pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
At the risk of being flamed into oblivion, I would like a serious answer to this question.
I know the idea of it (at extra power to you cpu/gpu/etc. and it'll run better/faster/etc.) but I've never actually spent the time to do it.

What do I have to do? Go into bios I think? But what after that? Is it hard?

What are the risks? I know that if you do it too much your component will overheat and you'll have to buy a new one, but is that only if you do it TOO much. Can you do it a little and get a little better performance as to decrease risk?

How much cooling do you need? I had planned on getting around to doing it when I got the money for a liquid cooling system but can I do it with fans? What's the risk of doing it with fans?

Here's my comp: (Again, flame away all you want about my computer, it's a year old and that all the money I had, but I just want to know how to OC)

CPU
CPU fan
Video card
Case (it has all fans)     <---------- 4 days old!

KARMA FOR GOOD ANSWERS!
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6538|NYC / Hamburg

ultimate A64 OC guide

for your gfx card download the coolbits registry tweak, riva tuner or ATI tool to overclock

Basics: bump up the speed until you get errors (test with prime95/orthos and ATi Tool). Lower the speed a bit or bump the voltages.

Risks: You can fry everything. For your CPU try to stay at ~55° max. For your GPU you shouldn't bump any Voltages unless you know what you are doing.

How Much cooling: everything you can afford . Fan only cooling is pretty much the way to go unless you are doing some really serious Overclocking. Water cooling is too expensive IMO (which defeats the whole purpose). For CPUs the best heatsink is currently the Tuniq tower or the Thermalright ultra 120. I do everything on air and my OCs are pretty good. Not the best but the rig has been running happily at those settings for a year without any troubles.

nice case BTW.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6464|N. Ireland
I don't recommend that you overclock. The fact that you don't know how to do it or what it really is and the damages it can cause, I recommend you don't do it.
max
Vela Incident

leetkyle wrote:

I don't recommend that you overclock. The fact that you don't know how to do it or what it really is and the damages it can cause, I recommend you don't do it.
you have to start somewhere. If you read up on the topic a bit and don't over-do it, the risks are pretty low. I started OCing as an utter noob but now I do get very nice clocks out of most things. And I never fried anything in my life (well a PSU died on me once, killing the whole PC (pentium II). But I think that was due to old age and bad quality)
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6464|N. Ireland
Nowadays though, all these huge overclocks are everywhere. I suspect most people learn about overclocking by these levels, and simply crank the FSB up to the limit, without even adjusting the vcore.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.

leetkyle wrote:

Nowadays though, all these huge overclocks are everywhere. I suspect most people learn about overclocking by these levels, and simply crank the FSB up to the limit, without even adjusting the vcore.
Holy cow! What?
FSB? vcore?
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6520|EUtopia | Austria

pirana6 wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

Holy cow! What?
FSB? vcore?
All i can say to you is that you have to get a deeper understanding of this matter on your own. There are numerous forums where overclockers share their experience, where they got guides with pictures, etc.
Be an autodidact, know the possibilities, know your machine and know what you want in detail, I wouldn't rely on anyone giving me advice on oc'ing before checking different sources. Tips are useless unless you know what you'll be doing.
max
Vela Incident

pirana6 wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

Holy cow! What?
FSB? vcore?
FSB: Front side bus: Your AMD doesn't have one technically. Its the base clock generator off which all other CPU/memory clocks are multiplied from. I.E. your CPU runs at 200 MHz (FSB) x 10 (multiplier) = 2.0 GHz (CPU clock speed). Bump the FSB speed to 220 and your cpu runs at 2.2 GHz (220 x 10). Thats the main way of overclocking as you can't adjust the multiplier on most CPUs nowadays

vcore = voltage applied to the CPU. higher = better oc possible but more heat/danger of CPU breaking

EDIT: great place to start is here. Read though the numerous guides

Last edited by max (2007-04-22 03:22:43)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

leetkyle wrote:

Everyone has to start somewhere.

My advice would be to read that guide, and read around on some OCing forums so that you get a good idea of what you're doing. It's hard to go wrong, worst comes to the worst, it won't boot and then you just reset the CMOS. Just take it at small steps at a time, and gradually you'll get a decent OC out of it.

As for cooling, get a Tuniq Tower.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6464|N. Ireland
I recommend you read this. It has everything you need to know.
Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6222|England
Leetkyle is correct in away that if you can't afford to replace the CPU and mobo don't overclock, but also everyone has to start somewhere, research is the key to overclocking there are loads of overclocking forums out there here are a few.

http://www.ocia.net/articles.shtml
http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6155292 … id=6155292
http://www.overclockers.com/
http://www.overclock.net/

One other thing you will need is a fat ass heat sink on your CPU as when you overclock it will produce lots more heat, i would suggest an Arctic cool 64 for your AMD its one of the best heat sinks on the market today the only downside is that it is a bloody big unit, here is another link for that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6835185125

Once again don't overclock unless you can afford to replace your CPU and mobo and make sure your PSU can handle the job as well
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
frankyman_88
I <3 J.C.
+29|6526|QLD, australia
i just recently overclocked my 3800+ to 2600Mhz last weekend. Takes a bit of fiddling but i would say that is its max potential. pm me if u need a bit of help, its late her tho so i mite take time getting back to you
max
Vela Incident

frankyman_88 wrote:

i just recently overclocked my 3800+ to 2600Mhz last weekend. Takes a bit of fiddling but i would say that is its max potential. pm me if u need a bit of help, its late her tho so i mite take time getting back to you
what stepping do you have? You should be able to squeeze a bit more out of the CPU
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

smuder201 wrote:

Leetkyle is correct in away that if you can't afford to replace the CPU and mobo don't overclock, but also everyone has to start somewhere, research is the key to overclocking there are loads of overclocking forums out there here are a few.

http://www.ocia.net/articles.shtml
http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6155292 … id=6155292
http://www.overclockers.com/
http://www.overclock.net/

One other thing you will need is a fat ass heat sink on your CPU as when you overclock it will produce lots more heat, i would suggest an Arctic cool 64 for your AMD its one of the best heat sinks on the market today the only downside is that it is a bloody big unit, here is another link for that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6835185125

Once again don't overclock unless you can afford to replace your CPU and mobo and make sure your PSU can handle the job as well
Why do you say that? I've never heard that before. I don't know what kind of crazy OCing you do, but CPU's don't just die from it. What it does do is shorten the life of the CPU, but with most CPU's having at least a 10 year lifetime, taking that down to 5 or even 3 doesn't really matter, as by that point you'll have replaced it anyway. Most computers are only used for 3 years anyway. So yes, if you can't afford a new CPU and mobo in 3-5 years time, don't do it.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6325
tred with caution when you overclock.
davidonbf2
Banned
+19|6193
does anyone know of a OC tool for p4?
max
Vela Incident

davidonbf2 wrote:

your BIOS! software OCing sucks big time.
davidonbf2
Banned
+19|6193

max wrote:

davidonbf2 wrote:

my bios wont let me OC my p4   it's a dell

Last edited by davidonbf2 (2007-04-22 06:35:57)

Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6601|Washington, DC

davidonbf2 wrote:

max wrote:

davidonbf2 wrote:

Put away your delusions of OCing it then...
max
Vela Incident

davidonbf2 wrote:

max wrote:

davidonbf2 wrote:

you could give softFSB a shot
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6419

i have a question, it doesn't do with this topic though, but I am gonna ask anyway.
Which one provide a better performance on games such as BF2......P4 3GHz or C2D say 6700(which is the best in the series I believe) w/o oc it btw. Surely the P4 will win as the game only uses single core...?

Last edited by rabee2789b (2007-04-22 07:06:48)

max
Vela Incident

rabee2789b wrote:

i have a question, it doesn't do with this topic though, but I am gonna ask anyway.
Which one provide a better performance on games such as BF2......P4 3GHz or C2D say 6700(which is the best in the series I believe) w/o oc it btw. Surely the P4 will win as the game only uses single core...?
C2Ds absolutely destroy P4s.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6419

max wrote:

rabee2789b wrote:

I would like to know the reason please...?
max
Vela Incident

rabee2789b wrote:

max wrote:

rabee2789b wrote:

I would like to know the reason please...?
way more efficient microarchitecture. A C2D will do a lot more work with each clock cycle than a P4. Also having a second core will not cause any performance issues with single threaded applications (like bf2). In fact you get a slight performance increase as all the background tasks can run on the second core.
The#1Spot
+105|6510|byah

pirana6 wrote:

At the risk of being flamed into oblivion, I would like a serious answer to this question.
I know the idea of it (at extra power to you cpu/gpu/etc. and it'll run better/faster/etc.) but I've never actually spent the time to do it.

What do I have to do? Go into bios I think? But what after that? Is it hard?

What are the risks? I know that if you do it too much your component will overheat and you'll have to buy a new one, but is that only if you do it TOO much. Can you do it a little and get a little better performance as to decrease risk?

How much cooling do you need? I had planned on getting around to doing it when I got the money for a liquid cooling system but can I do it with fans? What's the risk of doing it with fans?

Here's my comp: (Again, flame away all you want about my computer, it's a year old and that all the money I had, but I just want to know how to OC)

CPU
CPU fan
Video card
Case (it has all fans)     <---------- 4 days old!

KARMA FOR GOOD ANSWERS!
If you are asking on how to over clock do not do it. If you mess up one thing it may cost you 100s of dollars in repair.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard