Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5988|London, England

I want this to be a serious discussion but im not sure that the people im trying to target browse DST

With all this shit about SOPA and piracy in general becoming a semi-talked about topic as of late I wanted to hear peoples opinions. Piracy has always been a simple concept to me; A company creates/sells a software product for people to purchase and use. Since this is not a physical purchase, generally, it can be illegally distributed easily and people can download this product and use it free of charge. Personally I find this idea immoral and obviously stealing but very difficult to prevent. I thought that this was a universally held ideology but ive been reading articles about places decriminalizing software piracy and mobs of people sharing "Finally, someone that gets it!" and "A government that listens to its people!" and I cant help but feel werid.

I guess this thread's main purpose is trying to understand if people really feel that they should be entitled to downloading anything they want or if this whole 'Death to big business' mentality is just humans getting in a group and following the mob.

If I made a poll I honestly believe that 100% of the votes would be for the option that said "I understand that piracy is stealing from the business that distributes the product"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6716
It's their own fault for not being smarter. If you want to stop pirates you need to build a navy. Obviously piracy is breaking the law. But I feel no guilt in breaking that law. People who flood my eyes and ears with garbage advertising in places it shouldn't be do not deserve my morality.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5507|Bolingbrook, Illinois
piracy isn't stealing.  when i download a trial of a program, i download the instructions that tell my computer how to run.  these instructions are called assembly and my computer reads it to figure out what to do.  now, say i'm tired of the trial version and i want the full thing.  i can debug the program, modify the instructions (assembly), and the program will now be a full version.

the same thing happens when you hack games, get infected by a virus, and etc.

it's not stealing if you look at it from a technical standpoint.

Last edited by HaiBai (2011-12-24 18:38:09)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6493
it's dishonest and poor show, period. you have to offset your online 'vices' by supporting the industry as much as you can otherwise - i know that's a tired cliche defense now, but so it is. instead of spending your disposable income on cd's and singles, as people did 10-15 years ago, it's good to at least still keep spending your money in ways that will drip-down to the artist. my own personal stance is that i pirate a fuck load (as an almost necessary evil to keep up with things and to see things evolve) but i spend most of my 'leisure' time and going-out cash on shows, clubnights, merch, vinyls, etc.etc. yada yada. plus using piracy as an implicit given standard, i've introduced and encouraged probably 20+ people to dozens and dozens of artists/albums. so you have to look at the positives and the negatives, really.

as regards law enforcement, i really think it's a dumb pursuit. the internet is global and piracy is a global problem. big business buying out legislature or lobbying for change in xyz country isn't going to halt the culture of 'everything is free' that many younger people completely take for granted. similarly, these criminal proceedings that reach the media, telling of some poor little shit getting fined $75,000 by the authorities for stealing 3 rihanna singles... just as fruitless. you're not going to bully or scare people out of an all-too-easy habit.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6493

HaiBai wrote:

piracy isn't stealing.  when i download a trial of a program, i download the instructions that tell my computer how to run.  these instructions are called assembly and my computer reads it to figure out what to do.  now, say i'm tired of the trial version and i want the full thing.  i can debug the program, modify the instructions (assembly), and the program will now be a full version.

thanks but we all already know this and didn't want an it lecture from the resident career programmer. cute, though. now how about you discuss the ethics - as posed in the op - instead of boring us all with your flashly display of jargon?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Roc18
`
+655|5814|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
It's against the law, which is wrong.

But we do it anyways lol.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4991|Dundee, Scotland.
Games are too expensive.
Music is too expensive.
Cinema is too expensive.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
HaiBai

Uzique wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

thanks but we all already know this and didn't want an it lecture from the resident career programmer. cute, though. now how about you discuss the ethics - as posed in the op - instead of boring us all with your flashly display of jargon?
if you werent retarded you would realize that i own my computer and i own everything on it.  i can change if i want to and that's completely legal and moral

edit: sorry for using 'jargon' i didn't know the word 'instruction' was too advanced for you.  i'll dumb it down for you next time.

Last edited by HaiBai (2011-12-24 19:08:33)

gurdeep
­
+812|4778|proll­y
can i pirate bf3?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6716
I buy books. I download movies and music. But not live music. That I pay for.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6172|'straya
Charge $1050AUD for Photoshop.

Wonder why people pirate it.
firebolt5
+114|6178

gurdeep wrote:

can i pirate bf3?
Pirating multiplayer games
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6682|BC, Canada

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Charge $1050AUD for Photoshop.

Wonder why people pirate it.
Yeah you gotta wonder, if they lowered it a bit would sales go up a lot? I will go buy movies and games, but if I want photoshop, I won't be paying for that one.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5381|London, England

Camm wrote:

Games are too expensive.
Music is too expensive.
Cinema is too expensive.
Stop being poor Scottish.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
gurdeep
­
+812|4778|proll­y

firebolt5 wrote:

gurdeep wrote:

can i pirate bf3?
Pirating multiplayer games
yo no se jajaja
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6716
No cracked games work online
Mutantbear

wow

no words
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6716
Am i wrong?
gurdeep
­
+812|4778|proll­y
V.v
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5725|College Park, MD

HaiBai wrote:

Uzique wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

if you werent retarded you would realize that i own my computer and i own everything on it.  i can change if i want to and that's completely legal and moral

edit: sorry for using 'jargon' i didn't know the word 'instruction' was too advanced for you.  i'll dumb it down for you next time.
you're retarded if you don't see how it's immoral to download a trial program and then modify it to run in unlimited mode.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

HaiBai wrote:

Here's my Christmas wish: I hope that one day, after spending hundreds of hours developing a new piece of software, that you sell exactly zero copies as you watch everyone steal your efforts. I wish eviction and starvation on your future family. Enjoy.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6716
When you publish or do a work of art in public for profit or not it enters public knowledge and is subject to reproduction. It's like singing a song you heard on the radio. Or photographing the mono lisa.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Superior Mind wrote:

When you publish or do a work of art in public for profit or not it enters public knowledge and is subject to reproduction. It's like singing a song you heard on the radio. Or photographing the mono lisa.
And no one has a problem with that, until it is distributed in place of the original.
-Frederick Bastiat
Mutantbear

Superior Mind wrote:

very different things
HaiBai

Jay wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Here's my Christmas wish: I hope that one day, after spending hundreds of hours developing a new piece of software, that you sell exactly zero copies as you watch everyone steal your efforts. I wish eviction and starvation on your future family. Enjoy.
if i did make a program, i'd put in some sick protection

actually, the program i'm making now that i plan to create a business for next year will probably require an active internet connection to my servers to run.  it's the only way that you can guarantee that your software can't be cracked

if other developers don't want to do that, it's their loss

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard