_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6739|Riva, MD
Well, now that I think about it, somebody in our department on my regular weekend is switching into another department at that time so a slot will definitely free up and they already know I want back in.

I don't know what else I would do if I had to quit though, I have no degree and just three years of IT experience from interning for the tech coordinator in high school.  $16 an hour for unskilled labor would be hard to find elsewhere.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2015-09-09 08:11:06)

Pocshy2.0
+23|3393
Maybe that's the clarion call to save your pennies now and head to a community college for a new career path.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3742
Can you get away with using drugs at work? You can buy drugs to get you through work with more hours.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Pocshy2.0
+23|3393
Why buy the drugs to use at work when you can make the drugs your work? Cut the middle man right out.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6739|Riva, MD
I've come in high twice and I think I also came in buzzed once all in the first year, which was pretty awesome but it was too risky to do regularly and I noticed being high caused me to fuck up more which is bad when doing data entry
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6496|6 6 4 oh, I forget

I hate my job. I need a new job. I have no interview
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3982|SL,UT

i was interviewed today via Skype. i went to lunch from my current job, called the number emailed to me, and had an interview with someone a coupla thousand miles away.

on my phone.

oh, and the post two up from this one is both true and priceless . . .
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6313|Washington St.

_j5689_ wrote:

I've come in high twice and I think I also came in buzzed once all in the first year, which was pretty awesome but it was too risky to do regularly and I noticed being high caused me to fuck up more which is bad when doing data entry
Didn't you used to work at a restaurant? Or am I losing my mind?

I thought that's where you had the nympho married chicks chat you up for some side-action.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+636|3742
Used to work at a super market. Sold his grandmother so much IT work, he joined the industry.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6765|London

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Used to work at a super market. Sold his grandmother so much IT work, he joined the industry.
I've read that last sentence 5 times but I can't figure it out

He sold his grandmother? He joined the grandmother selling industry? What is going on here
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Pocshy2.0
+23|3393

Dauntless wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I've read that last sentence 5 times but I can't figure it out

He sold his grandmother? He joined the grandmother selling industry? What is going on here
I think it means he used the experience gained selling IT services to his grandmother to move into the IT industry for real, presumably selling to people who are not his grandmother.
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3982|SL,UT

just accepted a new job. gave myself a raise, 100% health care, eighteen PTO and 10 holidays - fuck me, it's like i moved to a socialiast States of America!
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6496|6 6 4 oh, I forget

10 holidays? I have 30 https://www.n-europe.com/forum/images/smilies/grin.gif
jsnipy
+3,276|6545|...

Ultrafunkula wrote:

10 holidays? I have 30
goddamn euros and your work/life balance
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6704|Disaster Free Zone
America is one of 9 countries with no mandatory paid leave. It's not just euros.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s … by_country

Also most people also get paid for public holidays. But not in corporate America where you might not even get the day off.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6313|Washington St.
If you don't get the day off, you get time x1.5 or 2. I know of almost nobody who tried not to work those days because of all the extra money.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6655|949

Everyone I know that has a career-oriented job has PTO and paid holidays.  Still, it is stupid that the US doesn't mandate PTO or maternity leave. 

Ultrafunkula wrote:

10 holidays? I have 30
30 days of PTO or 30 paid holiday days where you don't have to take PTO?  I've taken 36 days of paid time off this year and still have another 10+ days left.  That's in addition to the 14 paid holidays I have this year.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6313|Washington St.
I've taken 10 days off and still have 15 left + 23 sick days (if I want to take them) and none of that includes the 10 holidays
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6655|949

our sick days don't roll over

can you use your sick days as vacation? Some places don't allow you to take multiple sick days in a row as a replacement for PTO
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6313|Washington St.
there's no set rule but I think if you tell them you're taking a vacation in a month then you use all sick days for it, you're going to get a talking to. they also roll over but once you hit 250 or some obscene amount, you can't collect more. you can however gift them to people who have extended sicknesses or bereavement.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5381|London, England
I get 10 vacation, 5 sick and 1 personal. Will go up to 15 after 5 years
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6655|949

Jay wrote:

what about paid holidays?  2 weeks PTO bumped up to 3 weeks after 5 years is pretty standard from my experience.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6707|United States of America
Jeez. My PTO accrual maxes out at 30 days (accrue 20 days-worth in a year) for 0-5 years, plus 10-12 holidays a year. I just wish we had more staff that I'd actually get to take days off, though.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6128|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

our sick days don't roll over

can you use your sick days as vacation? Some places don't allow you to take multiple sick days in a row as a replacement for PTO
I know an Italian who saves up his sick days and goes to Italy for a month.

Damn public employees, doesn't happen in the private sector.

Jay wrote:

No wonder you're mad.

I get 4 weeks holiday, 2 weeks sick (I think) public holidays plus after 10 years a bonus 13 week lump - accessible pro-rata after 7 years.

Although the longest I've been anywhere is 5 years which is now. I usually take my time off between jobs.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+687|6313|Washington St.
is 20 days (excluding sick and country-holidays) typical for Australia?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard