JoeFriday
Git 'Er Dun
+23|6439|Canada
I believe that without a doubt Peter Schmichael is one of the best goalkeepers of all time.  He has probably had more successful of a career that any other goalkeeper in all of Europe.  Now as far as keepers that are still playing i'd would have to say that Petr Cech is the best.  Allthough there are many other goalkeepers that are looking very good this season like Jens Lehmann (probably the best season he's ever had) Edwin Van Der Sar, and Ricardo.

Heres a picture of me in action.  Its a picture of me making a save on a PK up in a tournament in Muskoka, we went on to win in a shootout in the finals
https://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q13/JoeFridaySGT/09878890.jpg

Last edited by JoeFriday (2007-02-04 13:59:45)

[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6450|Bradford UK

JoeFriday wrote:

I believe that without a doubt Peter Schmichael is one of the best goalkeepers of all time.  He has probably had more successful of a career that any other goalkeeper in all of Europe.  Now as far as keepers that are still playing i'd would have to say that Petr Cech is the best.  Allthough there are many other goalkeepers that are looking very good this season like Jens Lehmann (probably the best season he's ever had) Edwin Van Der Sar, and Ricardo.

Heres a picture of me in action.  Its a picture of me making a save on a PK up in a tournament in Muskoka, we went on to win in a shootout in the finals
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q13/ … 878890.jpg
Forward movement!!! naughty naughty, tut tut tut. What would the FA say!!
OakLeaves
Banned
+70|6314|Newcastle UK
One name, One eye : Gordan Banks
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6450|Bradford UK

ShoopDaWhoop wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

That last comment.... hurt me, it hurt me bad.
Out of interest, what were your last pair of gloves? I just got the new T90 Gunn Cut, had the new Uhlsports Lites.
You should start up again, I can't stop, it's addictive.
I did, started again last summer after a year off, then couldnt really get to training plus we were a new team, with awesome players and destroying teams 5-10 nil every weekend, I hated going from playing on ipswich's training ground to some muddy field with fat old men so I kinda let it go.

Maybe this summer I will try and find something good.

I use adidas fingertips, I love the roll finger design and since my Cousin is sponsored by Adidas I can get them all the time.

Back in the day I once had 18 pairs of gloves and 12 pairs of boots (two pairs of custom Total 90's, tonnes of predators and a few pairs of world cups)

I used the Uhlsport ones carlo cudochini used to use for a while, they were good till it got to winter then they became useless really.
I used to be a big Sondico fan 10 or so years ago, but i feel Nike do a good glove these days. I'm going to try Sells out this weekend when i get a pair, so I will give feedback on that. Anyone used sells or selsports gloves?
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6450|Bradford UK

OakLeaves wrote:

One name, One eye : Gordan Banks
Lmao. +1 for you my boy.
The Magic Mullet
+240|6423
Neville Southall.
OakLeaves
Banned
+70|6314|Newcastle UK
I used to play football alot and was a goal keeper for my school. After that i joined a ice hockey team and my team won the nationals with me net minding
The Magic Mullet
+240|6423

TheLostOne wrote:

Knightnifer wrote:

[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH wrote:

oliver kahn is a quality goalkeeper, very steady and commanding of his box. an awesome presence on corners, like jens lehmann. i feel petr cech is probably the best 'keeper at the mo in the world. any thoughts?
Yeah i go with cech, but the old Liverpool goalie (i can't remember) was fantastic.
I think he was Portugals goalie in the world cup?
Maybe you mean Dudek (Poland)?
He only plays cup matches now, dropped the game after he won the Champions League - replaced by good old Jose Reina (Spain)
Dudek and Reina are both a pile of toss. Very average keepers at best.
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6450|Bradford UK
I used to rate Dudek as a commanding and confident 'keeper. But hes done nothing lately as hes (obviously) not 1st choice anymore. Reina is a good goalkeeper on his day. Commanding Assertive and good on crosses. A good shot stopper, not the greatest keeper ever, but reliable. /thoughts?
The Magic Mullet
+240|6423

I used to rate Dudek as a commanding and confident 'keeper. But hes done nothing lately as hes (obviously) not 1st choice anymore. Reina is a good goalkeeper on his day. Commanding Assertive and good on crosses. A good shot stopper, not the greatest keeper ever, but reliable. /thoughts?
Reliable?

Simon Cowell wrote:

It's a no from me.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6347|Belfast
well, im a keeper!

how bout buffon?
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6450|Bradford UK

The Magic Mullet wrote:

Reliable?

Simon Cowell wrote:

It's a no from me.
LOL trust you to find that.....i was hoping and praying that wasnt brought up! nice find though. Good old Andy Johnson with the old trusty right peg. One mistake doesnt necessarily make a bad 'keeper though. We all remember the mistakes, but seem to forget good saves.
The Magic Mullet
+240|6423
Top 5 of all time (in no order):

Lev Yashin
Peter Schmeichel
Neville Southall
Dino Zoff
Peter Shilton
The Magic Mullet
+240|6423

The Magic Mullet wrote:

Reliable?

Simon Cowell wrote:

It's a no from me.
LOL trust you to find that.....i was hoping and praying that wasnt brought up! nice find though. Good old Andy Johnson with the old trusty right peg. One mistake doesnt necessarily make a bad 'keeper though. We all remember the mistakes, but seem to forget good saves.
I disagree, he was promising for his first half a dozen games or so at Liverpool but has since just been very fortunate to play in front of such a good defense.
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6450|Bradford UK

The Magic Mullet wrote:

The Magic Mullet wrote:

Reliable?

I disagree, he was promising for his first half a dozen games or so at Liverpool but has since just been very fortunate to play in front of such a good defense.
Hmmmm interesting thought m8. I agree liverpool have a good defense and this we all know makes a keepers life more comfortable. Mind you, name a liverpool side that ever had a bad defense.
The Magic Mullet
+240|6423

The Magic Mullet wrote:

Hmmmm interesting thought m8. I agree liverpool have a good defense and this we all know makes a keepers life more comfortable. Mind you, name a liverpool side that ever had a bad defense.
Look no further than around 1992/93.

Torben Piechnik, Istvan Kozma, Stig Inge Bjornebye...etc. Although the entire Liverpool squad was shite back then. The Souness effect!
OakLeaves
Banned
+70|6314|Newcastle UK
I think Shay Given does a great job since the toon doesnt have any good defensive players.
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6450|Bradford UK
in general over the years liverpool have churned out more great defenses than you and me had hot sunday dinners put together m8. Im a Man Utd fan saying that as well......and it hurts! But its the truth.
[=][=]DADDYOFDEATH
+46|6450|Bradford UK
Lol anyone remember Massimo Taibi!!!!    Also Fabian (Fabulous.....Not) Barthez.   I'm glad we got rid of him between the sticks.
The Magic Mullet
+240|6423

in general over the years liverpool have churned out more great defenses than you and me had hot sunday dinners put together m8. Im a Man Utd fan saying that as well......and it hurts! But its the truth.
In the 70s and 80s they had one of the best defenses in the world. They were dire throughout the 90s (Phil Babb, Julian Dicks, John Scales.....).

Jamie Carragher is a big reason that they concede so few goals now.
MrE`158
+103|6622

OakLeaves wrote:

I think Shay Given does a great job since the toon doesnt have any good defensive players.
Given's a good keeper, I'd love to see what he'd be able to do if he actually had some defenders in front of him, rather than the wasters that play defence for Newcastle.

All time #1?  I think I'd have to go with Schmeichel.  Keepers from before his time come from a less totally professional era, without many of the sport-science advances of recent years.  He had every skill you could ask for in a keeper, and was an extraordinary commanding presence.  He was also instrumental in outright winning matches for United by turning defence into attack faster than anyone else ever did, or has since.

Shame he played for United, though...
delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6751
The best Goalkeeper in the world =
https://www.kitsune.addr.com/LCF/goalkeeper.jpg

Last edited by delta4bravo*nl* (2007-02-05 07:48:22)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6754|Scotland

Reina is probably one of the worst keepers I have experienced, on par with Robinson.
Why did Barcelona throw out Reina? You don't even want to know the  errors he made.

Daddyofdeath, I have had a pair of Selsports, they are comfortable, but incredibly restricting, shit finger spines and average grip. The best so far are the nike gloves for overall feel and contact with the ball, closely followed by uhlsport and then Sells.
Sells just doesnt do it for me, they are pretty average gloves, only used by many people because the trend got started off. But it is your feeling for the ball that makes your gloves, it highly depends on what kind of keeper you are. Do you catch the ball? Or do you palm it away? Or do you punch it away?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6754|Scotland

MrE`158 wrote:

OakLeaves wrote:

Given's a good keeper, I'd love to see what he'd be able to do if he actually had some defenders in front of him, rather than the wasters that play defence for Newcastle.

All time #1?  I think I'd have to go with Schmeichel.  Keepers from before his time come from a less totally professional era, without many of the sport-science advances of recent years.  He had every skill you could ask for in a keeper, and was an extraordinary commanding presence.  He was also instrumental in outright winning matches for United by turning defence into attack faster than anyone else ever did, or has since.

Shame he played for United, though...
That is a HUGE generalisation that is incorrect on most views. Keepers of THAT era had not amazing latex gloves to help them, not special protective padding inside the keepers jumpers, heavier balls to deal with and WERE GENERALLY SMALLER. Why? Because the last generation is smaller than this one.
Your facts are incorrect. Get them right, then you may generalise.
Football in THAT era was much more physical and exhausting, it was a harder game altogether. That is why people don't like comparing Pele to Ronaldinho. Why? Because football was not as we see it today.

You cannot comment on "profesionalism" when all keepers were professional at their level. How come the most prestigious award that can be given to a goalkeeper is the "Lev Yashin Award"? Because that man was a god in himself, and he had most odds against him, goalkeeping back then was not as highly regarded as it is now, but it is still the same game.
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6583|England
"The Black Panther" Lev Yashin has to be the greatest 'keeper of all time.  I think one of the most underrated 'keepers of today though is Shay Given, nice to see a few folks tossing his name in there.
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard