Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6751|Singapore
Currently taking my driving license and i need some tips for manual transmission. Why is the gas pedal so soft? Do i have to learn to maintain my rpm between 1-1.5? If i go below 1 the engine will stall right. When i move off, why do i need to hit the clutch? Is it because the engine needs to be running? And stopping too, whenever i dont hit the clutch the engine stops.
wachtler83
+22|6604|Columbus,Ohio
slowly release the clutch while barley pushing gas should give you a relatively smooth start and you should always use the clutch since your a beginner you can learn to drive with out a clutch later
LT.Victim
+1,175|6580|British Columbia, Canada
Google man..

http://www.standardshift.com/faq.html

The best way to find out how to shift, is to just try it.. You'll learn pretty fast what your doing wrong, just don't try  it on a expensive car
Invaderzim
Chicken wing?
+49|6466|Newcastle NSW Australia
You always need to use a clutch. The best way to learn is just get out their and do it.

Last edited by Invaderzim (2007-04-22 00:19:47)

kripp
+42|6759|Florida (305)
Practice at first releasing the clutch super slow till u feel the car moving, then give it a little gas at the same time while your slowly letting go of the clutch. Wait till u feel the car moving before u give it gas. practice that till u get the hang of it.

Last edited by kripp (2007-04-22 00:19:16)

R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6504|Melbourne

Push the Clutch in with your foot, put it in gear, rev it as high as possible and let go of the clutch as fast as possible.  For added effect do this at traffic lights.
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
SEMPER
+4|6477

wachtler83 wrote:

slowly release the clutch while barley pushing gas should give you a relatively smooth start
relative to what?

When ur learning u need someone who has their license in the car with you. why dont u ask them these questions?
Everlast
+3|6248

R3v4n wrote:

Push the Clutch in with your foot, put it in gear, rev it as high as possible and let go of the clutch as fast as possible.  For added effect do this at traffic lights.
what he said is the easiest way, for beginners. Also try on dirt roads and hills.
Drunken_Tankdriver
+81|6670

R3v4n wrote:

Also try on dirt roads and hills.
Dont do that untill you have experience with the clutch. Hills especially make it harder to take off and you WILL kill the engine.
https://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/acebigmack.png
sgtdude1987
+8|6235|midlands britain
top tip - get lessons! dont worry about it, once you've done it once your away.
_raab
+28|6251|Western Aust.
Learn the theory first, then go practice.

When the clucth is engaged (clutch fully raised, foot off clutch) it allows the power to transfer from the engine to the transmission and to the drive wheels so the car is able to accelerate and travel at a constant speed. When the clutch is disengaged (all the way down) it allows the engine to turn, without the power being transferred to the wheels. So when it's disengaged you can rev (push accelerator) the shit outta it, and wont go anywhere. So when you slowly raise the clutch  and apply a slight force to the accelerator, the gearbox slowly engages and the cogs n shit slowly come together and you start to accelerate. Further reading and niftly little diagram: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm
Try raising the clutch really really slowly in first gear. Eventaully it will start moving forward very slowly and labouring (struggling because theres no power and its about to stall). So from there you realise you gotta apply some power, accelerate!

Thats the theory part to it, so if you read and understand that it might help. I guess it would have helped me a bit more, but the best way to learn is to go and try it for yourself, and BE CONFIDENT. If all those other road raging crazy assholes can get their licenses then you can too. (I'm aware some don't have a license lol)

Yah, terrible guide. Screw you im going to bed.
Sarrk
O-O-O A-O A
+788|6673|Brisbane, Australia

Drive on the sidewalk. It'll impress your teachers.
bennisboy
+829|6664|Poundland

Drunken_Tankdriver wrote:

R3v4n wrote:

Also try on dirt roads and hills.
Dont do that untill you have experience with the clutch. Hills especially make it harder to take off and you WILL kill the engine.
I found hill starts easy when I was learning.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6775|Argentina
Don't be a woman.
BVC
+325|6713
Every car is different.  It'd be a good idea to practise with a few.  Something that may help: Find an empty outdoor carpark or similar flat area and practise moving out of neutral into first, maybe then second, come to a stop then repeat.

My shitbox is a 1983 corona, old old beastie but its reliable, seems to like gear changes best at 2.5-3.5K RPM.
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6372

R3v4n wrote:

shame roflmao You will go to hell. Gives his first karma
Milk.org
Bringing Sexy Back
+270|6794|UK
I didn't realise until recently alot of Americans drive Automatics is the standard test in the USA in an automatic car or a manual transmission? Over here in the UK I don't know anyone with an automatic.
davidonbf2
Banned
+19|6240
relax and pay attention, and never speed.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6648|Washington, DC

Buy a car with paddle shifters =p
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6734
Learn from our resident leb, Jestar, who knows everything from tuning mufflers to installing fullay sick subwoofers.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
']['error
Banned
+630|6662|The Netherlands
dont brake for granny's, they give you +20 bonus points
jamesb
Joined BF2s in November 2005
+133|6742|Doncaster, England
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6751|Singapore
Thanks for the replies. I guess i have to get used to clutch coordination and the pressure of the gas pedal. Yesterday i saw a Porsche 911 Turbo S going at 120kmh on the expressway, damn he was fast and the engine was pretty loud. I bet hes some crazy driver who treats driving like GTA.
pantyhamster1
+0|6239
Its simple.as you slowly raise the clutch ,there is a grabbing point.you can actually make the car move with out giving it gas by hovering the clutch at the grabbing point.if you give gas prior to the grabbing point that's called slipping the clutch.The gas doesn't need to be pressed til you reach the grabbing point in the clutch.So ,rise the clutch ,when you feel it grab,begin the transition.press the gas slowly at the clutch grabbing point.When you raise the clutch ,you will feel the grabbing point when the car beings to move.At this point lightly press the gas and finish raising the clutch all the way.to shift into sencond,reverse the process.depress the gas and press the clutch,shift,then repeat step one.Hint:go to a dealer ship and practice on one of there cars.Have your dad or mom take a stick for extended test drive.go with them and get them to let you practice.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6307|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

Oh no, another block-of-text post by pantyhamster.
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard