Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6596|Greenwood, IN
https://i9.tinypic.com/2najt44.png

Your Vista Q&A

Updated: June 22, 2008

Q: Which version do I want, 32-bit or 64-bit?
A: Well it depends, are you going to be running 64-bit applications or not?  Windows Vista 64-bit is backwards computable with 32-bit applications but not 16-bit applications.  Some installers for 32-bit programs use 16-bit installers.  If you are not going to be running 64-bit applications then just stick with 32-bit version. [ Source ]

Q: Which package of Windows Vista should I get?
A: Well you got three choices.  Basic, Premium, and ultimate.  Basic, being for people who are usually do light work on their PC and or do not want any extras that come with the other too. Premium, is Basic with some extra features, Aero Glass and such.  Ultimate have features from the business end of Vista and have the features of Premium. [ Source ]

Q: If I upgrade from XP to Vista, will all my programs be compatible?
A: No, some XP programs are not compatible with VIsta!  See a list here.

Q: Where do I get graphics card drivers?
A: ATi drivers can be found here.  nVidia drivers can be found here.  Both companies have released official drivers for Vista.

Q: Where do I get motherboard drivers?
A: You will need to check with your motherboard manufacture to get the correct Vista drivers if avaible.

Q: I have a Creative sound card is their drivers for Vista yet.
A: From the looks of it they do have some Vista drivers for Creative products. Check here.

Q: When will the Creative X-Fi ExtremeAudio 64-bit drivers be released?
A: "As soon as we [Creative] can". This is supposedly because the X-Fi Audio has a different chip structure than the other X-Fi cards. Sit tight for the 64's. [ source ]

Q: Will Vista support floppy disk drives?
A: Yes

Q: Will games still work on Vista 32-bit and 64-bit?
A: Yes, most 32-bit games will work with Vista 32 and 64-bit.  However some games will need some editing before working correctly and their our some performance issues w/ DirectX 9 backwards compatibility. [ Source | Source ]

Q: Is OEM version the same as retail version of Windows Vista.
A: The Vista OEM versions will allow a user either to do a fresh installation, or to upgrade their previous Windows XP installation. [ Source ]

Q: If I don't have a 64-bit processor, is there any point in upgrading?
A: Yes if you have at least an 800Mhz CPU. Running 32-bit code is still going to be around for a while. [ Source ]

Q: If I'm not willing to shell out for DX10 graphics card, is there any point in upgrading?
A: As of right now DX10 cards are not cheap enough to make it worth your effort.  However nVidia is Q1 and Q2 will be releasing more G80 series cards.  Such as the 8300GT and 8600GT/GT Ultra.

Q: How much RAM does Vista need? What are System Requirements?
A: A min of 512MB of RAM is need.  You can find the system requirements here.

Q: BF2, BF2:SF, and BF2142 keeps saying failed to install please start from the beginning, what do I do?
A: Go to My Computer > Explore DVD > Right click on setup.exe and select properties > Click the compatibility tab > check Run Compatibility mode and select Windows XP SP2 > Click OK then run setup.

Q: So exactly when will the 64-bit full driver support be available for Vista 64?
A: The earliest is Q2 2007, or anywhere between now and the end of March [ Source ] also check out Q1, Q2, etc explained

Q: Does the N52 speedpad support Vista 64 bit?
A: We do not have drivers for 64bit OS yet we only support the OS shown in the manual and the box at the moment.

-----=====[ Resources ]=====-----

32-Bit Vs. 64-Bit
Versions Of Vista
Vista Software Compatibility List
Adobe Reader Install Error Fix

=====[ BF2 Installation Instructions for Vista ]=====

1. Install BF2 by setting the install.exe to XP emulation.
2. Install BF2 patch 1.41 no changes needed.
3. Install BF2:SF by setting the install.exe to XP emulation.
4. Install BF2:EF no changes needed.
5. Install BF2:AF no changes needed.
6 Install BF2 patch 1.41 no changes needed.
7. Right click on shortcut > properties > click compatibility tab > check emulation for Windows XP > check "Run this program as an administrator." > Click Ok(Do this for both BF2 and BF2:SF!)
8. Play!!!

=====[ BF2142 Installation Instructions for Vista ]=====

1. Install BF2142 by setting the install.exe to XP emulation.
2. Install BF2142 patch 1.1 no changes needed.
3. Right click on shortcut > properties > click compatibility tab > check "Run this program as an administrator." > Click Ok
4. Play!!!

Note: The patches and addons were installed through EA Link and were installed on Vista 32-Bit!!!  If your running multi-core CPUs see above on how to disable "User Account Control".  This will allow you to select which CPU core to run the game on.  Makes for smooth game play!

-----=====[ Vista Drivers ]=====-----

-----[ Video ]-----

nVidia
ATi

-----[ Sound ]-----

Creative Sounds Cards

-----=====[ How To's ]=====-----

Disabling Account Control:
This is to stop all those annoying pop ups asking you if you want to run this or that.(So annoying...)
1. Click Start.
2. Click Control Panel.
3. User Accounts.
4. Click "Turn User Account Control on or off."
5. Uncheck "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer."
6. Click Ok and close everything.
7. Restart Computer.
Now all those annoying pop ups should be gone.  You can now even select which affinity(CPU core) to use on what programs!  I had to figure this out my self.

Enabling DreamScene:
1. Left Click Desktop
2. Select Prosonalize
3. Selct Desktop Background
3. Select "Windows DreamScene Content" in the pull down menu.
4. Choose your video/s and click apply.

Note: Only comes with Vista Ultimate.

Increase Overall Performance:
1. Click Start.
2. Click Control Panel.
3. Click System.
4. Click Advance System Settings.
5. Click Advance Tab.
6. Click Settings under Performance.
7. Deselect what you want to turn off.

Contributers: Bertster7, gvers, Hurricane, and Psycho.

Last edited by Naturn (2008-06-21 23:21:29)

Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6641|Keyboard
Q: Does it suck for gaming?
A: Absolutely.
ozzie_johnson
+98|6649|Penrith, N.S.W, Australia
this vista looks shit im gonna stick to my exp, it cant even run old games was reading a review on it on pc power play they bagged it.
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6630|Montreal, Qc, Canada
Vista sound great... but its expensiv.... the Ultimate is 499.99$CAN here, but it look awesome, the design is great, it very VERY better for protection and its made to use core duo... but for that price i will buy a new computer with vista allready all set up for me !

Still got to wait, Just like XP , Vista will probably have few problems at the begening but they will fix it fast!
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6596|Greenwood, IN
I agree but i'm still going to upgrade to 32bit version.  So does anyone have some real questions?
golgoj4
+51|6765|North Hollywood

Andoura wrote:

Vista sound great... but its expensiv.... the Ultimate is 499.99$CAN here, but it look awesome, the design is great, it very VERY better for protection and its made to use core duo... but for that price i will buy a new computer with vista allready all set up for me !

Still got to wait, Just like XP , Vista will probably have few problems at the begening but they will fix it fast!
uh...if you buy a new comp, they will still charge you for the OS. And now it looks like MAC osX woot As far as it being optimized for intel, thats great if i want to stick to intel (coughAMDcough) I do really hope the security is better and that a lot of the driver issues and whatnot are addressed for us gamers. im not pooping on vista, just hope it is better.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6663

Andoura wrote:

Buy Vista OEM, much cheaper.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6596|Greenwood, IN
Well depending on which version you get, the 64bit offers better security well cause its 64bit.
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6630|Montreal, Qc, Canada
Q: If i upgrade from Xp to Vista, does all my old programs are going to work ?
A: No! Some XP programs are not comptible with VIsta !
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6596|Greenwood, IN

Andoura wrote:

Q: If i upgrade from Xp to Vista, does all my old programs are going to work ?
A: No! Some XP programs are not comptible with VIsta !
lol i'll add it.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6558|NYC / Hamburg

also you might note that going for the business version might make sense. its like ultimate but lacks the media center stuff (which i dont need anyhow)
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
MagikTrik
yes.....but your still gay
+138|6362|Pittsburgh, PA USA
Even if it massages my manhood while I'm playing BF2 I still won't install it until SP1 comes out but I really appreciate the effort, +1

*Edit:*

The Karma Nazi wrote:

You may not karma the same person in a 24 hour period.
nvm, sorry

Last edited by MagikTrik (2007-02-01 03:02:49)

Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6596|Greenwood, IN
So anyone else have any questions?  I'm getting ready to install it my self.  Ask away I guess.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6439

Is the OEM vista Ultimate version, same as the retail version?  I mean apart from the OEM doesn't include a box or a manual( which I don't really need), is there anything else which is not part of the OEM version?
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6596|Greenwood, IN
Add the question and answer above.  Thanks for helping.  Anyone else want to step up?
aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6783
If I don't have a 64-bit processor, is there any point in upgrading?

If I'm not willing to shell out for DX10 graphics card, is there any point in upgrading?

If anyone can answer those questions sensibly with reasons why, I'll +1 the first decent answer to each.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6558|NYC / Hamburg

aardfrith wrote:

If I don't have a 64-bit processor, is there any point in upgrading?

If I'm not willing to shell out for DX10 graphics card, is there any point in upgrading?

If anyone can answer those questions sensibly with reasons why, I'll +1 the first decent answer to each.
you dont need a 64 bit proc if you run the 32 bit version of vista. if you have enough ram it apparentely runs as fast as XP
you dont need to buy a native dx10 card to run vista. anything from a geforce fx should do well
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Smaug
This space for rent
+117|6568|Arlen, Texas
How much RAM does Vista need? (all of it, I'm sure) What are System Requirements?
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6575|England
Q I have 3 pcs, 2 running xp home 1 running xp pro. Whats the best / cheapest way to get em running vista? Retail / OEM / Upgrade / Multiuser pack...?
Penetrator
Certified Twat
+296|6499|Bournemouth, South England
Vista premium recommends at least 1Gb RAM. Obviously, 2 or 4 Gb will be better.
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6596|Greenwood, IN
Well the installation went ok.  Except for the part were it erased all my installed programs...  >  Remember kinds always have all your updates installed on you previous OS before upgrading to Vista.  Sigh I guess its time to install all my programs again.  Other than that it acually found all my hardward and had drivers for them.  0_o  I'll also add the questions and answers in a little bit.  I want winamp back!!!

Edit: I also lost all my bookmarks from firefox........................

Edit2: Screenies I thought were good enough to post.

https://www.digital-sickness.net/temp/oh_hell_no.jpg

https://www.digital-sickness.net/temp/bf2_lol.jpg

Edit3: Q&A has been updated!

Last edited by Brizzzer (2007-02-01 09:59:34)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

I've got Vista running on a secondary drive at the moment. I have to say I've been extremely impressed by its performance.

Yaocelotl wrote:

No. Vista is a much better future gaming platform than XP. DX10 is better than any previous versions and I am glad to see Microsoft being brave and moving away from conventional backwards compatibility, which is one of the greatest problems with modern computing. Vista allows for far better potential usage of modern hardware to run sophisticated modern applications. DX9 games do run slower, since the OS is designed to run games in DX10 mode. No current games are particularly challenging for current DX10 hardware, which is the graphics platform Vista is targeted at - so who cares if current games don't run very fast on it, in 2 years time, it won't be a problem and the design approach they've taken will improve more modern gaming.

One more point to the OP, your link to programs that don't work in Vista is wrong. That is a list of incompatibilities for RC2, which is not the final release version. Microsoft are releasing an add on pack for Vista called Virtual PC to allow complete compatibility for older windows applications including 16-bit software (all of which is more than 10 years old anyway).

My opinion on Vista, it seems great. Very, very good, certainly. They've done all the things I wanted them to do with an OS with it. I'm usually extremely critical of new Windows versions, but Vista has impressed me greatly. Microsoft have done a good job of looking forward with Vista, rather than backwards.
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6614|Camp XRay

The only thing I really like about vista is the new media center.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled.jpg
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6596|Greenwood, IN

Bertster7 wrote:

I've got Vista running on a secondary drive at the moment. I have to say I've been extremely impressed by its performance.

Yaocelotl wrote:

No. Vista is a much better future gaming platform than XP. DX10 is better than any previous versions and I am glad to see Microsoft being brave and moving away from conventional backwards compatibility, which is one of the greatest problems with modern computing. Vista allows for far better potential usage of modern hardware to run sophisticated modern applications. DX9 games do run slower, since the OS is designed to run games in DX10 mode. No current games are particularly challenging for current DX10 hardware, which is the graphics platform Vista is targeted at - so who cares if current games don't run very fast on it, in 2 years time, it won't be a problem and the design approach they've taken will improve more modern gaming.

One more point to the OP, your link to programs that don't work in Vista is wrong. That is a list of incompatibilities for RC2, which is not the final release version. Microsoft are releasing an add on pack for Vista called Virtual PC to allow complete compatibility for older windows applications including 16-bit software (all of which is more than 10 years old anyway).

My opinion on Vista, it seems great. Very, very good, certainly. They've done all the things I wanted them to do with an OS with it. I'm usually extremely critical of new Windows versions, but Vista has impressed me greatly. Microsoft have done a good job of looking forward with Vista, rather than backwards.
I agree with you 100% and I am running Vista now as my main OS and have had a some problems but none that I have no been able to fix.  Also, if you could find a current list if not mabey we shoudl build one that we know work or if that don't work correct a work around for those programs?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6572|SE London

Brizzzer wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Yaocelotl wrote:

I agree with you 100% and I am running Vista now as my main OS and have had a some problems but none that I have no been able to fix.  Also, if you could find a current list if not mabey we shoudl build one that we know work or if that don't work correct a work around for those programs?
Here's a current list (which I got from following a link from your link).

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/W … ility_List

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard