DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6678|Disaster Free Zone

Dilbert_X wrote:

Erm, dealers just trade in used cars, you're still at the mercy of the previous owner.

Get something simple, which preferably is unlikely to have been thrashed.
A Ford Ranger probably isn't too terrible, pretty hard to thrash them.
True, but proper dealerships have a reputation to uphold so anything they think is trash is sent to the auctions, scrapped or sold to the 'dodgy' dealers. Yes you do pay a premium, but you have a much better chance of getting a car that wont cost more in repairs then its worth.

No idea what 3.5k will buy you in the states, but I'm guessing from what you posted, anything is going to be up for some major engine/gearbox services (unless they've already been done) which unless you can do them yourself are going to cost as much as the car itself.
Benzin
+576|5996
Shifty, do yourself a favor and look at the costs of operating a vehicle first. You're what, 18? Insurance is going to rape you out the wazoo if you register that under your own name.

Do not buy from a dealer, buy from a private owner. The private owner will be able to give you a great deal more information about the history of the car, you'll pay less and you won't have to pay the tax and doc fees that dealers try and stick you with.

Also, find a friend that knows their stuff about shopping for used cars to bring with you on your escapades. Be patient and do your research ahead of time about insurance. You might also look into joining a car forum and seeing if anyone there can run a CarFax for you on vehicles you're considering. If you can't find anyone that has a CarFax account, purchase a short-term subscription for yourself.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
At the upper end dealers sell on trade-ins, so they often have an idea of the history, and push the junk off to auctions.

At the lower end many dealers buy their stock from auctions, so you're relying on them giving it a 30s once over, patching any problems in their workshop and flogging it on.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2012-03-08 03:38:28)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Benzin
+576|5996
Sorry Dilbert, but a dealer will often have NO history on a vehicle whatsoever. Just because it's a trade-in doesn't mean shit. If it's a certified used, that's a different story or if it's a trade-in that was originally bought at that dealership and has only had one owner. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but the rule is the dealer doesn't know shit. I've corrected salesmen so many times in the US about facts about the cars they were trying to sell me and saying "this car has xxx feature" when EVERY car has the same feature because it's an industry standard. That's why you have to educate yourself.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
Depends, if a dealer has sold and serviced the car until its been traded in for another then they might have an idea, obviously theres a difference between big-city and country dealers who might know their customers a little better.

But its all BS really, any used car can have all the right boxes ticked and have sprung a brief leak and boiled dry at some point in its life, its an expensive lottery, you can't win, the best you can hope for is not to lose too badly. All you can do is research and get people who have an idea to check them over.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6509|Gold Coast
Get a honda civic or ford taurus.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney
If you can check out a car with a service history and you're interested in the purchase, go talk to the mechanic.

For $3.5k you're not going to get anything great. You just want an economical, reliable car that's cheap to repair. Expect repairs if you want to hold it for five years because at $3.5k you're going to get something that's around 15 years old at least. If you get something non-sporty chances are the engine hasn't been flogged so it could still have quite a bit of legs left in it yet.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6460|cuntshitlake

Are you sure shifty, if you buy a car you'll have one excuse less
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6688|Devon, England
Aha ha ha
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5785|Catherine Black
stop being a stereotypical american as usual, you don't need a pickup

the focus is a better idea of what you want. you want small, 1-1.6l engine, no more than 100k miles, and something that's fairly common. (common = cheaper repair parts)

and don't think because you're a "straight-a" student you're going to get cheap car insurance, you'll still get fucked. You're a teenage male, therefore you're an idiot driver (in the insurers eyes). this is why you want a small car. Smaller car = less potential speed = smaller accident = cheaper repairs = cheaper insurance quote

I don't know if you guys have the same insurance comparing websites we have, like www.comparethemarket.com, www.confused.com, www.gocompare.com, but they're where you want to go to get a general idea about prices. Also, ask your parents if you can get put on their policy. If they don't go for it, ask them to be put under your name, but on a seperate policy (it'll still be cheaper, but they won't get their no-claims wrecked if you stick your car into an orphanage).
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5176|Sydney
Smaller car with less power = cheaper insurance especially if you're a male under 25. Just get a cheap, boring, economical car that is common for parts.

Just parroting what has been said already in the hope you listen.
DUnlimited
+1,160|6460|cuntshitlake

gotta love my 176€/year insurance. get screwed americans.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6471|6 6 4 oh, I forget

DUnlimited wrote:

That Lada is something, innit?
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6466

DUnlimited wrote:

How the fuck do you manage that when you fall asleep at the wheel?

Last edited by NooBesT (2012-03-08 07:15:06)

https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
DUnlimited
+1,160|6460|cuntshitlake

Ultrafunkula wrote:

DUnlimited wrote:

That Lada is something, innit?
1.8 GTI engine Golf -91

NooBesT wrote:

DUnlimited wrote:

How the fuck do you manage that when you fall asleep at the wheel?
I've never fallen asleep at the wheel, it was my brother. I was on the backseat.

Last edited by DUnlimited (2012-03-08 07:36:48)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6664

Sh1fty, talk to your insurance agent first.  You are in Cali.  Think $2k-$3K/year insurance regardless of what car you get.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6651
Can/will your parents insure it in their name, and just add you on the policy? You'll save a shitload. My rates have never been over $60/month.

And although I agree with everyone about getting a smaller, economical car....you would like driving the F150, and if it's got the inline 6 engine it probably wouldn't get much worse milelage than the Ranger (this is from personal experience, with a 94 F150 and a 92 Ranger....).
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6565|Mountains of NC

1st - get on your parents/mothers policy

2nd - you don't need a F-150 ...... if u want a truck stick with small model ( ranger/tacoma) 4x2 and get a V6

3rd - dont do a coupe .... stick with 4 door car

4th - buy from a private 1 owner seller ......... you'll have to broaden your search but since you got the cash you're at a better bargaining point

5th - GET A CARFAX
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6386
6th learn how to do your own maintenance and repairs
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6457|UK
We Americans we don't like them rice burning cars yeeeeh haaar!

I have a feeling if you buy any of them cars your are going to regret it.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6535|Long Island, New York
When I was quoted at 19 for insurance under my own name, it came out to $14K for the year. Best plan is to go onto an adult's policy and be listed as a driver. Even then it's probably going to be around $5K if not more for insurance alone. Only other way to keep the insurance down is if the car is insured under the parent's name and you're not listed as a driver.

Get a small 4 door. I have a 2011 Mazda 3 as my first car and I couldn't be happier. Works for the 230 mile commute from Albany to Long Island, great in the snow (survived a whiteout from Syracuse to Albany), great quality, has pretty solid power to it... as a first car, it's great. I'd recommend an older Mazda 3.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6565|Mountains of NC

hmmmmmmm we don't like rice burning cars .......... corolla been the #1 selling car for how many years
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
13/f/taiwan
+940|5696

wah1188 wrote:

We Americans we don't like them rice burning cars yeeeeh haaar!

I have a feeling if you buy any of them cars your are going to regret it.
uh, i see more "rice burners" then pick up trucks/suvs by ford, chevy or gmc. gas is not cheap here either.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5785|Catherine Black
"gas is not cheap here either"

call me when it's £1.40 a litre.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
DUnlimited
+1,160|6460|cuntshitlake

yeah about 1.70-1.75 EUR here. terrible. i remember when it was 1.20 EUR and everyone was already terrified at the price.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard