War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6755|Purplicious Wisconsin
Can't you recycle that waste?
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6538

why hasn't anyone thought of that before?
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6821|Great Brown North
rocket that shit into the sun!
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5515|Ventura, California

presidentsheep wrote:

Yeah, but the waste contains plutonium, uranium, etc stuff that you have to store securely for a long time.
Isn't the only waste from nuclear plants the radioactive-"proof" suits they use? I heard that somewhere IIRC.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6716|Canberra, AUS
???

No... the spent fuel is intensely radioactive, amongst basically anything else (although not as strongly radioactive) involved with the reactor core itself (because of neutron activation)
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6757

-Sh1fty- wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

Yeah, but the waste contains plutonium, uranium, etc stuff that you have to store securely for a long time.
Isn't the only waste from nuclear plants the radioactive-"proof" suits they use? I heard that somewhere IIRC.
no such thing as radioactive proof suits... those suits just detect how much radiation a person absorbed.

yeah as spark said the spent fuel is the scary thing.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6264|Escea

The Chinese were fiddling with reusing spent rods in a different type of reactor...apparently.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
zomg nuke general

Last edited by M.O.A.B (2011-06-02 06:10:06)

Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6040|Vortex Ring State

Cybargs wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

no such thing as radioactive proof suits... those suits just detect how much radiation a person absorbed.

well they also lower the dosage the person gets, they're lead-lined iirc
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6002|Places 'n such

Trotskygrad wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

well they also lower the dosage the person gets, they're lead-lined iirc
Yeah, most of the waste is just clothing and peripheral shit which is safe to just bin after a little while pretty much. The relatively small amount of fuel is the nasty stuff. Still a big obstacle though.

M.O.A.B wrote:

The Chinese were fiddling with reusing spent rods in a different type of reactor...apparently.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
zomg nuke general
Yeah, it's called MOX fuel. The UK wasted a fuck load of money (millions) making the stuff and when you're done with it, it's meant to be 10x nastier than garden variety nuclear waste.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6716|Canberra, AUS
I know there's a renewed research push in breeders, which I'm not sure I agree with. The new ones are much safer though.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard