SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3763
Teen knowingly came to school positive with COVID. Of course this is the same one who said he wasn't vaxed because his mother doesn't believe in getting the vaccine.

The same teen is the most difficult student I have this year. Rude, lazy, disruptive, etc. Makes the school a worse place.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6815|PNW

countdown for comment deletion begins...now
uziq
+492|3495
it’s about time we considered anti-vaxxers and people who don’t respect basic social distancing/self-isolation guidelines as the anti-social persons that they are.

they can shut down businesses, ruin large events, and of course endanger the lives of the vulnerable. why do people tolerate their ‘freedom’ or bogus cod-scientific ‘skepticism’?

these people set back the efforts of everyone else. a positive person can infect 100s or 1000s.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3763
I was going to say how this ties into my grand theory that most of America's problems come from a subset of low IQ troublemakers.
uziq
+492|3495
i have no problems at all with businesses or institutions forbidding the unvaccinated from entry tbh. it's a huge risk to their own personal health/safety and their economic livelihoods.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6815|PNW

Ideally, stuff like that should be mandatory for school attendance, in all 50 states. Too bad it's a political issue.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6149|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

it’s about time we considered anti-vaxxers and people who don’t respect basic social distancing/self-isolation guidelines as the anti-social persons that they are.

they can shut down businesses, ruin large events, and of course endanger the lives of the vulnerable. why do people tolerate their ‘freedom’ or bogus cod-scientific ‘skepticism’?

these people set back the efforts of everyone else. a positive person can infect 100s or 1000s.
Why?
Vaccines don't prevent infection or transmission.
As far as I know you're just as likely to get covid from a fully vaccinated infected person as an unvaccinated infected person. Probably more so as there are a lot more of them and they're more likely to be out and about asymptomatic.
Now that we're 90% vaccinated the infection rate is going through the roof.

Why are you so keen to other and victimise people who don't agree with you?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3495
vaccines do provide a short-term block on transmission. they were quite good at it in the early days before new strains put too much distance on the existing vaccines.

every reason to assume that the updated vaccines coming on-line this spring will put a decent dent in transmissibility too.

mRNA has been established as conferring better residual antigens and protection than getting sick + recovering.

so in both senses being vaccinated makes you incrementally safer to be out in public than being totally unvaccinated.

a silver bullet to make people permanently immune and to permanently block transmission was probably never ever feasible with a mutative coronavirus. it would be nice to cure dementia and fix all cancers too but it’s beyond the scope of our knowledge and technology. alas. you keep going on about it.

the real question is why you’re so determined to ignore the state-of-affairs and facts as we’ve been dealt them. covid is here. society must resume. vaccines protect life and do the best job from a societal point of view of letting us resume normalcy. NOT being vaccinated makes you more at risk and makes you more likely to transmit it, whether the difference is marginal or no.

so looks like getting vaccinated is the way to go, chump. or just stay inside forever, never mix socially, and practice what you preach when it comes to vaccine skepticism. like putin.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Except the jury is still out on this one.

Vaccine effectiveness studies have conclusively demonstrated the benefit of COVID-19 vaccines in reducing individual symptomatic and severe disease, resulting in reduced hospitalisations and intensive care unit admissions.1 However, the impact of vaccination on transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2 needs to be elucidated. A prospective cohort study in the UK by Anika Singanayagam and colleagues2 regarding community transmission of SARS-CoV-2 among unvaccinated and vaccinated individuals provides important information that needs to be considered in reassessing vaccination policies. This study showed that the impact of vaccination on community transmission of circulating variants of SARS-CoV-2 appeared to be not significantly different from the impact among unvaccinated people.2,  3 The scientific rationale for mandatory vaccination in the USA relies on the premise that vaccination prevents transmission to others, resulting in a “pandemic of the unvaccinated”.4 Yet, the demonstration of COVID-19 breakthrough infections among fully vaccinated health-care workers (HCW) in Israel, who in turn may transmit this infection to their patients,5 requires a reassessment of compulsory vaccination policies leading to the job dismissal of unvaccinated HCW in the USA. Indeed, there is growing evidence that peak viral titres in the upper airways of the lungs and culturable virus are similar in vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals.2,3,5–7 A recent investigation by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of an outbreak of COVID-19 in a prison in Texas showed the equal presence of infectious virus in the nasopharynx of vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals.6 Similarly, researchers in California observed no major differences between vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals in terms of SARS-CoV-2 viral loads in the nasopharynx, even in those with proven asymptomatic infection.7 Thus, the current evidence suggests that current mandatory vaccination policies might need to be reconsidered, and that vaccination status should not replace mitigation practices such as mask wearing, physical distancing, and contact-tracing investigations, even within highly vaccinated populations.
The real question is why you're so rabid ramming arguments down people's throats when they have no basis in fact.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lani … S1473-3099(21)00768-4/fulltext
uziq
+492|3495
i am referring to the fact that the earlier variants of covid were successfully blocked by recently vaccinated people. there are data sets demonstrating this, also. these things need to be contextualised on the timeline of strain-vaccine parity.

it’s a problem of messaging and politics as much as anything else. it seems americans and australians have been led to believe, at certain times, that there will be a ‘magic’ vaccine that will ‘end’ the pandemic, and that the pandemic is only one ‘of the unvaccinated’. this is unhelpful and misleading.

considering that the unvaccinated are overwhelmingly the ones ending up in hospital, requiring serious care, there’s still pretty clear collective public health-oriented arguments for mandating vaccination. this isn’t about ‘eradicating covid’ with magic vaccines or bringing down the r-number; blocking transmissibility has only ever been a secondary benefit of vaccination. the first benefit of vaccination is stated clearly as the very first sentence in your study: it’s to stop serious illness and death.

unvaccinated people are still the ones spamming the hospital system. they’re still draining the most resources. they’re still causing the most disruption to hospital waiting times, etc. a person’s ‘freedom’ to choose to go unvaccinated is not without consequence on their peers or society at large. ending up in intensive care is costly to the health system that has to keep your dumb ass alive.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Which is completely different from

uziq wrote:

i have no problems at all with businesses or institutions forbidding the unvaccinated from entry tbh. it's a huge risk to their own personal health/safety and their economic livelihoods.
Its no more risky to a business than letting vaccinated people enter.
Risk to business and social engineering are two different things entirely.

But generally yes, I'm sure most people expected a vaccine would confer some immunity, prevent transmission, be effective for a reasonable length of time - years or decades.
Not just reduce symptoms for 2-3 months.
uziq
+492|3495
let me put it another way: i have no problem with businesses making their own estimations of the right level of health and safety required with regards to the pandemic. more obviously including masks and social distancing.

from the korean perspective, which im thinking of here, and where financial support for businesses has been minimal and where the economy has a huge number of small business owners, getting sick or having to shut down because of a reported cluster is a serious financial challenge. people should have to comply with any guidelines.

plus let’s be frank here, most of the people who are unvaccinated at this point and make a big deal out of it are precisely the people protesting loudly that they want to walk around walgreens or target or whatever without wearing a mask. antivaxxers aren’t conscientious lancet readers. they are people who don’t want to follow any public health guidance.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

plus let’s be frank here, most of the people who are unvaccinated at this point and make a big deal out of it are precisely the people protesting loudly that they want to walk around walgreens or target or whatever without wearing a mask. antivaxxers aren’t conscientious lancet readers. they are people who don’t want to follow any public health guidance.
Well I agree, but thats a whole different argument.

Block people who won't wear a mask or follow simple transmission reduction protocols from your business or workplace - no problem.

Cancel people who won't get vaccinated when it does no harm to your business or workplace because vaccines don't change transmissibility - this is stupid. If vaccines did impact transmissibility then fine.

That they may be the same people isn't important.

Cancel people because you think everyone should for forced to have a vaccine whether they're comfortable or not and only affects their outcome - no thanks
uziq
+492|3495
but, again, you are being selective in your citations. there have been many studies back when vaccines had parity/kept pace with the early strains attesting to their (at the time unexpected) ability to lower transmission. the vaccines did lower transmission and improve 'total' immunity. even your study, published in january 2022, mentions that there is still marginal benefits conferred by this, although not enough to 'justify' blanket mandates at present.

it is conceivable that the next generation of vaccines will perform better. when you keep moaning about 'nobody hoped for vaccines that would only reduce symptoms for 2-3 months', you're being a little bit manipulative with the truth of the matter, aren't you? 2.5-year-old vaccines are still conferring substantial protection from death and serious illness for 2-3 months. that's it. when they were brand new their window of immunity, including their ability to block transmission, was much better. that's the dynamic at play here in this pandemic and it's no different from flu: frequent updates needed, annual reviews necessary, etc.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes but we're talking about transmission and the benefits are and have been at best marginal, at worst zero.
This isn't worth firing nurses and police officers over.

it's a huge risk to their own personal health/safety and their economic livelihoods.
Its barely any risk at all.
uziq
+492|3495
in a country where a cluster being traced to your establishment = mandatory shutdown for 15 days, it is precisely a huge risk to your economic livelihood. hence why i was saying that i have no problem with businesses instating their own covid rules.

i have literally already spoken at length about why medical professionals may need to be exempted from vaccine mandates. any vaccine mandate is obviously going to need exceptions. i've clearly been talking about stubborn anti-vaxxers who refuse 'on principle' to abide by any social distancing rules when going to pubs, restaurants, public spaces, etc., and thereby ruining things for everyone else.

Last edited by uziq (2022-03-01 03:08:59)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Once again I'm fine with any steps to reduce transmission and make workplaces safe, vaccination isn't necessarily one of them - its social engineering which isn't the job of companies.
uziq
+492|3495

uziq wrote:

considering that the unvaccinated are overwhelmingly the ones ending up in hospital, requiring serious care, there’s still pretty clear collective public health-oriented arguments for mandating vaccination. this isn’t about ‘eradicating covid’ with magic vaccines or bringing down the r-number; blocking transmissibility has only ever been a secondary benefit of vaccination. the first benefit of vaccination is stated clearly as the very first sentence in your study: it’s to stop serious illness and death.

unvaccinated people are still the ones spamming the hospital system. they’re still draining the most resources. they’re still causing the most disruption to hospital waiting times, etc. a person’s ‘freedom’ to choose to go unvaccinated is not without consequence on their peers or society at large. ending up in intensive care is costly to the health system that has to keep your dumb ass alive.
there is just no way that you can spin not getting vaccinated as being a 'harmless' personal choice, like it's a lifestyle preference.

you have no problem with laws or regulations mandating that people 'protect themselves' in other contexts, as in by wearing seatbelts.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Would it affect McDonalds one jot if I drove through their drive-thru without a seatbelt?
Of course it wouldn't, so they shouldn't have a reason to make it mandatory.

Not that I have been to McDs in the last 30 years.
uziq
+492|3495
erm i'm talking about the highway code and laws of the road generally, not businesses' practices about seatbelts.

many laws and mandates exist which, via the state or some overarching authority, 'force' you to behave in a certain way 'for your own welfare'.

the consequences of driving through mcdonalds at 5mph without a seatbelt are nil. but that's not comparable to the consequences of an unvaccinated person falling seriously ill with covid, is it? people driving around car-parks without seatbelts don't end up taking up hospital beds and burdening health-care systems.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+637|3763
Woke up wheezing. Took a COVID test. Negative
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

erm i'm talking about the highway code and laws of the road generally, not businesses' practices about seatbelts.
You're rambling all over the place frankly, I hope you feel better soon.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6815|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Woke up wheezing. Took a COVID test. Negative
Stop vaping.
uziq
+492|3495

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

You're rambling all over the place frankly, I hope you feel better soon.
you accept laws and mandates forced upon you ‘for your own good’ when driving a car, for example. you don’t accuse the government of over-reach every time you buckle up, do you?

but a government mandating vaccines is somehow an impossible tyranny? when they’ve been proven to save your life? when they keep you away from the hospital system and out of an ICU bed?

‘rambling all over the place’. you’ve been triple vaccinated and yet you spend time every single day coming to an internet forum to tell people why vaccines are bad. you are literally going senile lmao.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
What we're talking about is whether businesses should be able to exclude the unvaccinated to protect their business interests.

What next, only men who have been circumcised should be allowed to travel on commercial airlines?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard