Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6473|6 6 4 oh, I forget

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Atleast I get some pussy
But how do you know it's going to be a girl?
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6473|6 6 4 oh, I forget

DesertFox- wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Atleast I get some pussy
But how do you know it's going to be a girl?
Shit. What I should have said was; atleast I got some pussy
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

We have far too many sub-cultures that couldn't care less about education.
Just say blacks and spics, no-one here is going to mind.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I don't think the system itself is the bad thing. (Thought it can be improved upon). I think the main issue is that 25% of the U.S. children live below the poverty line. And there is a big chunk who live awfully near it that they don't have the time, energy, means, or knowledge to help their kid succeed in school never mind become a well educated citizen.
Poverty doesn't help, but it's got more to do with cultural issues. We have far too many sub-cultures that couldn't care less about education. There's obviously exceptions to every rule, but who respects education? Jews, Asians and middle-upper class white people, many of whom were dirt poor when they arrived. But we're not allowed to talk about cultures in this country...
We can talk about culture. You just have a habit of being boorish when it comes to the subject.

Pray tell us, the Asians with the good culture of education are they also the ones you complain about moving into your neighborhood? Are they the same yellow plague?
I'm not taking away their value from education, I respect that. I just hate the extreme selfishness and rudeness.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

I like how jay knows so much about the motivation and skill set of teachers and yet thinks he can teach college level history as an adjunct with a technical school degree in air conditioning.
My degree is in mechanical engineering. My focus was power plant design and ship's propulsion. What I design now are commercial heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. You know, big boiler plants, control systems, air handlers etc. The stuff that makes modern life and tall buildings possible.

I certainly think I'm intelligent enough to teach kids such as easy a subject as history.

Last edited by Jay (2015-09-01 03:23:48)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
And what if it is a community college? Who cares? We're talking about a second career here, who am I trying to impress?

Uzi, you really need to stop with the status obsession, you're going to give yourself a heart attack.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3452
jay

you need an undergrad degree in history
Minimum
to teach kids at community college
Period
people with PhD's from Berkeley spend 25 years being adjuncts. you make out it's something you do with a casual hobby. good luck competing in that job pool with someone who has studied and researched for 40-50 hours a week for 6 years.

your an morone

Last edited by uziq (2015-09-01 03:54:25)

uziq
+492|3452
I also love how you think you have the difficulty of these subjects down because you satisfied a shitty book report elective as part of your degree. so you did two pages of a4 on a book report for your pog college and now you've got mastery of a discipline to compete with kids from Princeton. 

that's like me thinking I've got engineering as a late life backup plan because I passed the mechanics paper on my high school physics exam and can remember how pivots work.

mohroon ist du
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

I also love how you think you have the difficulty of these subjects down because you satisfied a shitty book report elective as part of your degree. so you did two pages of a4 on a book report for your pog college and now you've got mastery of a discipline to compete with kids from Princeton. 

that's like me thinking I've got engineering as a late life backup plan because I passed the mechanics paper on my high school physics exam and can remember how pivots work.

mohroon ist du
No one from Princeton is trying to teach at a community college. They're too status obsessed like you.

Why not? It's not that hard. Here, code requires 17 cfm of fresh air per office worker. You plan for the coldest day so 0F and your discharge temperature should be above room temp so people don't feel a draft, so 80F. We'll say there are ten workers. Ready?

BTU = 1.08(17*10)(80-0)

That's how many BTU you need to heat the fresh air. See? Simple math anyone can do.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3452
you don't know anything about the job market. top PhD grads squabble for jobs in nowhere colleges. universities aren't growing at the same rate that doctoral theses are being submitted.

sorry, 'status obsession' does not equal 'requisite qualifications'. do you cry about status obsession when they don't let you in the courts to represent someone as well?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

you don't know anything about the job market. top PhD grads squabble for jobs in nowhere colleges. universities aren't growing at the same rate that doctoral theses are being submitted.

sorry, 'status obsession' does not equal 'requisite qualifications'. do you cry about status obsession when they don't let you in the courts to represent someone as well?
Teaching out of a single textbook hardly requires the same level of expertise and training that practicing law does. If it were truly difficult there wouldn't be a thousand applicants per position like there are for teaching positions here on long island. Don't try to oversell the difficulty.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3452
what sort of college are you talking about where subjects are regurgitated from a 'single textbook'? all adjunct professors require PhD's. why are you even still arguing over this point? it's like trying to argue that black is white.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
bad thing i just dislocated my right ring finger during flag rugby... guess who gets to use a computer during exams!
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

uziq wrote:

what sort of college are you talking about where subjects are regurgitated from a 'single textbook'? .
law school. then again our textbooks are 1000 pages long with multiple cases and extracts
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

what sort of college are you talking about where subjects are regurgitated from a 'single textbook'? all adjunct professors require PhD's. why are you even still arguing over this point? it's like trying to argue that black is white.
English/humanities classes were generally the only classes that required multiple books.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
History is part of the humanities.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

History is part of the humanities.
Did you generally need more that one text per history class? I'm talking history 101, 102, 201, 202

Last edited by Jay (2015-09-01 05:33:46)

-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3452
I can't even believe what sort of college experience jay must have had where he thinks every class can be taught out of one book. I have about 200 texts in a crate somewhere from my undergrad reading lists. and I took most of the theoretical or anthology texts out of the library because they were too expensive and bulky to own.

WTF
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

I can't even believe what sort of college experience jay must have had where he thinks every class can be taught out of one book. I have about 200 texts in a crate somewhere from my undergrad reading lists. and I took most of the theoretical or anthology texts out of the library because they were too expensive and bulky to own.

WTF
You have a degree in reading.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
Uh yeah. Rarely did we have actual text books in the sense you're probably thinking. We didn't use stuff like this.

We mostly used university press books or stuff from journalist. Also, the reading you get that are put up on Sakai are often primary source stuff that is impossible to find for your average student.

For instance in my medieval Italy class last semester this is the books we used.

We used all of those and had readings posted online from medieval Italian authors, Roman historians and emperors. And Greek and Muslim shit too.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2015-09-01 05:40:04)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Mechanics of Materials (9th Edition) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0133254429/re … 5vbX11BYV0

912 pages, $200
Multiply that by 30 and you have am engineering degree.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Uh yeah. Rarely did we have actual text books in the sense you're probably thinking. We didn't use stuff like this.

We mostly used university press books or stuff from journalist. Also, the reading you get that are put up on Sakai are often primary source stuff that is impossible to find for your average student.

For instance in my medieval Italy class last semester this is the books we used.

We used all of those and had readings posted online from medieval Italian authors, Roman historians and emperors. And Greek and Muslim shit too.
You're talking about elective classes, totally different. I'm talking freshman/sophomore level history.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You're talking about elective classes, totally different. I'm talking freshman/sophomore level history.
At RU we have two classes Called Patterns in Civilization. It compared topics between western and Japanese cultures. One is about death and one is about love. They fill in multiple basic requirements so you have more space to take stuff that interest you. We read in that class about death

There was also a PDF novel of some Japanese shit that was from like 200 AD. We read the trial of Joan of Arc. Like the actual direct sources. The founding story of Shinto. Some stuff from the Bible. A bunch of other crap that I can't remember off the top of my head. Those are mostly all novels above.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2015-09-01 05:54:13)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

You have a degree in reading.
Engineering really is just maths and knowledge, sorry.

Arts/Humanities are somewhat more than reciting textbooks - hence I don't do them.

And to be blunt you didn't really do an engineering degree, you did a technicians degree.
Plugging numbers into equations is not engineering, developing equations from first principles of maths and the fundamental physics - that is engineering.

Could you develop this set of equations starting with 1+1=2? Could you adapt it to a situation no other engineer has seen before? I sincerely doubt it.

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/Images/nseqs.gif

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2015-09-01 06:32:12)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard