Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6140|eXtreme to the maX
"a class of internet user who cling to cliché targets for a sense of superiority and relief"

Irony is not something you studied as part of your lit degrees then?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6532

irony is something my wife does to my shirts before she hangs them in my closet before making me a sammich to my daytime job
LittleBitchy
I hope Hell has wi-fi.
+150|5494|Yeah, there :)

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Still a sporting goods store? Does .sup work with you? He used to work at a sporting goods store too.
Yes No he doesn't, he worked in a different one and i have no idea where he is now.

@PrivateVendetta you already have the answer now
Fall seven times. Stand up eight.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4289

Dilbert_X wrote:

"a class of internet user who cling to cliché targets for a sense of superiority and relief"

Irony is not something you studied as part of your lit degrees then?
i diss you for specific reasons. i'll attack your dumb arguments into the ground. am i here recycling the same tired 'lol hipster faggots' jibes that all losers on the internet do? no. if i make out i am superior to you in any sense, it is very much rooted in the particular and rooted in some specific reasoning/history of argument. you blanket hate groups and re-use these dumb, empty hype terms (emo, hipster, humanities student), as if they have any validity. all they do is reflect your own insecurity about 'where you fit in', or how you compare to these abstract (and quite heterogeneous) groups.

and yes, actually, i wrote an 8,000 word paper on irony and its relation in classicist/romanticist dialectics and the current postmodern condition. it received a distinction, and i'm going to redraft it in the next ~3 months in order to be published in a leading modernist criticism/theory journal. would you care to read it? dilderp.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4289
Good things that have happened in your life lately
i quit my job today. no more corporate grad slog. freelance writing and wine-tasting now.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6666|949

Anything lined up? Can you make enough to get by doing freelance writing?
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4289
the freelance writing will just be fun on the side. i'm financially sorted. going to do what i mentioned above and redraft 2-3 of my MA theses, on the recommendation of my professors, to be published in academic journals. it'll secure my PhD funding/placement 100% if i can jump ahead and get published, 2-3 years ahead of the normal expected curve of progression (it's typically a thing to do during your mid-term PhD research).

might do a publishing internship that i had offered to me through a networked contact. 1 month.

i want to be in korea by summer. because it'll take a year of my time, and i have to take up my dphil place at oksferd in the fall.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6666|949

I have a friend doing a phd in lit and one of the requirements is to present your thesis in (I think) at least one other language. Do you guys have the same requirement? If I recall our convo, he says its due to the academic requirements still being a bit out of date (I think he said they haven't really changed the structure since the early 1920s, even though the scope has changed). His is about a 6 year process. I think he does it at UCLA but it may be at a Cal State or UCI
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4289
what? if you're doing a thesis in french, russian, italian, romance etc. languages, then yes, of course. as for presenting a thesis on american or english literature in another language - how does that even make sense? either you misheard/misunderstood, or your friend's thesis actually entails some foreign-language/thought elements. the only way that would make normal academic sense is if california belonged to mexico, and UCLA was a mexican state university (i.e. requiring work to be submitted/defended in the official language). a PhD is an enormous amount of work. what sense would there be in having to present it in a second language, that is not relevant to the study in any way? 150,000 words and 5 years' of work in shakespeare... now translate it and present it in german, just because? uuuuuuuh no.

although to even get into most high-end humanities/philosophy/literature type post-grad school, you need a second (or third) language under your belt. at least conversationally. that's just the standard. even if you're doing an english language study, you'll be expected to encounter and read a lot of other (european) languages in your wide-reading. i've read a lot of french in my time, despite the fact i'm under an english department. but that's neither here nor there when it comes to PhD 'requirements'. it's just kinda like a basic level of education required to get to that level of study. ditto knowledge of ancient languages -- greek, latin.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6666|949

Dunno, maybe I misheard him. He's been published too, but it was history-related for his undergrad. I think he's a contributing editor for his schools journal. His shit is extremely boring to read, but I guess if you're interested in john damascenes views of nascent islam or the existence of greek fire in ancient battle its cool. I find an air of pretension around the whole thing, but I guess its like that for any study once you get to that point.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4289
history is very dry.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5620

Have fun in Korea. Wish I could join you.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4289
well almost any college grad can. it's not exactly a hard thing to do.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5620

I am considering the Pacific islands. I figure with an American citizenship I shouldn't have too hard a time hooking up with girls.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,974|6666|949

Korea is cold as fuck. Other than that yeah, you can make great money teaching english there.

Macb, south america is another one to consider. A lot of women down there are just waiting for their brown knight. Although you do have the whole 'not white' thing going against you
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5620

I wonder how not white would do in yellow land China. Not too many darkies there so I might be the exotic one.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6034|Vortex Ring State

Macbeth wrote:

I wonder how not white would do in yellow land China. Not too many darkies there so I might be the exotic one.
a lot of chinese women like the monies
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4289
koreans hate non-whites. confucian thought teaches them that they're even superior to whities, but racism against dark skinned people is terrible. black people in korea get turned down for jobs a lot. i've heard a lot of stories about affluent, well-educated black americans having to go to the hospital in korea for 'AIDS tests'. lol.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6727
I was doing a research on teaching in Korea and every where I looked people were saying don't apply if you aren't white.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4289
yup.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6751

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

koreans hate non-whites. confucian thought teaches them that they're even superior to whities, but racism against dark skinned people is terrible. black people in korea get turned down for jobs a lot. i've heard a lot of stories about affluent, well-educated black americans having to go to the hospital in korea for 'AIDS tests'. lol.
East Asia is pretty retarded if you're a non-white. Ton's of black south africans get turned down for english teaching gigs because they weren't "native speakers." I rarely see any black people in Asia and when I do they're usually either baseball players, students on a scholarship or they work as entertainers in amusement parks.

Zique's gig isn't going to be some shitty cram school mac, he's going for the big league international schools where the actual money is at, where race isn't really an issue.

edit: oh and they'd also ask for a "photo" on a resume so they can discriminate even more.

Last edited by Cybargs (2013-03-08 17:51:43)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5620

Then it is settled. Pacific islands it is then.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4289
you have to be white, well educated, and good looking. then you get to look after rich asian's kids, who basically want their kids to go onto good ivy-type universities in the west, and put on the mannerisms and affectations of the white posh elite. thus i am a role model. thus i shall rake in grands. thus i shall bang many asians. thus shall be my righteous might.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4289

Macbeth wrote:

Then it is settled. Pacific islands it is then.
lol no chance. they'll think you're caliban, and try to burn you.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6751

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

you have to be white, well educated, and good looking. then you get to look after rich asian's kids, who basically want their kids to go onto good ivy-type universities in the west, and put on the mannerisms and affectations of the white posh elite. thus i am a role model. thus i shall rake in grands. thus i shall bang many asians. thus shall be my righteous might.
and you go to oksferd. Pretty much any asian parent would approve you once you whip out your degree.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard