Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5396|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Correct. In a vacuum, one can say "zomg Americans were meanies" but we don't live in a vacuum and the reality is that the 'shock and awe' of the nuclear weapons dropping allowed the Japanese leadership to save face and surrender honorably (in their eyes, because the war was already long lost).
Only Truman believed that, no-one else did, but lets not start this again....
No, it wasn't only Truman.

Okinawa Order of Battle -
US forces deployed - 183,000
US forces casualties - 51,429 (28%)
Japanese forces deployed - 117,000
Japanese forces casualties - 110,000 (94%) + 42,000-150,000 civilians

Iwo Jima Order of Battle -
US deployed - 70,000
US casualties - 26,039 (37%)
Japanese deployed - 18,500
Japanese casualties - 18,300 (99%)

Peleilu Order of Battle -
US deployed - 28,484
US casualties - 9,804 (34%)
Japanese deployed - 11,000
Japanese casualties - 10,695 (97%)

Estimated Japanese troop strength on Kyushu, which was to be the next target, was 545,000. You do the math.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Roc18
`
+655|5829|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Dilbert_X wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

"In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003. "
But:

- When we bomb them its in the spirit of freedom and democracy

- When they do it its because they're evil muslims/japs/gooks etc
Point is, its just a mosque it's not promoting the sterotypical "death to america!" image us americans have of muslims. This whole ordeal just shows how ignorant alot of Americans are of other religions.

Being a muslim does not always equal being a terrorist and vice versa.

Last edited by Roc18 (2010-08-17 07:11:38)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5217|Sydney

Roc18 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

"In fairness, we've been building 'ground zeros' near Iraqi mosques since March 2003. "
But:

- When we bomb them its in the spirit of freedom and democracy

- When they do it its because they're evil muslims/japs/gooks etc
Point is, its just a mosque it's not promoting the sterotypical "death to america!" image us americans have of muslims. This whole ordeal just shows how ignorant alot of Americans are of other religions.

Being a muslim does not always equal being a terrorist and vice versa.
Watch out, that kind of obvious logic sometimes doesn't wash well around here...
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6511|Kakanien

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Correct. In a vacuum, one can say "zomg Americans were meanies" but we don't live in a vacuum and the reality is that the 'shock and awe' of the nuclear weapons dropping allowed the Japanese leadership to save face and surrender honorably (in their eyes, because the war was already long lost).

US deployed - 70,000

US deployed - 28,484

Estimated Japanese troop strength on Kyushu, which was to be the next target, was 545,000. You do the math.
the ~ 26.000 us casualties on iwo jima were 6.800 kia and 19.200 wia

the ~ 18.000 japanese casualties on iwo jima were 17.800 kia and 200 pow

so, the relation of us troops dead to us troops deployed is 9,7 %

just want to point out that casualties always mean kia + wia + mia
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6144|eXtreme to the maX

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

US deployed - 70,000

US deployed - 28,484

Its about facts, not numbers, I'll did up the old thread with all the records of the officers actually involved.

None of them, including LeMay, believed the A bombs were necessary or had any impact on ending the war.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-08-17 07:20:29)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6713|Canberra, AUS
You what?! I've heard LeMay defend the atomic bombings many times...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Ah here we go, http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 8#p2918678

Dilbert_X wrote:

"...in [July] 1945... Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany, informed me that our government was preparing to drop an atomic bomb on Japan. I was one of those who felt that there were a number of cogent reasons to question the wisdom of such an act. ...the Secretary, upon giving me the news of the successful bomb test in New Mexico, and of the plan for using it, asked for my reaction, apparently expecting a vigorous assent.

"During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of 'face'. The Secretary was deeply perturbed by my attitude..."
Dwight Eisenhower

"If we were to go ahead with the plans for a conventional invasion with ground and naval forces, I believe the Japanese thought that they could inflict very heavy casualties on us and possibly as a result get better surrender terms. On the other hand if they knew or were told that no invasion would take place [and] that bombing would continue until the surrender, why I think the surrender would have taken place just about the same time."
Colonel Spaatz - In charge of Air Force operations in the Pacific

"...when we didn't need to do it, and we knew we didn't need to do it, and they knew that we knew we didn't need to do it, we used them as an experiment for two atomic bombs."
Brigadier General Carter Clarke - The military intelligence officer in charge of preparing intercepted Japanese cables - the MAGIC summaries - for Truman and his advisors

It is my opinion at the present time that a surrender of Japan can be arranged with terms that can be accepted by Japan and that will make fully satisfactory provisions for America's defense against future trans-Pacific aggression.
Admiral William D. Leahy, the President's Chief of Staff - June 18, 1945

The use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender. . . .
Admiral William D. Leahy, the President's Chief of Staff

The first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment. . . . It was a mistake to ever drop it. . . . [the scientists] had this toy and they wanted to try it out, so they dropped it. . . . It killed a lot of Japs, but the Japs had put out a lot of peace feelers through Russia long before.
Admiral William F. Halsey, Jr., Commander U.S. Third Fleet

"it always appeared to us that, atomic bomb or no atomic bomb, the Japanese were already on the verge of collapse."
The commanding general of the U.S. Army Air Forces, Henry H. "Hap" Arnold

LeMay: The war would have been over in two weeks without the Russians entering and without the atomic bomb.

The Press: You mean that, sir? Without the Russians and the atomic bomb?

LeMay: The atomic bomb had nothing to do with the end of the war at all.
Major General Curtis E. LeMay

How am I doing?

"the decision to employ the atomic bomb on Japanese cities was made on a level higher than that of the Joint Chiefs of Staff."
Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the Pacific Fleet

So it was a political, not military decision.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

If you need your mind made up:
United States Strategic Bombing Survey: Japan's Struggle to End the War, July 1, 1946. Harry S. Truman Administration, Elsey Papers.
http://www.trumanlibrary.org/whistlesto … f#zoom=100
https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/Dilbert_X/Bombs.png
The Japanese were ready to surrender, the US knew this at the time - even if Truman did not admit it pretty well everyone else did.
And the Truman admin concluded the atomic bombs did not affect the outcome of the war.

Dropping one bomb was a marginal decision.

Dropping another a few days later - much too soon for the creaky and bureaucratic Japanese govt to act - was criminal.
The idea the Japanese people would petition their Emperor and achieve a result within three days of Hiroshima was fanciful.

They wanted to try out their toys and frighten the Russians - end of story.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Who really gives a fuck dilbert? Take your establishment hatred elsewhere, no one gives a fuck that you were diddled by a priest as a child.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

JohnG@lt wrote:

Who really gives a fuck dilbert? Take your establishment hatred elsewhere, no one gives a fuck that you were diddled by a priest as a child.
Sorry I proved you wrong.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5217|Sydney
Leave him alone, some people find it hard to have the truth pointed out.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Sorry I proved you wrong.
You didn't prove me wrong at all. You took a bunch of quotes from people well after the fact after more information was able to come to light and are attributing it to what people thought before the bombs were dropped. Hindsight is always 20/20 and peoples opinions change when the facts become known.

At the time, the war was becoming increasingly unpopular on the home front due to the massive casualties lists, the rationing, and just general war weariness. To those in charge at the time, this was perceived to be the quickest way to end the war.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

JG wrote:

You didn't prove me wrong at all. You took a bunch of quotes from people well after the fact
Two were before the fact.

"During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of 'face'. The Secretary was deeply perturbed by my attitude..."Dwight Eisenhower

It is my opinion at the present time that a surrender of Japan can be arranged with terms that can be accepted by Japan and that will make fully satisfactory provisions for America's defense against future trans-Pacific aggression.Admiral William D. Leahy, the President's Chief of Staff - June 18, 1945
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

JG wrote:

You didn't prove me wrong at all. You took a bunch of quotes from people well after the fact
Two were before the fact.

"During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of 'face'. The Secretary was deeply perturbed by my attitude..."Dwight Eisenhower

It is my opinion at the present time that a surrender of Japan can be arranged with terms that can be accepted by Japan and that will make fully satisfactory provisions for America's defense against future trans-Pacific aggression.Admiral William D. Leahy, the President's Chief of Staff - June 18, 1945
Oh, so you quote a general who never set foot in the Pacific or experienced the fighting there.

And you also quote a single person in the administration at the time voicing a dissenting opinion. Gee, I thought all governments were monoliths and maintained the same uniform opinion at all times.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5297|foggy bottom
eisenhower was a really a colonel anyways
Tu Stultus Es
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6635|Seattle

This thread has run it's course. Locked for duck season.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard