Gam Man
+5|6753
~110 degrees F/~77 degrees C, and thats only on idle!

I have three case fans, a blower, and a PSU fan; then a 2" heatsink on the CPU with a fan on top pulling cool air over it.  The heatsink is spick n' span, but the CPU never cools down!!!!

The intake is at the top side of the case, just above the CPU, two casefans are on the back bottom (barely above the AGP slot) and a blower is below the videocard.  So I expect that the cool air from the top of the case is being pulled down across the casefans and down to the blower, crossing the CPU perfectly...

I have not checked to see what the CPU temp will max at when playin a game, but I expect it is getting WAY too hot.  Please help!  I will be happy to provide pics if you want, but I don't feel like opening my case without a reason.

Thanks!
-Gam
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6831|Portland, OR, USA

Uh, 77 degrees Celsius = 170.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Which is it? 110F (which is totally acceptable) or 77C (which isn't).
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
Maj.Do
+85|6777|good old CA
dang thats hot, for some reason i dont like the idea of the intake fanon the top.  : / .  Do u have alot of lose cords in the case?

Last edited by Maj.Do (2006-02-15 20:32:41)

-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6754|Australia
er.... buy new HSF?

or new pc?
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6873|San Francisco

Perhaps the seal between the heat sink and the cpu isn't so great... You could always try reapplying thermal paste and resetting the heat sink and fan fixture... beyond that I don't know why it would be running that hot.
-=1stInF.|Slappey
+3|6779
1. I would use as5 to reseal the HS and the CPU. But first i would get a better Heatsink! What do you currently have, and what can you spend on a new one?

2. What size fans do you have?

3. Is your intake on the top of your tower, or the top back, like by the PSU?

4. If you live somewhere cold(like i do, Wisconsin), i would put the intake fan near a closed window. You would be shocked how low the temp can go when it's pulling in air that has been chilled(i have seen it drop from 50 to 30 when playing a game because of this method.)

5. I would also try changing one of the bottom fans to an intake(i am not sure if they are exaust or just to move air around in the case)
Havazn
+39|6719|van.ca
I used have an AMD Athlon 2000+ and it idled at 65 C. I've read that the core mine had ran hot normally. I had to use an oscilating fan in the summer time when it was 30+ C weather.

Reapplying thermal paste and setting the HSF can help. But if you're not going to invest in a new CPU/Motherboard, i'd say better get used to that temp
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6813|Hanging onto the UAV
Havazn's got it I think: the old 2000+/2100/2200's would run really hot. I forget what the name of the core is that runs hot, but this is likely the cause.

There's not an awful lot you can do, apart from thermal paste, good HSF and well-placed case fans.
Gam Man
+5|6753
Its 77C, I don't know, but SpeedFan is saying that 77C = 110F...

Using a different app (MSI's MB Manager) I got 76C.

I have hit it with thermal paste, cleaned everything, so without paying $50 for a different CPU cooler, there is nothing more I can do on that front.

The intake is at the top near the PSU, but the PSU is insulated so that it does not radiate.

If it seems somewhat normal, I will forget about it, I have yet to see any actual complications from it.

Thanks all!
-Gam
Buckaroo Banzai
King of The Echo People
+1|6721|Deep In The South Of Texas
Having the intake fan near the PSU not so good. It's likely sucking in hot air from the PSU's fan. Try moving the intake lower on the back, or better yet to the side or front of the case.
Gam Man
+5|6753

Buckaroo Banzai wrote:

Having the intake fan near the PSU not so good. It's likely sucking in hot air from the PSU's fan. Try moving the intake lower on the back, or better yet to the side or front of the case.

Gam Man wrote:

The intake is at the top side of the case
Life would be some much easier if everyone would just read the whole thread...
joe6600
+-1|6769
Its quite possible your useing too much heat sink paste, this is a common occurence......try buying some artic silver and using a drop about the size of a pen tip...........btw i think its time to upgrade..especially if your playing bf2
Ziggy_79x
+4|6711
Try installing a case fan in the front of your case if it permits it. This fan should be sucking air in and your rear fans should be blowing the air out. But it does sound like you either have way to much cheap thermal paste applied (applying more of a cheap brand is worse than applying more of say Arcitc Silver5) or your cpu fan isn't operating like it should or your heatsink/fan isn't rated for your cpu. But the athlon xp palominos, which you probably have do have high temps anyway.
Buckaroo Banzai
King of The Echo People

Gam Man wrote:

Buckaroo Banzai wrote:

Gam Man wrote:

The intake is at the top side of the case
Life would be some much easier if everyone would just read the whole thread...
Wow, nice. If my attempt to help isn't appreciated, maybe you should've just kept your mouth shut. If that's gonna be your attitude, then IDGAS if it runs so hot you can fry eggs on the "top side of the case".
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6831|Portland, OR, USA

Well he's right. Read the thread next time.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
Buckaroo Banzai
King of The Echo People

Viper007Bond wrote:

Well he's right. Read the thread next time.
Who the hell pulled your string?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard