Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6428|North Carolina
Assuming the media is mostly liberal, do you watch conservative media to balance things out?  Do you trust Fox News to give you a more balanced or realistic perspective on the world's events?

How do you keep your own biases from distorting what you accept as reality?
Jet Blast
Banned
+15|6257
MSNBC has Imus and the nappy ho's FTW.
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6656|USA
Bf2s is my news source....

....wait for laughter...

Not!

I do both NBC and Fox.
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6475|Cambridge, UK

All news has an agenda these days... either political, religious, entertainment/shock value, etc.

its not good.
acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6715|NAS Jacksonville, Florida
I watch/read various biased sources and piece together things myself from all of the networks.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6417|The Gem Saloon
i watch all sorts of different news shows.
at the end of the day i put all the information that i have gathered together and then make my own decision.
An Enlarged Liver
+35|6766|Backward Ass Kansas
Duh, Fox news and praying.  Sheesh, some people.

Really though I can't for the life of me remember how I used to rationalize things before Fox came around.

Last edited by An Enlarged Liver (2007-04-09 17:14:48)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6428|North Carolina

An Enlarged Liver wrote:

Duh, Fox news and praying.  Sheesh, some people.
Colbert fan, eh?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6655|949

its called not watching "news" shows.  Read on the internet.  Fuck, read Newseek or US News and World Reports.

I subscribe to (or need to update my subscription to) - theNation, Atlantic Monthly, Newsweek, US News and World Reports, FP (Foreign Policy) magazine

I read on the webz - FPIP (Foreign Policy in Focus), FAS.org, GlobalSecurity.org, indymedia.com, DemocracyNow.org, Progressive Response, Z Magazine...

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2007-04-09 17:20:38)

konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6573|CH/BR - in UK

If you watch media biased both ways, you can usually balance it out yourself, by getting all the facts.

-konfusion
Hunter/Jumper
+117|6377
just some of my observations

Reagans New Tax plan is refereed to with laughter as " Reaganomics " on all the Networks, when its effects start to kick in with fantastic results, its only refferd to as " the recovery "

In 1992 when G.H. Bush ( a bonafied War Hero, Veteran, The Youngest Navy Aviator ) Faced a

Draft dodger bill clinton who had even written his elected officials a letter stating that "he loathed the military"
The media tells the electorate " People don't care about that and don't want to know about the candidates past "
and "Character doesn't matter "

In 1996 when  a bonafied War Hero Bob Dole ( a disabled American veteran, Wounded in action )
Faced a Draft dodger bill clinton who had even written his elected officials a letter stating that "he loathed the military"
The media tells the electorate "People don't care about that and don't want to know about the candidates past " ( I did) and "Character doesn't matter "

In 2000 when a Vietnam era vet who never saw combat Faced a Vietnam era vet who saw combat limited combat   

This was suddenly of the most importance. John kerry's Combat experience!

We never saw John kerry on the Dick Cavet Show calling his "Band of Brothers " War Criminals, Why ?.

in 1992  Ross Perot bleeds conservative votes from G H Bush allowing bill clinton to get in without a majority vote. A rarity. Its hailed as a landslide, it wasn't.

It was never mentioned his candidacy would have this effect on the air. Nor is the candidate for the Liberal party Ron Brown ever mentioned because he would cost clinton liberal votes if his candidacy is validated by the media.

and 1996 Ross Perot bleeds conservative votes from Bob Dole . It is never mentioned The phrase republicans are mean spirited is coin and repeated 3678 times on news programs in one week alone ( lockstep ? )

In 2000 and 2004 when Ralph Nader runs ( all the major networks ) carefully walk the electorate through the fact that " any vote for Nader is a vote for bush "

In 1994 election when Republicans sweep the house and senate in the first time in 40 plus years,

Newsman are stoic professionals the 1994 republican sweep of the house and senate No cheering. The day after they conclude the and state "American electorate is schizophrenic and does not know what they want."

in 1992 and 96 they cheer as states come in for clinton
No cheers for Bush either. in 2000 or 04

Before the 2006 election The media kept a steady count of American Casualties with emphasis on " casualties after G.W.Bush's mission accomplished speech on the Aircraft Carrier "  In reality the cessation of major hostilities.
Ps the Aircraft Carrier left I guess its mission was accomplished.

The 2000 and 2004 vote were closely scrutinized and hints of scandal were taken very seriously. After the democrats eeked out a majority in some very close elections that the media saw no need to question The count.
The count is "no longer news really "

In the 2006 elections in the last 6 days of campaigning Many networks advertise they will be showing important new war footage. Its the old " Juba The sniper Video " that was on the Internet for almost a year but they showed it Right before the election Repeatedly. After the election they didn't show casualties at all. Oddly enough I never here of even one terrorist dying, they have non casualties at all? we never hear about our heros..why?

Was not democrat Barney Frank caught in an identical Paige scandal That republican Mark Foley was?   

Barney Frank Molests his pages that's okay, Foley is run out of office for same offense.
After pushing Gays for so long democrats run them off when they come out? Without protest from the left?

Katie Curic  interviews a hero lady cop in a hospital bed after is wounded in a gunfight with 3 would be bank robbers Who she smartly dispatched with fine pistol work.

Katie, Gushing : !" well you must be happy that the Brady bill passed "
hero lady cop : " No that just impedes honest people by making it harder to protect themselves, it wont impede criminals who don't follow laws and never get their guns legally anyway "

Interview instantly ends, cut to bryant gumball who was not expecting to be put on the air so soon and was obviously unprepared, he just stared slack jawed. She got no further mention, she betrayed them.

after several weeks on end of European tourist being assaulted and robbed at Florida airports ( on their way to Disney World) NBC news sent down a reporter.

Katie Curic asks : "why are they targeting only tourist now ?"
Local DA answers : " well in a fit of frustration in its inability to fight crime, Florida just greatly relaxed its concealed
carry gun laws making it much easier for honest citizens to protect themselves, Our  crime rate really dropped of and these dirt bags know the only people they can approach safely are people who just passed through a metal detector, "laughs" "

interview abruptly ends

The success of  Florida's greatly relaxed concealed carry gun laws making it much easier for honest citizens to
protect themselves and instantly and drastically reducing crime? Well, that's just not news is it.

Phil Donahue asks a women how she saved herself from a disgruntle employee on a killing spree.

She answers "My friend said " get the gun in your purse "he heard that and spun and bolted down the hall, I always carry a gun, once A guy tried to rape me." A roaring Cheer goes up from the audience.

Phil (very angry) yells "that's another show " repeatedly till cries `die down. Obviously not what he was looking to promote. not the agenda.

Hollywood,. knowing the masses often like to coach their heroes at the movies rewrites the history of

"The Fort William Henry Massacre "

No longer did French let Indians butcher babies with tomahawks inside the fort after the French asked the militia to turn in their arms which they foolishly did.

In Hollywood, it was a fair fight in open ground were the British just didn't think to fix bayonets, after all, the Indians were yelling loudly and making scary noises !.

Actor Skeet Urlrich is told no more NRA adds or No more work. more to follow.
G3|Genius
Pope of BF2s
+355|6649|Sea to globally-cooled sea
drudge report for me

it's a good source.  www.drudgereport.com

Last edited by G3|Genius (2007-04-09 17:53:18)

Ridir
Semper Fi!
+48|6787
I get a lot of news from the Marine Corps, watch some TV (NBC, CNN, FOX, etc.), read a lot of articles online and pick up the New York Times (highly liberal some days) at school.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6368|Twyford, UK
I watch the BBC, they have an enforced neutral viewpoint.

Otherwise, I check the recent events thingy on wikipedia when I go to look stuff up, check Wikinews occasionally, and listen to the news on my radio station.

It's that, or I ignore the rest of the world. It works, though. I've been following the chad/sudan conflict since before the mainstream media picked it up.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard