart from possibly smuder) in this thread saying don't overclock, you will die etc: Have any of you ever done it? Thought not, now STFU.
safe place for such a mouth as yours
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6643|Deep In The South Of Texas

ReDevilJR wrote:

Hey, instead of making another thread... I overclocked my memory from 200 to  216 ~ 220... I was wondering if this was the most I could go without any problems.

http://www.ultrauploader.com/thumbs/5339Image1.jpg
Run Memtest86 from a bootable floppy or CD. Let it run for 8+ hours. If you get no errors, bump the speed if you wish.
ReDevilJR
+106|6352

The Stillhouse Kid wrote:

ReDevilJR wrote:

http://www.ultrauploader.com/thumbs/5339Image1.jpg
Run Memtest86 from a bootable floppy or CD. Let it run for 8+ hours. If you get no errors, bump the speed if you wish.
Okay, I ran it for a half an hour, and said, I'll do this later when i don't need to use the computer... Do I have to worry about wattage or voltage in anyway for memory OC'ing...? It will only go up to 250 Mhz...

Also, is my latency increasing as I OC it more? Or would I be able to tighten down the timings?

Last edited by ReDevilJR (2007-04-22 13:36:37)

The Stillhouse Kid
For DDR don't go over 2.9v. 2.8v should be as high as you really need to go though.

As you increase your overclock latency isn't increasing, unless you change the timings. Essentially timings = latency. Often to gain higher speed you'll have to increase timings to gain stability.

If your CPU is AMD you'll see better performance from lower timings than higher speed, while Intel benefits more from speed than timings. Either way, it's best to find a balance between speed and timings.

Start Memtest running before you got to bed, then by morning it should have run long enough to put in several full passes.
ReDevilJR
+106|6352

For DDR don't go over 2.9v. 2.8v should be as high as you really need to go though.

As you increase your overclock latency isn't increasing, unless you change the timings. Essentially timings = latency. Often to gain higher speed you'll have to increase timings to gain stability.

If your CPU is AMD you'll see better performance from lower timings than higher speed, while Intel benefits more from speed than timings. Either way, it's best to find a balance between speed and timings.

Start Memtest running before you got to bed, then by morning it should have run long enough to put in several full passes.
Thanks, I May just keep my DDR at around 220Mhz then... It's difficult to have it running all night when it's as bright as a UFO in my room :-/
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6292|Washington St.
Okay in response and question to my OP, this is what I found for OC noobs like me.

Is it okay as a starting guide? Or will following this guide lead me into a path of (computer) destruction?

Thanks.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717
Gives you the basics yeah, but not the specifics.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Hunter/Jumper wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

safe place for such a mouth as yours
lolwut?
Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6253|England
Overclocking is relitivly simple thing to do but can cost you a new CPU and MOBO IF DONE INCORRECTLY. The answer to this is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH if you have'nt been researching for a coupla weeks first then get started, join the oc'ing websites ask the questions of the guys on the forums but remember to give all the specs of your current machine, most of the oc'ing forums are full of helpful guys n gals that just want to help people new to the oc'ing scene. But once again RESEARCH oh and COOLING!!!
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
The Stillhouse Kid
Overclocking forums and your motherboard manufacturer's forum(if any) are the two places to go.

Be ready to give your detailed system specs. For everything.

Never assume that just because somebody else can squeeze a certain overclock out of similar hardware as yours that you can do the same.

Take small steps, keeping an eye on temperatures.

Remember that too much voltage is the #1 killer of components.
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6455|USA
What do I have to do? Go into bios I think? But what after that? Is it hard?
Go into the bios, and look for something along the lines of cpu clock speed. Switch it to manual than increase it by 2-3 numbers, test it out (do some stress testing IE 3dmark06 or something along the lines

What are the risks? I know that if you do it too much your component will overheat and you'll have to buy a new one, but is that only if you do it TOO much. Can you do it a little and get a little better performance as to decrease risk?
Warranty expires, can make the processor run too hot, can in the end kill the processor
How much cooling do you need? I had planned on getting around to doing it when I got the money for a liquid cooling system but can I do it with fans? What's the risk of doing it with fans?
You can do it with a stock heatsink just fine, just don't go overboard with the overclocking...
CrazeD
+368|6674|Maine

elite.mafia wrote:

What are the risks? I know that if you do it too much your component will overheat and you'll have to buy a new one, but is that only if you do it TOO much. Can you do it a little and get a little better performance as to decrease risk?
Warranty expires, can make the processor run too hot, can in the end kill the processor
You have to define "too much". Most people think if you over clock your system is gonna melt. This isn't the case. If you simply raise the frequency that the CPU runs at, there are no risks. The worst that could happen is it doesn't POST, in which case you reset CMOS and you're fine. There is also very minimal, if any, temperature fluctuation when you just raise the frequency.

The killer is voltage. The components in your PC are VERY sensitive to voltage fluctuation. Most chips run at around 1.4V from the factory. If you up that even .1v, it can cause the temperatures to rise quickly, and damage the lifespan of your processor.

If all you are doing is raising the frequency, then you have very little to worry about. I suppose it could reduce the lifespan of your CPU, but if you are worried about that then don't even touch it in the first place.

When you need to start changing voltages, for the sake of your PC, read up on it first. You CAN seriously damage or kill the components of your PC if you raise the voltages too high. I'm not discouraging you from over clocking, I'm making sure you're aware of the consequences that could arise.
The Stillhouse Kid
What he said.

If your CPU is an Athlon 64, 1.55v is the max safe voltage with good air cooling. Above that and you risk seriously decreasing the lifespan of your processor. Dunno about Intel, maybe somebody else can supply the 411.

Keep in mind that technically overclocking does void your warranty, but there's no way for anyone to know unless you come right out and tell them.
ReDevilJR
+106|6352

What he said.

If your CPU is an Athlon 64, 1.55v is the max safe voltage with good air cooling. Above that and you risk seriously decreasing the lifespan of your processor. Dunno about Intel, maybe somebody else can supply the 411.

Keep in mind that technically overclocking does void your warranty, but there's no way for anyone to know unless you come right out and tell them.
So, you're saying that I could technically OC the speed of the processor, without touching the voltage, and I will see very little if any temperature increase? And I won't have to worry about killing it? (Obviously slowly cranking it up)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard