Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271
arrested development was always crap. i never understood the hype. it was one of those terribly 'gag' comedies that thinks by having a few (or maybe a lot in the case of AD) recyclable punch-lines and in-jokes that it was being funny. seems like an apotheosis of the worst forms of american sitcom/tv comedy to me. i've always found that stuff unwatchable.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6169|what

I just started season four and it's disappointing.

The first three seasons are great though.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5375|London, England
It was just a tired show that ended at the right time and shouldn't have been brought back. OMG, MICHAEL IS LIVING IN ODD PLACES! HASN'T BEEN DONE BEFORE!
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271
i just don't like shows that make up for a void of actual original comedic content by just treadmilling out a series of 'oh i get it!' signifiers and in-jokes. half of the 'fun' of the show is in being in that inclusive cachet-audience who 'get' it. yawn. write something original.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6754|Oxferd Ohire
it has both though
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4212|Oklahoma
Season 4 of Arrested Development started slow but after the 4th episode or so it took off and I loved it.  The registered sex offender theme fucking cracked me up every time it came up.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271

RTHKI wrote:

it has both though
i just don't like the style. there's almost like an audible pause every time a joke is told in which you're expected to recognize the mark and laugh.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6707|Devon, England
Tobias is just amazing.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

Doctor Who Series 7 Pt 2. Pretty good so far. I like it when the show departs from the one or two companion phase and brings in more allies with their own screen time. Up to Nightmare in Silver, which I'm told was the best of 7. Looking forward to watching tomorrow evening.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5602

Never watched Dr. Who and have zero ambition to do so. Am I missing something?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

Depends on what shows you like. It's science fiction in a very loose sense of the term. If you threw Pee Wee's Playhouse, Lost in Space and Back to the Future in a blender and ran it on purée for a bit, you'd get [something like] Doctor Who.

There's the new Doctor Who, which started with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor in 2005 and has switched actors twice now (it's built into the script as a regenerative process, if you didn't know). And the classic Doctor Who, which is everything else before that, which started in the 60's. Both sets are a part of the same story, and the fans all have their favorites. I watched the 4th Doctor as a little kid and remember enjoying it well enough. Got into the new series on DVD when David Tennant held the role, and have been snapping up the classic DVD's every now and then since.

tl;dr, go borrow series 1 (Eccleston) from the library and try it out. Worst that could happen is you wouldn't like it. Or as Jay would put it, "it isn't for people like Macbeth."
13/f/taiwan
+940|5715

Macbeth wrote:

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6788|PNW

If you want a one shot rather than starting a series from the beginning, try "The Girl in the Fireplace" from series 2. I think it was one of the best of the Tennant episodes and won't spoil much for you if you decide to watch more.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

no.

it's incredibly corny. the writing is terrible. the characters are 2d. it is 'purposefully' designed to look low-budget, or incredibly cheesy. it's weird. it's like purposefully retrograded and made to seem like one of the really cheap sci-fi's of the 1970's - the BBC knowingly cashing in on the original dr. who 'legacy'. watching it is painful. the only people who like it are dr.who fanatics or sci-fi geeks who don't mind watching something with terrible props and fucking hack acting, all because it adds to the 'charm'.

consider it like a 'cult' show, a la twin peaks or something, only instead of being the kind of cool-hip-signifying niche form of cult, it's a cult for neckbeards and aspergers-lites, who all think watching a show in 2013 with the costume/make-up and special effects of a 1970's b-movie is 'awesome'.

the single good thing about it is that hot asian chicks tweet me dr.who quotations, because i apparently look like the latest one.

https://i.imgur.com/eOhe33G.png

note well how i'm not even following her back. that's what over-eager dr.who fans deserve.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-06-05 06:14:07)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6701|United States of America
You know how all you white people look alike to Asians.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4212|Oklahoma

DesertFox- wrote:

Like "Masters".
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271

DesertFox- wrote:

she was born in the uk, educated at the best english schools, has an english mom, and is basically english in everything but racial exterior.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271

Extra Medium wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Like "Masters".
i don't think an asian is going to be bowing in respect or subservience to an overweight redneck any time soon.

more like "say hello to your new masters".
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4212|Oklahoma

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

"say hello to your new masters".
Like British people do to Muslims?

Teach me.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271
i have a few muslim friends but i'm not sure how anyone in england could say muslims are becoming "masters".

have you ever left oklahoma?

go read some more glenn beck.
Extra Medium
THE UZI SLAYER
+79|4212|Oklahoma
I listen to Glenn Beck on my satellite radio in my King Ranch Expedition thank you very much.

Go listen to Muhammed al bin Shitstain alJarqueery.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6754|Oxferd Ohire
didnt realize he was still a thing
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4271
i like redneck americans who have never left the south that tell europeans or brits that "muslims are overtaking your lands". really? we must be blind. thanks for warning us of the menace. we weren't aware. silly dumb europeans. if only we all had college degrees and an in-depth understanding of theology and foreign cultures, like a trailer-trash american from the monocultural south does. i guess your cultural radar is just in much finer tuning that ours is.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-06-05 08:55:33)

"Garth Marenghi's Darkplace"  similar to dr who?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6169|what

Darkplace is hilarious.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard