Mac or PC

Pc89%89% - 162
Mac9%9% - 18
other.... ? (plz state)1%1% - 2
Total: 182
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6704|San Francisco
It's not fervor...it's just getting annoyed that the only reason a good majority of Windows users give for their disdain for Macs is "They Suck!!" whereas we can give perfectly logical reasons as to why we prefer using our systems and do not enjoy the Windows environment.

Macs are expensive, I'll give you that.  To make a machine that will equal the production value of a Mac using only PC hardware, you'll still run into the price range of a Mac anyways (AMD or Intel maching running Linux with a Quadro FX 4500 or 5500 production card that will run AutoDesk's Toxik compositing software can become equal if not more expensive than the top of the line Mac G5s running Shake (not to mention the overall additional costs of an IT department for system maintenance and tech support for both Linux and Windows machines)).

Cyborg put it nice and simple...Macs are for production and work, and PCs are gaming rigs.

It's just nice to get some discourse in this issue without morons going "OMG!  Mac userz are teh ghey! One button LOLZ!!1!" for 15 posts...
LivelyToaster
+60|6730|Sacto, CA
https://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2627/butcanyou6fg.jpg

^^ My answer
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726
they do. most of the are released a year ago on the pc
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
pndragon26
+23|6696
Well my PC friends do talk about computers, a lot... about virus's, about dll files missing or getting corrupted, about driver issues, bugs et all...oh and I have (bought) a two button mouse on my mac years ago. Has a scroll wheel too! Also have a drawing tablet. So check your info on mice, apple sels one buttons but you can always add a two.. And I hate to admit it, but I run Microsoft Office on it as well.
Maybe that is why we sound zealous about the macs, we have to point out all the info others "think" is true, ie "one one button mice", that they are "so" expensive- which they are not.
But hey, I love my PC, just love my mac better.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6712|Little Rock, Arkansas

lukeiamnotyourfather wrote:

who voted other?
I did. I am neither a mac or pc partisan. I love each of them for their different advantages. I will add this though. Last year, my mom's pc broke, and rather than fixing it (again!), I bought her a mac mini. Its perfect for what she needs, and it doesn't break all the time like a windows machine does. It sure made my life better. I haven't had to telnet into her machine since I changed to the mac. Before, it was a bimonthly experience.
Subliminal_Sub
+12|6564|Arizona
this is the real interpretation of those stupid ass commercials

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060513
JudgeDredd1824
+32|6664|Wigan an proud of it mate !
Commodore 64..... Still got mine

Tape drive, listenin for that play key to pop up without the loading completeing.... Ahhh brings back memories.

Shit, I bet it's older than half you guys...

Wonder if its worth anythin?
blisteringsilence

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

Tape drive, listenin for that play key to pop up without the loading completeing.... Ahhh brings back memories.

I have mine too... as well as my IIe and my IBM PS/2 with the 286 and the turbo button..... and the only value any of them have is sentimental. They aren't even worth their weight in scrap.

As an interesting side note, I still have some games on 5.5" floppy, if anyone's got some blanks and wants to pirate 15 year old software.... I have a badassed model airplane sim too.
JudgeDredd1824
+32|6664|Wigan an proud of it mate !

blisteringsilence wrote:

JudgeDredd1824 wrote:

I have mine too... as well as my IIe and my IBM PS/2 with the 286 and the turbo button..... and the only value any of them have is sentimental. They aren't even worth their weight in scrap.

As an interesting side note, I still have some games on 5.5" floppy, if anyone's got some blanks and wants to pirate 15 year old software.... I have a badassed model airplane sim too.
LOL.... the last bit (worth anything?) was a joke though
I do also have a Vic 20, BBC Micro and a Packard Bell with a 8086 processor and yes it does have the turbo switch (mine was round the back of the PC and switched between 8MHz and 12MHz). It has a HUGE 20Meg HD and 5.25" single sided floppy drive.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726

Subliminal_Sub wrote:

this is the real interpretation of those stupid ass commercials

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060513
lol i was trying to find that, ctrlaltdel is the best online comic ive seen, been reading it since 2006 jan read all of them and their great
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6652|Deep In The South Of Texas

Marconius wrote:

Consider that a lot of the movies, TV shows, and commercials you guys enjoy are made with Macs in the production pipeline (Sin City, X-Men series, Hellboy, Citroën dancing robot car, too many more to list right now).
Nope:
http://amdlive.amd.com/cinema/vid_sincity.aspx

http://www.crmav.com/du/dual/dual_amd_o … _cit.shtml

The power of AMD64 technology with Direct Connect Architecture allows cutting-edge filmmakers like Robert Rodriguez to redefine the rules of production. No actual “film” was used in the process. Digital artists under Rodriguez’ direction at his Troublemaker Studios in Austin, Texas, used AMD64 technology-based workstations and servers running Avid’s Softimage XSI software on top of Microsoft’s Windows XP Pro operating system to pre-visualize scenes, create and render high definition (HD) digital composites, add visual effects, edit and produce a final HD digital master.
Maj.Do
+85|6762|good old CA

The Stillhouse Kid wrote:

Marconius wrote:

Consider that a lot of the movies, TV shows, and commercials you guys enjoy are made with Macs in the production pipeline (Sin City, X-Men series, Hellboy, Citroën dancing robot car, too many more to list right now).
Nope:

The power of AMD64 technology with Direct Connect Architecture allows cutting-edge filmmakers like Robert Rodriguez to redefine the rules of production. No actual “film” was used in the process. Digital artists under Rodriguez’ direction at his Troublemaker Studios in Austin, Texas, used AMD64 technology-based workstations and servers running Avid’s Softimage XSI software on top of Microsoft’s Windows XP Pro operating system to pre-visualize scenes, create and render high definition (HD) digital composites, add visual effects, edit and produce a final HD digital master.
doesnt pixar use apple computers since steve jobs was the ceo
blisteringsilence

Maj.Do wrote:

The Stillhouse Kid wrote:

Marconius wrote:

Nope:

doesnt pixar use apple computers since steve jobs was the ceo
Pixar uses a blend of macs and SG workstations. Jobs being CEO is second to the fact that pixar wants to be know as the company on the forefront of digital animation, and they'll use whatever they have to to keep it that way
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6704|San Francisco
The Avid and AMD systems were not the only ones used.  Rodriguez cuts all of his films together with Final Cut Pro.  You can see the system he uses in the special features part of Sin City.  Eovia, Shake, the AutoDesk suite...there were several computers used in the film, the primary ones being Mac.  Seeing as how you pulled your quote out of an AMD website, they are obviously going to tote up how their machines were used.  After talking to the VFX director and meeting several of the artists from Hybride at NAB two years in a row, it's safe to say that they primarily used Macs in Sin City.

While they used AMD hardware at Troublemaker studios, a lot of the VFX were done at Hybride studios, especially using plug-ins from one of our fellow companies.

My point was not to nitpick about whether Macs were used in particular movies or not, but Macs are always a part of a creative pipeline in the vast majority of high-end film production today.
EarlOfBronze
A Wolf Among Lambs
+19|6531

Marconius wrote:

It's not fervor...it's just getting annoyed that the only reason a good majority of Windows users give for their disdain for Macs is "They Suck!!" whereas we can give perfectly logical reasons as to why we prefer using our systems and do not enjoy the Windows environment.

Macs are expensive, I'll give you that.  To make a machine that will equal the production value of a Mac using only PC hardware, you'll still run into the price range of a Mac anyways (AMD or Intel maching running Linux with a Quadro FX 4500 or 5500 production card that will run AutoDesk's Toxik compositing software can become equal if not more expensive than the top of the line Mac G5s running Shake (not to mention the overall additional costs of an IT department for system maintenance and tech support for both Linux and Windows machines)).

Cyborg put it nice and simple...Macs are for production and work, and PCs are gaming rigs.

It's just nice to get some discourse in this issue without morons going "OMG!  Mac userz are teh ghey! One button LOLZ!!1!" for 15 posts...
The problem with a mac is that its so limited by software compatibility(not as bad as it was with the introduction of the Intel macs) U can't play games and a lot of software is designed with only windows in mind due to the amount of the market windows controls. A mac is fantastic for design and development but u can still do everything a mac can do on a PC and game 2. The only issue with PCs is the instability in Windows and the amount of crap windows runs in the background.
c0mplex1ty
Too X-Core
+100|6570|laguna beach, ca
i got -1 for the reason "Macs suckss ass"

https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a387/jace1/negative11.jpg

you, sir, are pretty intelligent...
ghettoperson
+1,943|6659

pndragon26 wrote:

I think Marconious put it best, great post. But as a mac person I have to type something...
I use a mac and a PC everyday, mac at home and work to make money and get work done. PC to play games. My PC: 2.61GHz AMD 64 FX-55, 2g of ram, 7800 video...mac is only a 1GHz (G4), 256 video, 2G of ram.
The mac still rips large print files just as fast as the PC (not talking about little baby web images in RGB at 72ppi, I mean the REAL files, large format 315MB+ CMYK files with hundreds of layers,masks, plenty of channels... all the fun stuff), handles fonts much better (still use postscript in the design world) shows my color much better, and lets me get done faster than my PC.
I started on PCs and can not see how anyone can "work" off them in PRINT design. If I run Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, any web browser and email software, as well as suitcase, my PC -as strong as it is- crashes or drags along. The same programs running in OSX on my mac, no problem at all.
Ironicly, if I am only using dreamweaver or flash, I actually like my PC better... but I still create all my images on my mac then bring them over. And I am primaraly a print designer, don't do web work often.
I only play with video (on the mac) so I can't comment on that with any real info.
I'm a designer, I don't know computers or care to learn. Its not what I went to school for. I just want to create my artwork and cash my check, so I use a mac. When I want to play games you have to use a PC, the mac has "some" great games, but you have to wait till they get ported (year or two later) but once out they look great! And rarely (in my opinion) do they crash or cause problems. But especially if you want to play online, PC wins. But in order to enjoy all the fun, bills have to be paid and nothing does that better than my mac.
Oh... how do you turn off a Windows PC?... you click on the START button...?

Windows Vista is "said" to be better... Then when can we see it? I bet it looks a lot like OSX. Redmond start your photocopiers...
I find that hard to believe. I have just been re installing a whole bunch of G4's, and I can saftly say that they are slow as fuck. If Apple processors are so amazing, why did they switch over to Intel?
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6704|San Francisco
G4's are slow as hell, but a G4 even running OS 9 could run circles around the comparable (non-tweaked) PCs that came out at the same time in graphics and multi-tasking.

The G5s are amazing processors, but if you just do a little research, you'll notice that our 3GHz benchmark was about a year late.  Jobs dropped Motorola and IBM and made a business decision to go with Intel, since they had technology ready and waiting for the new speed upgrades. 

Simple business...if one company promises and doesn't deliver on time, and consistently does so, then you have to make an informed choice to either stay with them or move on to someone better.

So far, the Intel chips absolutely trounce the G5s.  As soon as more software becomes native/Universal, the Mac will become an extremely powerful production machine, with the ability to run Windows via Boot Camp or CrossOver, and still have all the benefits that the integrated production programs enjoy in OS X.

I played with Shake running on a MacBook Pro when I was at NAB.  Holy fuck...it was absolutely SCREAMING in comparison to my Dual 2.5 G5 rig here at home.  If Shake artists (like myself) can pull off complex shots in a fraction of the time it takes now, then all the better for the companies that use Shake artists...plus it will put Apple back on the map hardware and software-wise as a direct competitor to Nuke and AutoDesk's software.
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6605|Ohio, USA
This is a completely biased poll at the wrong place, but I will play along...

I voted for PCs as I find them easier to work with (grant it I have 100x more experience with them than a mac).  I occasionally use a mac at work (IT) and I can see where they do have benefits --

- less security flaws (grant it less people attack them because of the smaller marketshare)
- easier install of programs/OS
- more user friendly (if you are willing to pick it up)
- more portable (depending on model)
- better multitasking/development offerings than a PC would have.

Now to better benefit the Mac world they began shipping intel processors with their computers which allows people to dual-boot (or use Parallels -- similar to a VmWare application) that allows you to switch between OSX and XP on the same PC.  That range of ability puts a heavy lean towards moving to Apple computers because of their freedom and the ability of a user to choose between the two, and sometimes on the fly.  Also, because of the ability to install XP on the Mac you are able to play games on it, with no problems (minus some hardware quibbles here and there).  I have also read that a Mac can run XP faster because of the drivers that are installed are from a Mac on not the regular XP/developer drivers - but I still need to see some more proof of that.
TheEqualizer
+6|6542|Maryland, USA

Janus67 wrote:

I have also read that a Mac can run XP faster because of the drivers that are installed are from a Mac on not the regular XP/developer drivers - but I still need to see some more proof of that.
MaximumPC ran some benchmarks on a Mac and it ran XP faster than it ran OS X.  The question is:  Is that kudos to Microsoft or to Apple?  Seems kind of ironic that the Mac ran XP faster than its own OS.

EDIT:  Inserting direct quotes from the mag:

"The Mac runs Windows XP better than it runs OS X...On Mac hardware, apps run significantly faster in Windows XP than they do in OS X."

(Source: Maximum PC, July 2006, pages 49-50)

Anyway, I've always been a PC user (I build my own) and it's all I need for what I do.  Surf the web, send some emails, play battlefield, play more battlefield, boot into linux once in a while for the heck of it.  For me, the PC does everything I need it to do.  Of course, I haven't used a Mac since the 90's so I could be missing out, but I have fun buying components and building a sweet rig on a tight budget.

Last edited by TheEqualizer (2006-07-03 07:49:16)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

I vote for the Vic-20.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard