Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

DesertFox- wrote:

The only reason you would raise such questions is if you're also operating with the assumption that someone with Muslim views poses some kind of threat. Meanwhile, you have the clown car of evangelical Christians already in Congress and some running for president in this country.
I would say evang christians are more of a threat to the separation of church and state than a muslim ever will.

Coke: i thought it was only the monarchs that can't be catholic and MPs can be whatever they are? UK unwritten constitution is a bit iffy.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6707|England. Stoke

Cybargs wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

The only reason you would raise such questions is if you're also operating with the assumption that someone with Muslim views poses some kind of threat. Meanwhile, you have the clown car of evangelical Christians already in Congress and some running for president in this country.
I would say evang christians are more of a threat to the separation of church and state than a muslim ever will.

Coke: i thought it was only the monarchs that can't be catholic and MPs can be whatever they are? UK unwritten constitution is a bit iffy.
Strictly speaking I don't think it was "illegal" for him to be PM, but he would have a hard time making appoints to the Church of England, which while officially is the Queens responsibility she does so on the advice of the PM and there is law against Jews and Catholics advising the crown on religious matters. (Disraeli was Jewish but was baptised C of E when he was young)
So while it doesn't really matter it would require some workaround so I think it's just seen as easier to not say anything, about your religion till after.

Last edited by coke (2015-05-12 16:01:04)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717

DesertFox- wrote:

I am 100% okay with Muslims and don't think they are a threat to the U.S. I could see Obama using him own personal experience living with Muslims and projecting it onto the middle east though. U.S.-Israel relations is at its all time worse while Obama tries to become friendly with Iran. A regime that is unapologetically our enemy. He probably trust and empathizes with Muslims to a degree that he feels upset about what the Israelis do to Palestinians and how the U.S. has treated Iran in the past.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

Iran isn't our enemy dude.  They were probably the most western nation before the coup and want desperately to be able to import our pop culture.  I expounded on this a few years ago.  Let me see if I can find the thread.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Iran isn't our enemy dude.  They were probably the most western nation before the coup and want desperately to be able to import our pop culture.  I expounded on this a few years ago.  Let me see if I can find the thread.
The shah got what he deserved. Oil made him wealthy and his own incompetence and greed brought him down. It's unfortunate that the mullahs took power after he was chased out.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei accused the United States on Saturday of using economic pressure and “bullying” to try turning his countrymen against Islamic rule, underscoring his long-held mistrust of the US, Tehran’s main partner in the nuclear negotiations.

Amid shouts of “‘Death to America,” Khamenei, who has the last word on all matters of state, reiterated in a speech in northeastern Iran that Tehran would not be pressured into giving in to Western demands in talks with the P5+1 negotiating partners – the US, the UK, Russia, China, France and Germany.

Khamenei denounced the sanctions and “arrogant” Western powers, blaming them and regional Arab countries for the halving of oil prices since last June, which has further added pressure to Iran’s economy.

A man in the audience shouted “Death to America,” a cry taken up by the crowd.

Khamenei continued: “Of course, yes, death to America, because America is the original source of this pressure. They insist on putting pressure on our dear people’s economy. What is their goal? Their goal is to put the people against the system.”
http://unitedwithisrael.org/irans-leade … otiations/
Straight from the horse's mouth. They don't want our culture.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714
Because a country doesn't want your culture means they're your enemy? top kek.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

More like, bc a religious figurehead hates the US it means the whole country does.  That's like judging Americans based on Rush Limbaugh or Pat Robertson or George Bush.

Cybargs, my whole point was that they DO want our culture.  Goddamn it's like responding to monkeys with typewriters.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
How many Iranians do you know? I am talking about people in Iran not your left coast refugee friends. Probably not too many. The best gauge of the Iranian people's attitudes towards the west is the one their government projects towards us. And it is extremely hostile. They never even apologized for the hostage crisis. Not even a half hearted sorry.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

How many Iranians do you know? I am talking about people in Iran not your left coast refugee friends. Probably not too many. The best gauge of the Iranian people's attitudes towards the west is the one their government projects towards us. And it is extremely hostile. They never even apologized for the hostage crisis. Not even a half hearted sorry.
Their power is built upon having a common enemy. Without it, the country fragments like Iraq. I wouldn't take it at face value.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
The Persian culture is ancient. They are older than the west. I don't think they are anything like the pseudo-monarchy Arab states around them. If you look up some of the countries stats, you will see that despite our sanctions, they developed into a powerful nation state. I don't see them fragmenting into anything like Iraq.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

I know plenty of Iranians (including a descendant of old Royalty there who I refer to as Putin bc of a funny LSD trip we had many years ago) but my personal experience is not relevant to this.

Why does the Iranian government constantly try to enact restrictions on American pop culture?  Why do Saudis?  Because it represents a threat to their existence.  Why do they need to enact restrictions?  Because the people fucking LOVE it.  It's like Nas said dude- "It Aint Hard to Tell"
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

More like, bc a religious figurehead hates the US it means the whole country does.  That's like judging Americans based on Rush Limbaugh or Pat Robertson or George Bush.

Cybargs, my whole point was that they DO want our culture.  Goddamn it's like responding to monkeys with typewriters.
i was talking to macbeth.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
I don't care what Jeb Bush or any other republican thinks about the Iraq war. Clinton voted for the war. That evil bitch has Iraqi blood on her hands. Why isn't she being held to the same standard? Yeah she said 'she made a mistake' about it and regretted doing it. Sounds like the same thing a slut would tell you after cheating on you. You wouldn't trust a woman after cheating, why would you trust a Clinton regarding a war?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America
It's odd that Republicans spend so much time arguing for rights of "the unborn". Who says they don't care about the Undocumented?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

DesertFox- wrote:

It's odd that Republicans spend so much time arguing for rights of "the unborn". Who says they don't care about the Undocumented?
top kek.

legally speaking (at least in aussieland anyway)

foetus' are not treated as a human being in cases of murder. so you shank a preggars woman you won't be charged with murder but with GBH or foetul destruction.
DesertFox-
So how about this Iran Deal that Republicans insist is the equivalent of the Munich Agreement and insist we could (somehow) unilaterally get them to get rid of all nuclear technology with _______?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
It is either this deal or nothing. The other G + 1 countries were tired of the sanctions. If we don't go along with the deal, we would end up in a Cuba situation where the US is the only country in the world with an embargo that does nothing to slow down the regime.

From what I understand of the deal, at the end of the treaty period Iran would be a paranuclear state. There are over a dozen of those already. Not really a big deal.
DesertFox-
Also, has political news always been as disheartening as it is today or was I just blissfully unaware until recent years? I really didn't read a lot of news until college when I had time on my hands. I remember reading in high school about Henry Clay being called The Great Compromiser during his time, and it's hard to imagine todays Congress coming to meaningful agreements on anything.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

Also, has political news always been as disheartening as it is today or was I just blissfully unaware until recent years? I really didn't read a lot of news until college when I had time on my hands. I remember reading in high school about Henry Clay being called The Great Compromiser during his time, and it's hard to imagine todays Congress coming to meaningful agreements on anything.
They've definitely become more polarized and less willing to compromise.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
American politics are not longer about running the country, they're about gaining control of tax revenues and handing them out to the power base.

Where is the benefit in compromise in these circumstances? There is none. The benefit is in hog-tying the opposition to present yourself as the solution - screw the nation in the meantime.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

American politics are not longer about running the country, they're about gaining control of tax revenues and handing them out to the power base.

Where is the benefit in compromise in these circumstances? There is none. The benefit is in hog-tying the opposition to present yourself as the solution - screw the nation in the meantime.
Patronage makes the world go round. What you said is true of every government in human history. The process of extracting wealth via threat of force tends not to attract those with altruistic hearts.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
There has been states in history and even today where the government has acted in the best interest of the nation and not just to enrich its leaders. They are almost always ethnically or religiously homogeneous and have a strong sense of nationhood and identity.

Israel would probably be the first state I would cite. It was founded on giving the Jewish people a place to live and has always felt threatened and under pressure by the others. And it has always acted aggressively to protect its Jewish people. Even to the point where most of the rest of the world hates it. Israel doesn't go around trying to push dubious ideas like free trade and democracy onto other countries.

To say every government has always been about making money on the backs of their citizens is cynical bad history. Sounds like something a battered domestic violencevictim would say to justify the abuse they go through.

Every country in history has been corrupt and selfish the same way every man has beat on their wives. The black eye I have is not that bad compared to that Russian lady whose husband stabbed her. I have it good
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

There has been states in history and even today where the government has acted in the best interest of the nation and not just to enrich its leaders. They are almost always ethnically or religiously homogeneous and have a strong sense of nationhood and identity.

Israel would probably be the first state I would cite. It was founded on giving the Jewish people a place to live and has always felt threatened and under pressure by the others. And it has always acted aggressively to protect its Jewish people. Even to the point where most of the rest of the world hates it. Israel doesn't go around trying to push dubious ideas like free trade and democracy onto other countries.

To say every government has always been about making money on the backs of their citizens is cynical bad history. Sounds like something a battered domestic violencevictim would say to justify the abuse they go through.

Every country in history has been corrupt and selfish the same way every man has beat on their wives. The black eye I have is not that bad compared to that Russian lady whose husband stabbed her. I have it good
Yeah, no. Stop being an idealist. Power corrupts etc.

Next you'll start spouting off about benevolent tyrants.

Last edited by Jay (2015-08-22 06:54:36)

-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Yeah, no. Stop being an idealist. Power corrupts etc.

Next you'll start spouting off about benevolent tyrants.
Stop being overly cynical. Cynism isn't a sign of intelligence. Often it is a marker of ignorance.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard