doc. josh
+48|6583
OK as some of u will probably iam the biggest computer n00b out there but i have a question. what do i need to un install to replace my ati 9550 with an x1600 like what software? catalyst? hydra vision?

Last edited by doc. josh (2006-07-24 17:11:41)

ProPain
+0|6525
myself, i would use driver cleaner pro, and wipeout all installed video and related drivers. that way you can start clean. funny things happen when video drivers overlap.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Driver-Cleaner-Professional.shtml
dankassasin42o
+68|6717|Reefersyde, CA
You'd buy a card with the Nvidia chipset.   

NVIDIA FTW!!!!!!!
BigglesPiP
Whirlybird Guy
+20|6586|Windermere, GB
You don't do anything.

CATALYST drivers support both cards. Upgrade to the latest CATALYSTs may help tho. No Driver Cleaner required.
slo5oh
+28|6699

ProPain wrote:

myself, i would use driver cleaner pro, and wipeout all installed video and related drivers. that way you can start clean. funny things happen when video drivers overlap.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Unin … onal.shtml
Not sure about ATI cards, but Nvidia cards use the same driver so you can safely pull a 5200 out and pop in a 7900GT.  If you're worried about the driver being different go into your add/remove programs and remove your current ATI driver.  If you don't see the ATI driver in there you can simply set your video card back to a stock generic VGA driver, shut down, install new card, and boot up.  I used to do this in win95 all the time to avoid double driver installs.
BigglesPiP
Whirlybird Guy
+20|6586|Windermere, GB

dankassasin42o wrote:

NVIDIA FTW!!!!!!!
That would emply buying an SLi mobo (Where you would find an nVidia chipset).

The term you want is GPU (Graphical Processing Unit).

But that X1600 is a fine card.
dankassasin42o
+68|6717|Reefersyde, CA

slo5oh wrote:

ProPain wrote:

Not sure about ATI cards, but Nvidia cards use the same driver so you can safely pull a 5200 out and pop in a 7900GT.  If you're worried about the driver being different go into your add/remove programs and remove your current ATI driver.  If you don't see the ATI driver in there you can simply set your video card back to a stock generic VGA driver, shut down, install new card, and boot up.  I used to do this in win95 all the time to avoid double driver installs.
Hence NVIDIA FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D
BigglesPiP
Whirlybird Guy
+20|6586|Windermere, GB

dankassasin42o wrote:

slo5oh wrote:

ProPain wrote:

Please stop that, there was nothing in that sentence to suggest nVidia is the better company. You're just spamming which won't help our freind here get his X1600 instaled.

At X1600 Price range ATi has it IMO. Tho I'd snap up a 7950GTX if I could afford one.
dankassasin42o
+68|6717|Reefersyde, CA

BigglesPiP wrote:

dankassasin42o wrote:

NVIDIA FTW!!!!!!!
That would emply buying an SLi mobo (Where you would find an nVidia chipset).

The term you want is GPU (Graphical Processing Unit).

But that X1600 is a fine card.
Im a computer tech.   GPU is on the GRAPHICS CARD itself.  Its the unit that, umm well makes everything pretty on your monitor.    The chipset is included on mobos. AS well as the Video card itself.   Also a reason they have 1 set of drivers, also what helps with SLi....     Hence why nForce4 (Nvidia Chipsets are included on mobos.)

Lets see if thats understandable, im pretty fukt up.

yes the x1600 is nice

but the 7950 is nicer
dankassasin42o
+68|6717|Reefersyde, CA

BigglesPiP wrote:

dankassasin42o wrote:

slo5oh wrote:

Please stop that, there was nothing in that sentence to suggest nVidia is the better company. You're just spamming which won't help our freind here get his X1600 instaled.

At X1600 Price range ATi has it IMO. Tho I'd snap up a 7950GTX if I could afford one.
Ok ill stop with "ftw"    im sorry.       But there was something that hints at nvidia as the better company  "but Nvidia cards use the same driver so you can safely pull a 5200 out and pop in a 7900GT."       Thats kinda nice dont you agree?       And at i think its 600 - 700$   a 7950 with 1gb video mem.  is worth it.    But i make alot sooo..
BigglesPiP
Whirlybird Guy
+20|6586|Windermere, GB
But there was something that hints at nvidia as the better company  "but Nvidia cards use the same driver so you can safely pull a 5200 out and pop in a 7900GT."
NO NO NO, that's not what he meant.

You can upgrade a nVidia card to another nVida card without installing drivers (usually). Because nVidia use a single "ForceWare" driver.

ATi do the same; it's called CATALYST.
dankassasin42o
+68|6717|Reefersyde, CA

BigglesPiP wrote:

But there was something that hints at nvidia as the better company  "but Nvidia cards use the same driver so you can safely pull a 5200 out and pop in a 7900GT."

You can upgrade a nVidia card to another nVida card without installing drivers (usually). Because nVidia use a single "ForceWare" driver.

But doesnt ATi ALSO have a 2nd driver set?      Ive seen catalyst.   the nvidia one just looks easyier
BigglesPiP
Whirlybird Guy
+20|6586|Windermere, GB

dankassasin42o wrote:

BigglesPiP wrote:

But doesnt ATi ALSO have a 2nd driver set?      Ive seen catalyst.   the nvidia one just looks easyier
I find the latest CATALYSTs with their live 3D preview really easy to use. Thay are as easy to change cards on as ForceWare.

There are other drivers for ATi (the mobility cards have different drivers). Then there are 3rd Party drivers like Omega (My Fav) and DNA.
dankassasin42o
+68|6717|Reefersyde, CA

BigglesPiP wrote:

dankassasin42o wrote:

BigglesPiP wrote:

I find the latest CATALYSTs with their live 3D preview really easy to use. Thay are as easy to change cards on as ForceWare.

There are other drivers for ATi (the mobility cards have different drivers). Then there are 3rd Party drivers like Omega (My Fav) and DNA.
Oh right on.   Ive really only seen problems with the catalyst driver, and XFire.  But who knows.   Personal choice i guess.   Like AMD is 1,000 times better then Intel.    And AMD really is
doc. josh
+48|6583

dankassasin42o wrote:

BigglesPiP wrote:

dankassasin42o wrote:

Oh right on.   Ive really only seen problems with the catalyst driver, and XFire.  But who knows.   Personal choice i guess.   Like AMD is 1,000 times better then Intel.    And AMD really is
i have an amd 3400+ some day i might up grade the mobo and the processer
BigglesPiP
Whirlybird Guy
+20|6586|Windermere, GB

doc. josh wrote:

dankassasin42o wrote:

BigglesPiP wrote:

Actually Intel has the crown now. But it depends on your budget. You can get an AMD Athlon 64 4000 for under £100
dankassasin42o
+68|6717|Reefersyde, CA

BigglesPiP wrote:

doc. josh wrote:

dankassasin42o wrote:

Actually Intel has the crown now. But it depends on your budget. You can get an AMD Athlon 64 4000 for under £100
Acctually intel having the crown is a myth.  AMD processors STILL out performe Intel,  All intel did was make a new core line CHEAPER.   Still AMD had better prices.   An better performance.  Intel has the tailend.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6639|132 and Bush

dankassasin42o wrote:

Thats kinda nice dont you agree?       And at i think its 600 - 700$   a 7950 with 1gb video mem.  is worth it.    But i make alot sooo..
Not with dx10 cards around the corner.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard