Mr.Maverick.MDK
+5|6753
Ok, so I searched the forum and found a few posts on this but most are old and I wanted to see if anyone else was having connection problems after joining a server or better yet if there is actually a solution.  I reinstalled the game twice and the second time I had removed any trace of BF from my computer including any registry entries, removed and reinstalled the video drivers, defragged like 8 times, installed the most recent PB software and I'm sure I did other things too I just cant remember cuz I was up until 2am working on it.  I do not have a firewall running, changed the connection setting in BF to cable instead of T1, triple checked my internet service which I running flawlessly and my anti-virus is turned off as well. Still doesn’t work, it just kicks me back to the server list and says "connection to the server has been lost." Never any reason, its not saying I'm being kicked just the same thing that happens when you lose your internet connection.  I can rejoin just fine and then minutes later, lost connection again.  It does the same thing in BF2 & SF so it’s not just SF which is what I thought it was in the beginning since I was only playing SF when it first started happening.  I tried hoping on BF2 as well and the same exact thing.  Needless to say it was VERY frustrating.  Of course there is nothing on the EA forums about thing and certainly no help from EA.  I would take CTD at this point over this; at least with the old CTD I could play a few rounds once in a while.  Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
bakarocket
+12|6545
I have the same problem after about an hour of playing. I can always play one full round, then half of one more, then I get booted. I log back in, finish that round, then get half way through the next before I get booted again. I don't know what it is, but it's like clockwork. I assumed it was a server issue for mine, but have no idea about yours. So why am I posting? 'Cause I feel your pain.
Twist
Too old to be doing this sh*t
+103|6519|Little blue planet, milky way
If you get the "connection lost" after a couple of minutes play, then it's USUALLY a problem with Punkbuster. Even setting the check to 500 seconds, STILL only gives you 500 secs of play (and you CANT set it higher). All I can say, is try updating PB again.
Mr.Maverick.MDK
+5|6753
Updated PB a few times and even maually installed the files is uses directly into the correct folders and still the same outcome.
Roomba
You will pay the price for your lack of vision.
+26|6488|Land of Cotton
Yeah, this problem is very annoying. It seems to be hit or miss. I can't figure it out. I have been scouring the forums boards and searching for a solution.

I have also updated PB and set it to 500. I was spiking to ~600 ping. After that, I played for a minute or so and got dc's. I have noticed one observation for the rapidity of dc: if the server has stringent rules for ping limits you may get booted very quickly. Some say in the HUD that "pings above 200 will get kicked" and such. I played one one server and got the "problem with your connection" three times before I got booted. Between pauses it was flawless.

I had antivir and avguard running in the background and turned them off.  My ewido was already off.  After turning off the virus programs, I played a full round in a RTJ server without vehicles. This was at 12 midnight. During that round, there was one pause early on and the rest seemed to settle down. I had a ping as low as 40 during the round.

I think this is a larger problem that spyware or antivirus programs running in the background. I did an online cable speed check and it said my connection was "Awesome".  So is it the game or something else? I keep trying tweaks but playing a full round takes more luck than anything. The patch worked fine for about 2-3 weeks. I wonder when punkbuster got updated? (If it is the culprit).

I have cut back my playing but when I set to play I don't want these stupid problems! I mean, it's all a waste of time but I'd like to get some enjoyment out of it!
Mr.Maverick.MDK
+5|6753
It must have been the punkbuster updates from a few weeks ago, because the last time i played was before the PB update and this weekend was the first time i had played since the update and boom constant connection problems.  Nothing else had changed on my system and everything was working perfectly before that time.  Does anyone have a solution for this PB problem??  I really want to play but kinda cant if im being disconnected ever 2 minutes.  This crap makes me seriously reconsider buying BF2142.  I dont want to have to deal with this shit again on a new game.
Ryan
+1,230|6839|Alberta, Canada

How long did it take you defrag 'like 8 times'?

It take my computer 3-4 hours just to defrag once.
Mr.Maverick.MDK
+5|6753
2 hours the first time, then only 10-15 minutes after that because the only thing that moved on the drive was the BF data and it was more like 3 or 4 times, sorry just frustrated with all of this crap from EA.
topthrill05
+125|6574|Rochester NY USA
I had the same issue when I was using spy sweeper. I un installed it and boom fixed.
Mr.Maverick.MDK
+5|6753
nope no spyware software on my PC and i disabled my Antivirus
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6689
i have the same problem. I tried alot of shit, and no solution. BTW to the people who have these problems, do u have a router or a direct connection from modem to PC?
Mr.Maverick.MDK
+5|6753
I have tried both ways with no success
EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6548|UK
Do you have a dual core CPU? If so you need to set the affinity of BF2.exe to CPU0.

I had connection problems a while ago which were partly caused by a particular make of USB WiFi dongle. Changed my WiFi dongle and connection drop outs became more uncommon.

Oh, one other thing to try - turn off VOIP in the in game settings.
Mr.Maverick.MDK
+5|6753
nope i have an intel 3ghz P4 HT and my nic port is part of the MB.  Would the VOIP actually be a problem or is that just a guess?
Roomba
+26|6488|Land of Cotton
Let's see: I have a router I just got BUT the old one worked fine until 2 weeks ago. Coincidence?

I have a Athlon XP2600+ so do dual core for me.

Check out PB's wesite www.evenbalance.com. They have a post warning about an exploit back in May '06 but they also say it has been fixed. Since the 1.4 is more recent there may be a conflict.

OK. Has anyone played on a non PB server? That might give some insight to see if it is a potential solution. Let's all try it and see.
Mr.Maverick.MDK
+5|6753
Ok so here it goes,  one of the million things i did seemed to have fixed it.  I finally got to play for about an hour and a half tonight without any problems.  It was nice.  I dont know if it is totally fixed but its something.  Heres what i did:

-Removed any trace of the game manually and Reinstalled full game with SF and 1.4 patch
-Manually install PB software from their website: http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=dl-bf2.php
-Updated my router firmware
-Made sure my firewall was allowing access for bf2.exe
-Edited my C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host file to add this line to it which is PB's address "64.251.14.78 www.evenbalance.com"  It uses this to authenticate your software with their server.
-Did not waste time defragging again, that does nothing
-Did not mess with any of my virus software, that does nothing to and is a waste of time, but turn it off if you dont believe me.
-Switch type of connection in the in-game options menu from T1/LAN to Cable/DSL
-And finally and i did this last after everything else was done and had already loaded into BF a few times, so there was a bunch of data in the cache folder; Delete contents of video cache folder
C:\Documents and Settings\"my login"\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache
-After all that was done and i actually loaded into a server and i set all of these settings for PB
1. PB_LAN 1 - turns off PB automatic update.  You will have to manually update PB as new stuff is pushed out.  I dont know if this was necessary but i did it anyway.  It only take a minute to manually update PB
2. PB_LogToFile 1 - Logs all problems with PB so you can see whats going on
3. PB_sleep 500 - Puts the longest amount of delay for PB checking your hard drive
4. PB_writecfg - saves all of this to the cfg file so you dont have to do it everytime you load into a new server.

I hope this help, it did for me finally and let me know if you succeed or still have connection problems and ill keep digging.  Like i said this is still questionable until i have more time to test the game.  Its 2am and im sleepy so no more BF for me tonight.

EDIT:  Also i am positive that these problems are revolving around punkbuster.  Everytime i lost connection it was recorded as a kick on my stats.  Even though all i got was a "connection to the server was lost" window and no messege from PB as to being kicked for some reason it was still recorded as a kick. So something with PB is really screwed up somehow.  It sucks cuz i used to have only around 20 or so kicks now i have around 70, makes me look like a bad player and i know im not.

Last edited by Mr.Maverick.MDK (2006-09-27 07:06:22)

[Wildcard]DaMaverick
+4|6483|Near the sky
Hello gamers ,

I have exactly the same problem than alo f you. I will try this tonight and I will let you knwo

+1 karma and I karma back
EricTViking
Yes, I am Queeg
+48|6548|UK

Mr.Maverick.MDK wrote:

nope i have an intel 3ghz P4 HT and my nic port is part of the MB.  Would the VOIP actually be a problem or is that just a guess?
VOIP can cause glitchiness if enabled, probably if the sensitivity of the mic to too great and you flood the network connection with too many packets.

Give it a try and see if it improves things.

Disabling it certainly sped up the game on my notebook.
Mr.Maverick.MDK
+5|6753
Thanx for the info Viking but i think i solved the problem as stated above.  And my VOIP is on and working well.

Last edited by Mr.Maverick.MDK (2006-09-27 07:19:22)

Roomba
+26|6488|Land of Cotton

Mr.Maverick.MDK wrote:

Ok so here it goes,  one of the million things i did seemed to have fixed it.  I finally got to play for about an hour and a half tonight without any problems.  It was nice.  I don't know if it is totally fixed but its something.  Heres what i did:

-Removed any trace of the game manually and Reinstalled full game with SF and 1.4 patch
-Manually install PB software from their website: http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=dl-bf2.php
-Updated my router firmware
-Made sure my firewall was allowing access for bf2.exe
-Edited my C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\host file to add this line to it which is PB's address "64.251.14.78 www.evenbalance.com"  It uses this to authenticate your software with their server.
-Did not waste time defragging again, that does nothing
-Did not mess with any of my virus software, that does nothing to and is a waste of time, but turn it off if you don't believe me.
-Switch type of connection in the in-game options menu from T1/LAN to Cable/DSL
-And finally and i did this last after everything else was done and had already loaded into BF a few times, so there was a bunch of data in the cache folder; Delete contents of video cache folder
C:\Documents and Settings\"my login"\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache
-After all that was done and i actually loaded into a server and i set all of these settings for PB
1. PB_LAN 1 - turns off PB automatic update.  You will have to manually update PB as new stuff is pushed out.  I don't know if this was necessary but i did it anyway.  It only take a minute to manually update PB
2. PB_LogToFile 1 - Logs all problems with PB so you can see whats going on
3. PB_sleep 500 - Puts the longest amount of delay for PB checking your hard drive
4. PB_writecfg - saves all of this to the cfg file so you don't have to do it every time you load into a new server.

I hope this help, it did for me finally and let me know if you succeed or still have connection problems and ill keep digging.  Like i said this is still questionable until i have more time to test the game.  Its 2am and im sleepy so no more BF for me tonight.

EDIT:  Also i am positive that these problems are revolving around punkbuster.  Everytime i lost connection it was recorded as a kick on my stats.  Even though all i got was a "connection to the server was lost" window and no message from PB as to being kicked for some reason it was still recorded as a kick. So something with PB is really screwed up somehow.  It sucks cuz i used to have only around 20 or so kicks now i have around 70, makes me look like a bad player and i know im not.
Good work. At least you have found something! I think you are honing in on the problem.

I see we are cross foruming (yeah, i made that up). I will try to line-item some of your work. Maybe the quick stuff will work.  I was hoping not to uninstall the game. Just out of curiosity, did you use the incremental patch to get to 1.4 of the full one before your uninstall/reinstall? I have used the incremental patch the whole time and not had problems. I will try the various quick thing you mentioned above. I have wondered about the  T1 vs DSL/cable selection. Mine ISP is comcast cable.

I could not get a server to work without PB. I still got dc'd very quickly. Of the two servers, one was slightly better than the other but that might have been 60 secs vs 5! I like the PB log. That might be helpful. The only time I played for 10-15 mintues was close to midnight as well.

Thanks again. I'll let you know.
Mr.Maverick.MDK
+5|6753
I used the full patch directly from EA's mirror.  Also i have brighthouse cable which should be very similar to comcast.  You may not need to do the reinstall, try the other stuff first.  Also im positive its punkbuster, so focus on that stuff i listed for Punkbuster.  You may have to join and rejoin into a server to setup the changes to PB.  Good luck.
ic|shiney
+17|6550|leeds.England
i did all that pb stuff when i first got my probs with connection work great for like 4 rounds then they came back
Mr.Maverick.MDK
+5|6753
well then you might have to do it all then if just doing the PB stuff didnt solve the problem.  And like i said this is all hit and miss, since EA doesnt provide any help we have to figure this shit out on our own.
[Wildcard]DaMaverick
+4|6483|Near the sky
Hello Gamers,

I have done what Mr.Maverick;MDK said  and it works, !
Thanx for your work
+1 karma
Mr.Maverick.MDK
+5|6753
Thx, im glad it worked for you.  Got bad news though.  I had forgot to install AF when i did all of this work and so i went ahead and installed it last night and the problem returned.  I went back and did everything i could besides reinstalling the whole game and now im back to square one and i dont feel like reisntalling the whole game yet again.  I dont know what the hell is wrong with the game.  I think im just gonna give up.  I have waisted too much time on this for a problem that should be fixed by EA.  Glad to hear it worked for you though.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard