krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6796|Great Brown North
Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head by a gunman at a public event in Tucson on Saturday. There are conflicting reports about whether she was killed.

The Pima County, Ariz., sheriff's office told member station KJZZ the 40-year-old Democrat was killed. At least nine other people, including members of her staff, were injured.

https://media.npr.org/assets/img/2011/01/08/giffords.jpg?t=1294511678&s=51

Giffords, who was re-elected to her third term in November, was hosting a "Congress on Your Corner" event at a Safeway in northwest Tucson when a gunman ran up and started shooting, according to Peter Michaels, news director of Arizona Public Media.

Giffords was talking to a couple when the suspect ran up and fired indiscriminately from about four feet away, Michaels said.

The suspect ran off and was tackled by a bystander. He was taken into custody. Witnesses described him as in his late teens or early 20s.

Giffords was first elected to represent Arizona's 8th District in 2006. The "Congress on Your Corner" events allow constituents to present their concerns directly to her.

Giffords is married to astronaut Mark Kelly, a veteran of Desert Storm. They have two children.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/08/132764367 … in-arizona

what the fuck is wrong with people!?
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6462|The Land of Scott Walker
Condolences to her family, she has died from the gunshot.  No doubt the Tea Party will be blamed because she was a Democrat.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6200|Ireland

krazed wrote:

what the fuck is wrong with people!?
Well, I think they are just corrupt but there is nothing new about that and it just pisses people off.  I surprised this shit doesn't happen more often.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6637|London, England

Stingray24 wrote:

Condolences to her family, she has died from the gunshot.  No doubt the Tea Party will be blamed because she was a Democrat.
I was reading reddit.

This is what I saw:

http://www.takebackthe20.com/candidates

https://i.imgur.com/eDr2J.png
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6637|London, England
Sarah Palin is the white female Alaskan equivalent of a mullah at a Bradford mosque
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6796|Great Brown North
hopefully it's just a crazy and not a targeted attack with any real reason...

there are still a lot of reports coming out that she's still in surgery where did you hear that she died?
13/f/taiwan
+940|5715
what part did she play in last year's controversal illegal alien bill?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6514

Stingray24 wrote:

No doubt the Tea Party will be blamed because she was a Democrat.
the Tea Party can't be blamed unless they find the gunman was directly paid/ordered as part of his job duties to perform the act.

what's much more dangerous and  probably in this case fatal is the rampant partisanship in this country, where people have come to believe they have to kill for their ideals, that rationale thought and discourse has no place in America today.

ATG may have been right, this country will one day maybe kill itself.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6421|North Carolina
She was shot in the head, but she hasn't died...  yet.  She's in critical condition.

...and to think people were wondering why the government was focused on observing right wing extremists.  Here's your sign.

It's also worth noting that the gun was automatic, so it was probably gained illegally, but I'm sure some idiots will blame gun laws on this.

Last edited by Turquoise (2011-01-08 12:48:47)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6666

Stingray24 wrote:

The only one who could be blamed would be Sarah Palin, given it was her stupid fucking redneck campaign that thought putting crosshairs on politicians was a good idea.
Stingray24
Do post where anyone advocated this ...
Reciprocity
+721|6597|the dank(super) side of Oregon
she's apparently still alive and responding to commands
Turquoise
O Canada

ghettoperson wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

The only one who could be blamed would be Sarah Palin, given it was her stupid fucking redneck campaign that thought putting crosshairs on politicians was a good idea.
Well, to be fair, she was playing to a captive audience.  I don't think Palin can be blamed for the already existent extremism among some rednecks.
Reciprocity
+721|6597|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Stingray24 wrote:

advocating would be illegal.  Innuendo, howerever...

though it's still too early to know what motives were involved.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6666

Stingray24 wrote:

That's why I said could not should. Are you illiterate? Putting crosshairs on opposing politicians and talking about 'reloading' frankly seems more than a little aggressive, and I'm quite sure it wouldn't fly had it been done about the President. It's poor taste if nothing else, but it never seemed too far fetched to believe that one unstable right-winger would take it too far, even if it was vandalism of her property rather than an actual shooting.

Still, I'm sure it'll turn out that the shooter was a huge Obama supporter.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5490|Ventura, California

Stingray24 wrote:

No doubt the Tea Party will be blamed because she was a Democrat.
Yeah, the liberals are going to make a big shit out of this. They'll use this to say how terrible the second amendment is tea partys are full of messed up people.

whoop dee doo

Condolences to the families of all the victims though.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Turquoise
O Canada

ghettoperson wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

That's why I said could not should. Are you illiterate? Putting crosshairs on opposing politicians and talking about 'reloading' frankly seems more than a little aggressive, and I'm quite sure it wouldn't fly had it been done about the President. It's poor taste if nothing else, but it never seemed too far fetched to believe that one unstable right-winger would take it too far, even if it was vandalism of her property rather than an actual shooting.

I think, if nothing else, Palin and the Tea Party in general will take a huge hit from this (no pun intended) among the media.  This incident tragically brings to light the existence of extremists among the right wing, and if it turns out that the culprit was a regular Tea Party rally attender, then it's definitely going to hurt the popularity of this movement among moderates.

Palin can't be charged with anything regarding this incident, but in the court of public opinion, it will definitely take her and the Tea Party down a notch.

There's no doubt that conservative leaders will likely take a less aggressive stance in the near future.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5374|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

I think, if nothing else, Palin and the Tea Party in general will take a huge hit from this (no pun intended) among the media.  This incident tragically brings to light the existence of extremists among the right wing, and if it turns out that the culprit was a regular Tea Party rally attender, then it's definitely going to hurt the popularity of this movement among moderates.

Palin can't be charged with anything regarding this incident, but in the court of public opinion, it will definitely take her and the Tea Party down a notch.

There's no doubt that conservative leaders will likely take a less aggressive stance in the near future.
There are extremists on both sides. It's not limited to the right wing. They're simply more agitated now because they are out of power. The left went a bit nuts during Bush's presidency if you don't remember...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Stingray24

ghettoperson wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Putting crosshairs on opposing politicians is over the top.  What I was looking for was where Palin had done so, having not seen any publication by her campaign that contained that material.  There are unstable folks on both sides of the aisle and I highly doubt a campaign ad would be enough to put someone over the edge.  Acts of this nature usually have a far more personal root.
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

There are extremists on both sides. It's not limited to the right wing. They're simply more agitated now because they are out of power. The left went a bit nuts during Bush's presidency if you don't remember...
I wasn't implying that the left is lacking extremists.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5978|Places 'n such
I bet shit all happens from this... Nothing will be changed, everyone will be angry and blame people for a week or so then it'll all be forgotten about until the next public shooting happens. Then the cycle starts over.

edit: whoever did this will be male aged 40ish? right wing and upset about something this politician did. Bet the media also find some evidence of mental illness or that his wife left him 3 years ago or something along those lines to blame it on to.

Last edited by presidentsheep (2011-01-08 13:22:54)

I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Turquoise
O Canada

presidentsheep wrote:

I bet shit all happens from this... Nothing will be changed, everyone will be angry and blame people for a week or so then it'll all be forgotten about until the next public shooting happens. Then the cycle starts over.
Normally, I would agree, but the victim is a Congress member.  That tends to have a more lasting effect on both the public's psyche and also on the government's response.
Stingray24
CBS just cut in to sports broadcast and the doctor states that the shot was through and through and he's as optimistic as he can be with an injury of this type.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5978|Places 'n such

Turquoise wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

Normally, I would agree, but the victim is a Congress member.  That tends to have a more lasting effect on both the public's psyche and also on the government's response.
Still, i'm betting that no major steps will be taken
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5374|London, England

presidentsheep wrote:

edit: whoever did this will be male aged 40ish? right wing and upset about something this politician did. Bet the media also find some evidence of mental illness or that his wife left him 3 years ago or something along those lines to blame it on to.
Mid to late 20s actually.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard