ECH
+50|6636|Some where near you
Update, I deleted some temp files from C:\Documents and Settings\...Local Settings\Temp\~e5.0001.dir.0000\*.tmp   Instead of ctd when I hit the join button it now happens when I am gaming., an all time first for me.  But I tried another server and no probelms so far.  I am not sure what those temp files do but it changed the way I CTD the 1st 2 times and for last 3 other times I didn't crash at all.

I placed the .tmp files in the recycle bin for now.  I am still testing as well but looks positive so far.   This is by no means a perm fix, may not even be a temp fix for some of you.  I can only hope this fixes the problem until we get a hotfix
Rutnab
+15|6639
actually, that file is caused by a virus
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6757|Dallas

Rutnab wrote:

actually, that file is caused by a virus
Yep.  Virus.  Sucks to be you.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6752|San Antonio, Texas
All it is is CD copy protection...NOT a virus...
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6757|Dallas

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

All it is is CD copy protection...NOT a virus...
Shhhhh!!!!!!!!
ECH
Ok, I have tried this idea to see if this would at lease decrease CTD.  What's amazing is that BF2 runs a lot faster and smoother now. I have played 5 games online and 5 games single player and not 1 CTD.  I cannot say this will work for everyone.  I post it because it worked for me so I want to share.

Here is what you do. 
Download and install this update cd protect file
http://www.macrovision.com/products/saf … oads.shtml
Install the file.

Now,
-Click on start
-Click on run
-Type is regedit then hit the enter key
-You are now inside your registry you want to go to: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
-Then you want to look for:
clearpagefileatshutdown 0
-Right click on the word, select modify then enter 1 in place of 0 then hit enter.
-Clearpagefileatshutdown 1 <--it should now look like this.
-Reboot
-Play BF2 now and see if this helps increase performance and reduce (this is not a perm. fix) CTD.

EDIT: THIS WILL INCREASE THE TIME IT TAKES TO SHUTDOWN XP AS IT WILL DELETE all contents in the page file on every shutdown.

Last edited by ECH (2006-06-14 17:00:34)

panderiz
+32|6759
^^ anyone confirm this?
ECH
has anyone tried it yet?
oStoneRo
+9|6634
you mom did and she said she couldnt shit right for a week
[n00b]Tyler
Banned
+505|6587|Iceland

oStoneRo wrote:

you mom did and she said she couldnt shit right for a week
how more lame do u get? jesus christ.
ECH
another 4 more rounds and still no CTD yet.
[RaWr]-Impsux
Have Guns, Will Travel.
+28|6549

ECH wrote:

another 4 more rounds and still no CTD yet.
I can play many rounds without a CTD, even a few days. I don't see how changing your registry to delete the page file every time you shut down would change anything? Is there something I missed?
ECH
about 8-9 more rounds and no CTD.  I usually get them once every 3 rounds.  So far so good.  I cannot explain why this works for me (I cannot guarantee it will work for you) however, it works...this I cannot deny.

Last edited by ECH (2006-06-15 22:46:38)

ECH
I have a few confirmations that this works from other boards, please try this and tell me if it works for you or not, please?

It was suggested to me to update my version of SafeDisc here. <---place your mouse here (over the words "SafeDisc here"

I also set my pagefile to delete on shutdown.  This is an extreme measure as this "may" only need to be done once.  However, so far after 12+ rounds and 4+ startups of BF2 I have yet to have a single CTD.  I have on 2 occasions been kicked from servers do to crashes (in which you are kicked back to BF2’s browser, upon return to the server you see “Need X amount of people…)

Here is what I did to clear the pagefile:

-Click on start
-Click on run
-Type is regedit then hit the enter key
-You are now inside your registry you want to go to: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
-Then you want to look for:
clearpagefileatshutdown 0
-Right click on the word, select modify then enter 1 in place of 0 then hit enter.
-Clearpagefileatshutdown 1 <--it should now look like this.
-Reboot
-Play BF2 <-or you can change it back to 0 something I haven't done yet

Is it possible that enable or disabling this copy protection reduces CTD? I don't know as I can only speak for my system at the moment.

Does the pagefile have anything to do with BF2?  I cannot say for certain all I know is by doing the above I no longer CTD (it's been roughly 32 hours so far vs. CTD every 3 server I join).  I am sure people can debate the functionality between the ~e5.0001 file and pagefile but truth be told for me, its working so what can I say?

Last edited by ECH (2006-06-16 22:22:32)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard