ShoopDaWhoop
Banned
+53|6342

[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH wrote:

I used to be a big Sondico fan 10 or so years ago, but i feel Nike do a good glove these days. I'm going to try Sells out this weekend when i get a pair, so I will give feedback on that. Anyone used sells or selsports gloves?
Sells are really good gloves, I have had quite a few pairs in my time. I dont really like nike gloves cause they dont do roll fingers, well they didnt last time I looked for gloves.
bennisboy
+829|6655|Poundland
I know it ain't to do with goalkeeping, but on the subject of football, here's our official match report from sunday

Winchmore Hill 2 Old Owens 1
Southern Amateur League – Senior Division One
Saturday 3 February

This had everything.  Thrills, spills, cards, questionable behaviour and a baying crowd.  Still, enough about the Hill skipper’s birthday party, the game played out between these two old adversaries just hours before was every bit as action packed.

Owens brought their unbeaten league record to the Paulin Ground on Saturday knowing that a win would edge them ever closer to the title.  Hill, on the other hand were still reeling from two cup defeats that were bitter pills to swallow and their league campaign had long since faltered.  Still, with eight games left the AFA champions knew that they could still have a real impact on where the league crown ends up as the two sides lined up for their sixth meeting in ten months.

As expected, the match started off at a terrific pace with both sides looking to attack.  Much of the action was played out in a congested midfield area with neither team giving an inch.  Joe Bennis, Hill’s teenage starlet was beginning to enjoy some room down the flanks and from one such foray Hill should have gone in front only for Adam Graves to miss his kick with the goal gaping.  After stemming the flow of his nosebleed from being that far up the pitch he returned back to more familiar surroundings and did what he does best.  Owens had their moments too but rarely threatened Andy Carter’s goal and a scoreless first half was a fair reflection.

The blue touch paper was lit for the second half and it certainly went off.  Within just five minutes man of the match Bennis the Menace was at it again, causing Owens defenders problems with his blistering pace and he was unceremoniously kicked in the air.  Matthew Knights offered the referee his own opinions on what he thought of things and this soon escalated out of control when one yellow card was followed swiftly by another to make it a red.  Moments later Ricky Sutter was given too much room by a Hill side still trying to reorganise and he fired a superb shot into the top corner from long range.  A goal and a player down, things looked bleak for the home side.   

However rather than sitting back and waiting to be beaten Hill swiftly took the initiative and were soon level on both counts.  Neil Hurst clipped a fine ball in behind the Owens defence and Chris Davison nipped in front of both defender and keeper only to be upended by Brunning.  Red card for the professional foul and up stepped Davison to fire home an unstoppable spot kick.  Game on.

What resulted was a compelling game of football as the additional space meant for some fine attacking football from both teams.  The cards kept coming as well.  Kris McHale took his yellow card tally for the season level with his goals tally for the season while Rod Beyer was booked for the first time ever.  In the same incident Owens went down to nine players after some verbals.  Then for the match winner and when it arrived was a peach.  Peter Gyles always seems to save his best performances against his old school mates and this was no different.  Rumours that he is looking to follow David Beckham to the MLS to spend more time with his American Beauty were fuelled even further on Saturday after a performance that was less Andy Hinchcliffe and more Roberto Carlos. Without a first team goal in almost three years but with Gail blowing kisses from the sideline, the Hill defender went on a lung busting run almost the length of the pitch, swapping passes with Graves, Hurst and Beyer before coolly slotting home a deserved winner for the hosts.   

There were further chances for Hill to extend their lead while Carter made a fine save from Sutter but eventually the referee brought an end to proceedings.  Owens remain alongside Nottsborough as favourites for the title but Hill’s spirited display has given them reason to keep plugging away this term while the performance of Bennis bodes very well for the future as well as the present.
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6461|Bradford UK

KingCheese wrote:

"The Black Panther" Lev Yashin has to be the greatest 'keeper of all time.  I think one of the most underrated 'keepers of today though is Shay Given, nice to see a few folks tossing his name in there.
Shay Given demands respect i feel with the defenders he has. Yes it is nice to see an English 'keepers name in with the likes of schmeicel and cech to name but a few.
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6461|Bradford UK

ShoopDaWhoop wrote:

I used to be a big Sondico fan 10 or so years ago, but i feel Nike do a good glove these days. I'm going to try Sells out this weekend when i get a pair, so I will give feedback on that. Anyone used sells or selsports gloves?
Sells are really good gloves, I have had quite a few pairs in my time. I dont really like nike gloves cause they dont do roll fingers, well they didnt last time I looked for gloves.
Just got some  Adidas FS Replique fingersaves e5s generation. Smart. remind me of Uhlsport alot in the making, with the elasticated cuff and tight close fit. Kahn and Van der sar wear them.  I catch alot and sturdy on crosses. dont believe in punching, only as a last resort will i do that.
TheDarkRaven
ATG's First Disciple
+263|6633|Birmingham, UK
Let us end all the argument & all agree on one man now...

John O'Shea!

You cannot deny it!

Oh, and he's also great because he can score goals (even if he is a bit clumsy)!

I'm serious about that, but as the for you 'connoisseurs' of goal-keeping, I'd say Zuberbuhler! No, just kidding, I meant Peter Schmeichel - great 'keeper.

Last edited by TheDarkRaven (2007-02-05 12:03:31)

[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6461|Bradford UK

TheDarkRaven wrote:

Let us end all the argument & all agree on one man now...

John O'Shea!

You cannot deny it!

Oh, and he's also great because he can score goals (even if he is a bit clumsy)!

I'm serious about that, but as the for you 'connoisseurs' of goal-keeping, I'd say Zuberbuhler! No, just kidding, I meant Peter Schmeichel - great 'keeper.
LOL u mad m8. was a good game tho eh. john o shea in front of the onion bag!!
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6499|Gogledd Cymru

KingCheese wrote:

"The Black Panther" Lev Yashin has to be the greatest 'keeper of all time.  I think one of the most underrated 'keepers of today though is Shay Given, nice to see a few folks tossing his name in there.
Shay Given demands respect i feel with the defenders he has. Yes it is nice to see an English 'keepers name in with the likes of schmeicel and cech to name but a few.
given is irish btw, (just a heads up)
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6461|Bradford UK

surgeon_bond wrote:

KingCheese wrote:

you know what i mean.   ok, european keeper then. dont tell the rest of the lads i said english tho....just our secret yeah.....(shhhhhhhhhhh)!
Surgeons

surgeon_bond wrote:

you know what i mean.   ok, european keeper then. dont tell the rest of the lads i said english tho....just our secret yeah.....(shhhhhhhhhhh)!
ok !!! my mouth is sealed, nobody will know as we were talking before how is the weather down there old chap, yes im alright for tea for now. (what we werent talking about goalkeepers)
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6461|Bradford UK
who is a goalkeeper!! what is a goalkeeper!! what forum is this!
Surgeons

who is a goalkeeper!! what is a goalkeeper!! what forum is this!
*whistles inconspicuously to himself* what ?! it was him ^^^^
ShoopDaWhoop
Banned
+53|6342
O SHEA, O SHEA
YOU'LL NEVER BEAT O'SHEA
YOU'LL NEVER BEAT O'SHEA
YOU'LL NEVER BEAT O'SHEA

that was funny as hell.
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6461|Bradford UK
Not too keen on the roll finger gloves myself as i dont see a need for it. You use the palm of you gloves for full contact ie catching/ parrying. Or fist for punching clear. At what point do you ever use the sides of your fingers? you'll probably break your fingers if you tries it. but then again i havent tried them. Am I wrong in my assumption that they are just for show? please give thoughts.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6765|Scotland

Not too keen on the roll finger gloves myself as i dont see a need for it. You use the palm of you gloves for full contact ie catching/ parrying. Or fist for punching clear. At what point do you ever use the sides of your fingers? you'll probably break your fingers if you tries it. but then again i havent tried them. Am I wrong in my assumption that they are just for show? please give thoughts.
Yes you are wrong. The surface area of your palm is greatly increased with the roll finger gloves, plus you have a more comfortable catching area. The fact is, you may use your palm to catch the balls all the time, but your fingers are ever moving, therefore the rollfingers give you a better chance at catching the ball as your finger spread will allowing a wider catching area.
Just look at all the goalkeepers using Rollfinger now ... Most of Sells gloves are rollfinger, and they are the most used gloves in the Premiership. Many people use T90 gunn cuts and hopefully Adidas will revert to Rollfinger on their fingersaves just like Uhlsport is doing.
I have had many gloves and to be frank, rollfinger are the best.
I have the most expensive pair of retail gloves out there ( £70 ), the Uhlsport Supportframe Lite, they are not rollfinger. Kust a few days ago I got the Gunn Cuts at £55, and they surpass the catching ability and feel of the Uhls. Although I like AbsolutGrip,  the problem is.... they don't have a good pair of rollfingers.
ShoopDaWhoop
Banned
+53|6342

Zimmer wrote:

Yes you are wrong. The surface area of your palm is greatly increased with the roll finger gloves, plus you have a more comfortable catching area. The fact is, you may use your palm to catch the balls all the time, but your fingers are ever moving, therefore the rollfingers give you a better chance at catching the ball as your finger spread will allowing a wider catching area.
Just look at all the goalkeepers using Rollfinger now ... Most of Sells gloves are rollfinger, and they are the most used gloves in the Premiership. Many people use T90 gunn cuts and hopefully Adidas will revert to Rollfinger on their fingersaves just like Uhlsport is doing.
I have had many gloves and to be frank, rollfinger are the best.
I have the most expensive pair of retail gloves out there ( £70 ), the Uhlsport Supportframe Lite, they are not rollfinger. Kust a few days ago I got the Gunn Cuts at £55, and they surpass the catching ability and feel of the Uhls. Although I like AbsolutGrip,  the problem is.... they don't have a good pair of rollfingers.
Glad someone explained it before I had to. They're also so much more comfortable. My hands feel a lot more protected when I'm wearing a pair of them compared to normal gloves. I will only wear roll fingers and have been doing so for the last 11 years.
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6461|Bradford UK
Thanks shoop and zimmer for analysis. I may try them then. Im off football training tonight and will try out my new Adidas E5S, i will provide feedback. cant wait tbh. Apologies with my wrong analysis of the rollfingers.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6765|Scotland

ShoopDaWhoop wrote:

Nike T90 Gunn Cut Goalkeeper Gloves
Nike T90 Gunn Cut Black/White/Red Goalkeeper Gloves

Best gloves I have ever tried, and I have been through all the sells roll and selsport.
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6461|Bradford UK
ALL GK's please try the E5s range of Adidas. thay are awesome. i tried them in training tonight and the durability is very impressive. one spit and absorbtion is effective immediately. catchint and parrying is immense. Please try these.
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6461|Bradford UK
Lets talk about one on ones. What do you do to put off a striker on a one on one? i jump up and down whilst flailing my arms and 'lunge at feet' at last possible minute. what do you gk's do?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6765|Scotland

Not that, that is for sure.
I hang onto my line until the last possible minute, until the striker is thinking that he has an esy shot on goal. Then I charge at him full force and close down the angle. Or I dive onto the ball.
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6461|Bradford UK
i stay near my line if its bouncing and let the bounce go b4 i come out. otherwise as you know, its the old lob. Have you ever scored a goal in a game for your team? i mean like in a league match or cup match. I went up for a corner once with 5 minutes to go, ball bounced around in area defender swung at it, it fell to me edge of box, /BANG? 1-1. not a win i know but not a loss. i was the fkn uber hero that day!!!  Against local rivals also. What about you 'keepers?
TheLostOne
+11|6521
I'm back.

Usually I'd cut down the angle in hope of a defender cutting it out, then force him as wide as possible and wait for the touch that is a bit too far in front of him and pounce. I defend in the same way. Usually works.
IBleedGravy
+3|6400|Richmond

Calling all goalkeepers (football/soccer) in these forums. who in your opinion is the best 'keeper of all time? I know there are a few goalkeepers in here. I am one too. I know the goalkeepers union stands up for each other, so I know this will be a good conversation. 
   please tell me your fave 'keepers.
Peter Schmeichel FTW
ShoopDaWhoop
Banned
+53|6342

Zimmer wrote:

I hang onto my line until the last possible minute, until the striker is thinking that he has an esy shot on goal. Then I charge at him full force and close down the angle. Or I dive onto the ball.
no no no no  no!!!

haha. The only time a goalkeeper should be on his line is when a penalty is being taken. If there was one thing I learnt whilst at the academy I was at, it was never to stay on my line.

If you commit to getting the ball, make sure you get it. Otherwise you are fucked, you either give away a penalty or he takes it around you. Stay on your feet as long as possible and dont go to ground to quickly.

If you are facing a one on one where the striker is in control of the ball, you force him in to shooting by narrowing the angle and giving him less to aim at.

If the striker is chasing a through ball lets say, you make the decision whether to stay or go, if you go you must get the ball, if you stay, you best do the above^^

Now I'm not sure about you other goalkeepers, but from the age of 9 I was regularily going to residential courses especially for goalkeepers, run by professional goalkeeping coaches (fred barber - was the bolton GK coach for a while and Malcom Webster - was at ipswich and then bolton I think - he got me into chester city when I was 13)

I think I've been on 6 of them and countless other local 2 day ones. I've trained with Robert Green (england and norwich) Richard Wright (england and everton) Jussi Jaaskelainen (finland and bolton) Brian Gunn, Neville Southall and Tony Coton (man utd GK coach). My cousin is also a pro goalkeeper and has been at ipswich, norwich and now coventry.

Last edited by ShoopDaWhoop (2007-02-07 19:03:10)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6765|Scotland

ShoopDaWhoop wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

no no no no  no!!!

haha. The only time a goalkeeper should be on his line is when a penalty is being taken. If there was one thing I learnt whilst at the academy I was at, it was never to stay on my line.

If you commit to getting the ball, make sure you get it. Otherwise you are fucked, you either give away a penalty or he takes it around you. Stay on your feet as long as possible and dont go to ground to quickly.

If you are facing a one on one where the striker is in control of the ball, you force him in to shooting by narrowing the angle and giving him less to aim at.

If the striker is chasing a through ball lets say, you make the decision whether to stay or go, if you go you must get the ball, if you stay, you best do the above^^

Now I'm not sure about you other goalkeepers, but from the age of 9 I was regularily going to residential courses especially for goalkeepers, run by professional goalkeeping coaches (fred barber - was the bolton GK coach for a while and Malcom Webster - was at ipswich and then bolton I think - he got me into chester city when I was 13)

I think I've been on 6 of them and countless other local 2 day ones. I've trained with Robert Green (england and norwich) Richard Wright (england and everton) Jussi Jaaskelainen (finland and bolton) Brian Gunn, Neville Southall and Tony Coton (man utd GK coach). My cousin is also a pro goalkeeper and has been at ipswich, norwich and now coventry.
Ok, you got me wrong here, I am never on my line in the first place, but I don't charge down the player until I know I am the only one who can.
I shut down the angle, and then run towards him, but if he stop because he has seen me charge, I hang back a little so if he takes the shot I have a chance to parry it or save it. If he keeps on charging I will lunge at his feet or make myself big infront of him. I barely go to ground as most of the strikers think they have a chance to slip a shot in, but when I do I only go down once when I am sure I can stop him getting past.
I will automatically close down the angle, without thinking about it, so what I meant by "on my line" I really meant that I was not going to over commit and charge at the guy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard