Poll

How often do you Reformat your HD / Reinstall OS?

Once every 2 years4%4% - 4
Once every year13%13% - 13
Twice a year7%7% - 7
More than twice a year.14%14% - 14
Only when something is seriously wrong.60%60% - 58
Total: 96
Onionpaste
+6|6421
Check which one applies for you, I want to know generally for the semi-hardcore gamer what is a good amount to do said thing.  And if this is just BS that people throw at me about reformatting / reinstalling and that it really isn't necessary, say that too.  Thanks!

-Onion
bobby177
+129|6512|Texas.. getting out asap
Only when it needs to be
commissargizz
+123|6501| Heaven
too bloody often   things are always going wrong   ggggrrrrrrr
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6557|Adelaide, South Australia

Option 5.

Last edited by Fenris_GreyClaw (2006-11-24 23:18:24)

killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6629|Reisterstown, MD

You shouldn't have to reinstall/reformat ever unless something is wrong with a OS file or you get a nasty virus that makes you perform those actions.  I have reinstalled WinXP once since I have had this PC which is well over three years now.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6557|Adelaide, South Australia

killer21 wrote:

You shouldn't have to reinstall/reformat ever unless something is wrong with a OS file or you get a nasty virus that makes you perform those actions.  I have reinstalled WinXP once since I have had this PC which is well over three years now.
So, Option 5 for you?
moffettsisagg
+0|6401
I've had my PC for almost 3 years, and I only reformatted it a month or so ago. For whatever reason, none of the windows elements (My Computer, My docs, etc.) would open, and Ie6 didn't work. It refused to burn discs and was generally being lame.

/bootandnuke
Onionpaste
+6|6421

badhq, of BF2 "Help" Forum.  "Eeking out every FPS you can get" Thread wrote:

When in Doubt Format Reinstall: Sometimes a windows OS is just to far gone to recover. When that's the case, you need to reinstall the OS. Even if you're not having any problems I would suggest that you do it at least 2 times a year just to keep your OS running smoothly. I personally will Reinstall 4 times a year, but I also do a lot of downloading.
Discuss.

Edit- And Fenris, is your name from WoW or another member of the Warcraft series?  Sounds very familiar.

Last edited by Onionpaste (2006-11-24 23:55:58)

norge
J-10 and a coke please
+18|6508
i need to because i had the trial of fraps installed, and u cant install the full version over it.  sucks.  also i only reinstall when i add new components to my PC.
WarriorDave
+10|6408|Louisville, Ky
I reformat C:\ drives once every 3 months.
tupla_s
+455|6630|Finland
Only when necessary, Formatted two days ago when I replaced my mother board and broken CPU
bobby177
+129|6512|Texas.. getting out asap

Onionpaste wrote:

badhq, of BF2 "Help" Forum.  "Eeking out every FPS you can get" Thread wrote:

When in Doubt Format Reinstall: Sometimes a windows OS is just to far gone to recover. When that's the case, you need to reinstall the OS. Even if you're not having any problems I would suggest that you do it at least 2 times a year just to keep your OS running smoothly. I personally will Reinstall 4 times a year, but I also do a lot of downloading.
Discuss.

Edit- And Fenris, is your name from WoW or another member of the Warcraft series?  Sounds very familiar.
Fenris is a giant wolf from norse mythology
--->[Your]Phobia<---
+35|6794|UK - England
Generally speaking formatting is the nooby way to try and fix problems. Thats my opinion.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6723|Espoo, Finland
Only when I mess stuff up...

Btw, if you have your HD split into partions, can you format just one part and leave the rest as they are?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6804|UK
I have two drives in my desktop, I have yet to reformat either of them. There is no need to reformat unless something is wrong, it will perhaps speed up your computer a tiny amount but thats only if its crap to begin with.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6665|UK

bobby177 wrote:

Only when it needs to be
tupla_s
+455|6630|Finland

Gawwad wrote:

Btw, if you have your HD split into partions, can you format just one part and leave the rest as they are?
Yes you can, but if you format only the partition windows is installed to and you have programs on other partition they most likely wont work because there's no entry's in registry and there's usually some stuff the program needs installed in the windows directory too
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6804|UK

tupla_s wrote:

Gawwad wrote:

Yes you can, but if you format only the partition windows is installed to and you have programs on other partition they most likely wont work because there's no entry's in registry and there's usually some stuff the program needs installed in the windows directory too
Correct, and this is exactly why an installed program cant be copied off onto another machine.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6710
Min twice a year.  I have gotten it down so I can back everything up and reinstall quickly now.
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6473|UK
err

this is gonna sound sad but...

every month or so...
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6804|UK

Zero!. wrote:

err

this is gonna sound sad but...

every month or so...
You repatch BF2 every month or so!!! WTF i wouldnt be able to cope.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6531|N. Ireland

Zero!. wrote:

every month or so...
i don't believe you.

anyway, i tend to reformat once every year and a bit or if i get a serious problem that i can't fix myself. Most reformats I've done in a year would be around 4.
SkoobyDu
'CLICK JOIN NOW'... OK lets go... BOOM!!!! =FFS=
+120|6599|Cheshire, UK
1 simple rule - if somethings not broke then don't fuck with it... In my job I've seen the results of people fucking round with there PC's too much.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

I have set my machine up with Acronis true image. Works great when I need to restore things. It saves everything including the settings I had for particular programs. It makes an exact replica of that partition. So, when I need to "format" I just go back to the "perfect image" . (Yea, it's kinda like norton ghost.)
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Cookie.VXT
Bringer Of Cookies.
+178|6473|UK

leetkyle wrote:

Zero!. wrote:

every month or so...
i don't believe you.

anyway, i tend to reformat once every year and a bit or if i get a serious problem that i can't fix myself. Most reformats I've done in a year would be around 4.
why would i lie about it

its not something to be proud off reformatting your comp every month

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard