SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

professors essentially are the only people who truly do what they love and get paid for it. no one just casually strolls into it
I love what I do and get paid for it.

Your an mormon
did you grow up wanting to be a HVAC engineer? you've said here before you'd ideally love to teach history in semi-retirement, I.e. make your intellectual interests pay. so you're being a bit disingenuous to cybargs there.
It would probably get boring quick teaching the local board of education approved version of history they give you to teach. It is probably the subject you get the least amount of leeway to teach.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

college?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
I am pretty sure the difficulty of getting a college position has been a theme the last few pages. No one is semi-retiring into a position at CUNY in their fifties. Let's be realistic.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

who says it has to be at CUNY or Harvard or any "prestigious" school?
uziq
+492|3453
you're not going to semi-retire into any academic job at college level without a PhD. a PhD in the humanities can take 8-9 years now in the states. good luck finding a job in anything better than a dogshit community college when you're starting your teaching career at 50+.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

but who cares if it's at a "dogshit community college" if you're talking about semi-retirement?
uziq
+492|3453
i guess you missed the part where you need at least an undergrad+masters in the subject to be qualified to teach.

'semi-retire' into 5 years of examinations and tuition fees? great plan!

Last edited by uziq (2015-08-31 16:43:20)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5359|London, England

uziq wrote:

i guess you missed the part where you need at least an undergrad+masters in the subject to be qualified to teach.

To be an adjunct? Hardly
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3453

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

To be an adjunct? Hardly
Education to become an adjunct professor
Becoming an adjunct professor is simple. Just  follow the same steps you would when seeking any tenure-track  professorial position in a university. The first step is, of course, to get a degree, and preferably an advanced one. While some trade schools and community colleges might hire an adjunct professor with a bachelor’s degree to teach lower level courses, universities will usually require a master degree or Ph.D. of their professors, including adjunct professors.
most people with PhD's from leading universities spend their whole careers being adjuncts now.

https://i.huffpost.com/gen/1456172/thumbs/o-ADJUNCT-FACULTY-570.jpg?1

jay how many dudes like you do you think there are out there, who read a few non-fiction history books from the amazon top 100 each year and like to self-fancy themselves as some inspiring lecturer or public intellectual? you are ten a penny. it takes a lifetime of learning and effort to work in academia. it is more competitive than law in terms of applicants:new job postings.

Last edited by uziq (2015-08-31 17:08:02)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
My degree is in history. I have many books from university presses as well as primary source books that are no longer in print. I believe I am the most qualified to teach history here.
uziq
+492|3453
no one should be allowed to teach anything with just an undergrad degree. it just isn't advanced enough. over here to even teach high-school you need an advanced/professional degree in the teaching technique part, at least.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
In the U.S., to teach history in high school you just need a B.A. in Education and a few American history classes. I don't think there are any states that require you to get a full degree in history to be able to teach it. A M.A. in Education, which I was considering until I saw the price tag, would make your CV look a lot better than most teachers.

But in the age of privatization, home schooling, union busting and charter schools, I wouldn't be surprised if standards to be allowed to teach go down. Interestingly in N.J. standards just went up. You need at least a 3.0 GPA to get access to a class room full of young people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ -
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6291|Washington St.
i don't think it's any mystery the US has a real problem with the quality of teachers in k-12 as well as the pay. is it the chicken or the egg? not sure, but probably no person with an iq above 14 will say education needs no reform. hell even most politicians say it and they don't know how to stop lying.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720
I don't think the system itself is the bad thing. (Thought it can be improved upon). I think the main issue is that 25% of the U.S. children live below the poverty line. And there is a big chunk who live awfully near it that they don't have the time, energy, means, or knowledge to help their kid succeed in school never mind become a well educated citizen.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6685|United States of America
Judging from my high school classmates who became teachers, it sure makes me glad I'm not having kids that need edumacatin' any time soon. Granted, teachers get sweet fuckall for appreciation when they're essentially tasked with socializing the coming generations of bedwetters, most of whom will not appreciate the efforts of their educators at the time.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I don't think the system itself is the bad thing. (Thought it can be improved upon). I think the main issue is that 25% of the U.S. children live below the poverty line. And there is a big chunk who live awfully near it that they don't have the time, energy, means, or knowledge to help their kid succeed in school never mind become a well educated citizen.
Poverty doesn't help, but it's got more to do with cultural issues. We have far too many sub-cultures that couldn't care less about education. There's obviously exceptions to every rule, but who respects education? Jews, Asians and middle-upper class white people, many of whom were dirt poor when they arrived. But we're not allowed to talk about cultures in this country...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

Judging from my high school classmates who became teachers, it sure makes me glad I'm not having kids that need edumacatin' any time soon. Granted, teachers get sweet fuckall for appreciation when they're essentially tasked with socializing the coming generations of bedwetters, most of whom will not appreciate the efforts of their educators at the time.
Of all my teacher friends, there is exactly one that I would want teaching my own child. Far too many people go into the profession because they want to smoke weed at the beach all summer
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3720

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Poverty doesn't help, but it's got more to do with cultural issues. We have far too many sub-cultures that couldn't care less about education. There's obviously exceptions to every rule, but who respects education? Jews, Asians and middle-upper class white people, many of whom were dirt poor when they arrived. But we're not allowed to talk about cultures in this country...
We can talk about culture. You just have a habit of being boorish when it comes to the subject.

Pray tell us, the Asians with the good culture of education are they also the ones you complain about moving into your neighborhood? Are they the same yellow plague?
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6474|6 6 4 oh, I forget

So, ultrasound showed an increase on global overpopulation for next year.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6738|Oxferd Ohire
https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/6/6d/I_Married_Marge_-00119.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150116041222
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Ultrafunkula

Atleast I get some pussy
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6324|Graz, Austria
Here's a visual guide.
uziq
+492|3453
I like how jay knows so much about the motivation and skill set of teachers and yet thinks he can teach college level history as an adjunct with a technical school degree in air conditioning.
Ultrafunkula

I'm familiar with diapers. Got a 2,5 year old kid already
uziq
+492|3453
take it to the ambiguous things that have happened in your life lately thread.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard